Windows 10 Fall Creators Update- October 17th

When you update outside the updater and go to 'View Installed Update History', there's nothing there, because you didn't update via the updater. Furthermore, when you go to recovery in an attempt to rollback your PC in the event of an issue, the updater will claim that such a process is not possible as, once again, you bypassed the updater.

This is a situation that I did not imagine.

Interesting because I have done a full rollback days later after doing an install from the media creation tool installer.

try doing an update reset. open an admin command prompt or PowerShell. type: net stop wuauserv. go to C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution and delete everything. reboot and try again.

sorry, but that did not work out either. ( it did not even get past the "update is being prepared" stage)

seems like i need to try a clean install.
i'm really angry at microsoft right now. ( wish win7 or 8 would work for kaby lake processors, so i could downgrade)

sorry, but that did not work out either. ( it did not even get past the "update is being prepared" stage)

seems like i need to try a clean install.
i'm really angry at microsoft right now. ( wish win7 or 8 would work for kaby lake processors, so i could downgrade)

So, based upon what you are saying, you have not yet created the USB installation media and installed from there, am I right? A clean install is not needed unless you have tried that and it did not work either.

So, based upon what you are saying, you have not yet created the USB installation media and installed from there, am I right? A clean install is not needed unless you have tried that and it did not work either.

sorry, i did misunderstand you earlier.
i updated from the USB installation media and that worked flawlessly. Thank you ManofGod !

I just did a Clean Install of the Win10_1709_Fall Creators update, and what a POS this thing is. I'm constantly getting the BSOD and PC keep crashing randomly!

This thing is worse that Window Millennium Edition. WTH were MS thinking when releasing this garbage full of bugs! I was better off with the Anniversary Update...

Hoping that the April update, will fix all these problems with the Fall Update!

Last edited:
I just did a Clean Install of the Win10_1709_Fall Creators update, and what a POS this thing is. I'm constantly getting the BSOD and PC keep crashing randomly!

This thing is worse that Window Millennium Edition. WTH were MS thinking when releasing this garbage full of bugs! I was better off with the Anniversary Update...

Hoping that the April update, will fix all these problems with the Fall Update!

I have no issues.
hal-9000-80-days-uptime.jpg

I don't think I am lucky since I have it on 5 machines and none of them crash. I think you may just be unlucky with this version on your machine.
All of mine were upgrades, so I don't know what to tell you, since you already did a clean install.

Did you get the latest version of the MS Media Creation Tool and then follow the steps in the [URL='https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10#d2784474-fdb0-4e9d-9e47-5e88c0e053ec']Using the tool to create installation media (USB flash drive, DVD, or ISO file) to install Windows 10 on a different PC[/url]?

The first link from windowscentral.com is from 11/2/2017 and there have been a number of updates since then.

The second link is for the Insider Preview Build and that's not a "ready for prime time" release.

Hope this helps.

I downloaded the ISO and created an Installation DVD. Did a clean install with 1709 & ever since then getting the BSOD.

I have an ASUS Prime Z270K with 7th Gen i7 Core processor & Nvidia GTX 1050 card with Samsung 960 EVO Nvme SSD

This exact configuration system was working fine before I did the clean install & had zero issues. At this point I've never been so frustrated, so trying to decide on which approach should i take:

1) Try to troubleshot the reason for BSOD (This may be hard because every time the error code is different)
3) Do a clean Install again, this time for an earlier release of win 10
2) Wait for the April release (that is due any day) hoping it will take care of all prior BSOD issues?

Last edited:
Try creating the installation media using the Media Creation Tool I linked above. You may get a better result. Especially if you're using the original 1709 .iso.

Try creating the installation media using the Media Creation Tool I linked above. You may get a better result. Especially if you're using the original 1709 .iso.

I dont see how that would make nay difference, but I will give it a try and see how it works!

3 different AMD setups (AM3,4) and an older Dell Intel i5 laptop .. plus a myriad of Intel & AMD desktops and laptops that I have did fresh installs on and upgraded to .. without issue. I did have some oddities on a real old setup that initially ran XP, Win7 , now Win10 .. until I found the right drivers for one of the components (I forget what it was exactly now) .. but running good now.

A strange this I have noticed is that the BSOD seems to be so sensitive. If I accidently slightly bump my Desktop I get the BSOD, another time I got the BSOD is when I moved my Desktop because I had dropped something. Similarly when I put something in the USB port, again BSOD. Never had some many BSDO back to back nonstop! All was fine before I did a clean install of the Fall Creators update.

A strange this I have noticed is that the BSOD seems to be so sensitive. If I accidently slightly bump my Desktop I get the BSOD, another time I got the BSOD is when I moved my Desktop because I had dropped something. Similarly when I put something in the USB port, again BSOD. Never had some many BSDO back to back nonstop! All was fine before I did a clean install of the Fall Creators update.
Installing an update cant affect desk vibration.
Problems start at some time.
Rebuild your PC.

Back