Windows 10 Fall Creators Update- October 17th

Doesn't do any good when your in game
run 2 screens and have the task manager on the second screen.

I use a G13 but it doesn't show GPU from the Task Manager, but it does show from MSI Afterburner.

run 2 screens and have the task manager on the second screen

GPU usage is a nice addition to the task manager, but really, it's just a pretty graph - Simple GPU utilization is useless for any real GPU diagnosis, you're gonna need far more than just utilization if you do notice GPU usage to be low.

It may look pretty on the screen, but there isn't much point to it and I'd still use either a third party package or (at least in the case of Linux, where Nvidia X Server Settings tell you every aspect of GPU utilization), the tools provided by Nvidia.

Its a good tool to have. I'd rather have it than not. I've used it quite a bit already. I run a computer with switchable graphics and it show both GPUs. I admin our network security cameras and its already been nice to see which GPU is doing the decoding since I would like it done on the Nvidia gpu, not intel.

Its just like everything else in Task Manager.. its just a place to get simple information.

Yeah, the GPU usage thing is actually really nice to have built into task manager now. You don't need to install a 3rd party program anymore to see if you've got something that shouldn't be there utilizing the GPU.

I don't know what changed with this update, but Windows generally feels faster. Edge in particular is a lot quicker.

Windows 10 now has an anti-cheat system for gaming called TruePlay

The new tech was added in the Fall Creators Update..."A game enrolled in TruePlay will run in a protected process, which mitigates a class of common attacks," Microsoft explained..."Additionally, a Windows service will monitor gaming sessions for behaviors and manipulations that are common in cheating scenarios...These data will be collected, and alerts will be generated only when cheating behavior appears to be occurring."...

http://www.pcgamer.com/windows-10-now-has-an-anti-cheat-system-for-gaming-called-trueplay/

Have some weird bug in Firefox with 1709 and latest Nvidia drivers. Only happened once but my tabs all went white but if I moved my mouse around I could see stuff get highlighted but couldn't click anything. Not the same as the black/white screen bug from 1703 but similar.

Windows 10 now has an anti-cheat system for gaming called TruePlay

The new tech was added in the Fall Creators Update..."A game enrolled in TruePlay will run in a protected process, which mitigates a class of common attacks," Microsoft explained..."Additionally, a Windows service will monitor gaming sessions for behaviors and manipulations that are common in cheating scenarios...These data will be collected, and alerts will be generated only when cheating behavior appears to be occurring."...

http://www.pcgamer.com/windows-10-now-has-an-anti-cheat-system-for-gaming-called-trueplay/

This sounds creepy.

In the processes tab, network usage seems misreported for downstream data. The percentage is right, but the actual value is way the fuck off. It's correct when uploading. The performance tab does not have this issue.

Weird.

4zsPeSt.png

Last edited:
I just updated and I have no GPU monitor in my task manager. Using a GTX 770.

My experience with the fall creator's update hasn't been all that smooth.

I've had weird system freezes and slowdowns from the start, and I did a clean install from the updated disk image. I'm trying to narrow it down and see if it's maybe a driver related thing, since I did go and grab the latest stuff from station-drivers (Intel INF, RST, Realtek audio, etc). But I noticed weird freezing / lagging at the first boot before I had even installed any drivers... so I don't know.

Just one of those things that's hard to pin down exactly.

*knocks on wood*

I MAY have narrowed it down to the Realtek HD Audio drivers v8261 causing the system freezing. How incredibly weird...

I may have spoken too soon. Powered my machine on tonight, it made it to the login screen and I logged in - and then it just sat there at a black screen with a mouse cursor. Three finger salute and task manager came up, I didn't see any obvious process hanging up or using up system resources. Hit the 'sign out' button and it took me back to the login screen whereupon I logged in again, and it made it to the desktop just fine. So fucking weird.

This is going to be really hard to pin down. Judging from the fact that no one else seems to be experiencing these types of issues with the FCU, I'd almost tend to suspect some sort of hardware issue and the fact that it happened now after the new Windows release is purely coincidental. Maybe my seven year old Corsair TX 750 v2 is providing dirty power and this instability is a symptom... it's the oldest piece of hardware in my rig by a long shot, but I can stress the hell out of the rig and it runs just fine. I'd think a failing PSU would make itself more apparent the harder the machine is pushed.

I hate shit like this. :p

I may have spoken too soon. Powered my machine on tonight, it made it to the login screen and I logged in - and then it just sat there at a black screen with a mouse cursor. Three finger salute and task manager came up, I didn't see any obvious process hanging up or using up system resources. Hit the 'sign out' button and it took me back to the login screen whereupon I logged in again, and it made it to the desktop just fine. So fucking weird.

This is going to be really hard to pin down. Judging from the fact that no one else seems to be experiencing these types of issues with the FCU, I'd almost tend to suspect some sort of hardware issue and the fact that it happened now after the new Windows release is purely coincidental. Maybe my seven year old Corsair TX 750 v2 is providing dirty power and this instability is a symptom... it's the oldest piece of hardware in my rig by a long shot, but I can stress the hell out of the rig and it runs just fine. I'd think a failing PSU would make itself more apparent the harder the machine is pushed.

Old PSU + weird problems = check your voltages for fluctuation.

I don't know what changed with this update, but Windows generally feels faster. Edge in particular is a lot quicker.

Yea it's the first thing I noticed they tweaked/removed a lot of animations, such as the login subtle ones and when starting edge etc. which makes it FEEL a lot faster. Personally I'm never fan of animations, as they just make the OS seem more sluggish.

Old PSU + weird problems = check your voltages for fluctuation.

Well software voltage monitoring shows everything within spec and fairly solid, but I'm a firm believer that software voltage monitoring is and has always been pretty much bullshit. I've put a voltmeter on the 12v rail (it's a single rail PSU) and it too is rock solid - but a standard voltmeter might not pick up momentary voltage fluctuations. About the only way to be sure would be to monitor the thing on an oscilloscope and that's something I don't have in my arsenal.

I have some new old stock OEM Seasonic S12 650 (SS-650HT) watt PSUs out in storage from that Ebay deal that was hot about this time last year... I might just pull one of those out and swap it in and see how the rig runs. If the issues magically vanish then I'll pony up the cash for a nice current generation enthusiast level unit. Those Seasonic Prime series PSUs that [H] did reviews on recently seem very nice for the price.

Well software voltage monitoring shows everything within spec and fairly solid, but I'm a firm believer that software voltage monitoring is and has always been pretty much bullshit. I've put a voltmeter on the 12v rail (it's a single rail PSU) and it too is rock solid - but a standard voltmeter might not pick up momentary voltage fluctuations. About the only way to be sure would be to monitor the thing on an oscilloscope and that's something I don't have in my arsenal.

I have some new old stock OEM Seasonic S12 650 (SS-650HT) watt PSUs out in storage from that Ebay deal that was hot about this time last year... I might just pull one of those out and swap it in and see how the rig runs. If the issues magically vanish then I'll pony up the cash for a nice current generation enthusiast level unit. Those Seasonic Prime series PSUs that [H] did reviews on recently seem very nice for the price.

Yep I've kicked myself in the foot before for troubleshooting a problem for months with never testing the rig with another PSU (granted I didn't have one readily available either). A bad PSU can send you to a wild goose chase.

Yep I've kicked myself in the foot before for troubleshooting a problem for months with never testing the rig with another PSU (granted I didn't have one readily available either). A bad PSU can send you to a wild goose chase.

I always keep a brand new 550w spare quality PSU in the workshop for diagnosis purposes.

I've had that happen a couple of times randomly in the past year or so. It's like the desktop just didn't load up. I never figured out what it was either.

I had the prompt last night, did the update, and it took roughly 30 to 35 minutes on rig in sig. The update seems to be working pretty well so far, and things do seem to be running smooth. I had no issues at all. Plex did an update yesterday too, and the amount of CPU/GPU used to transcode stuff dropped dramatically, like typical x265 decode would take nearly 100% and now it is like 10%. Everything since those two updates just seem smooth.

Don't know if I have it enabled or not. I'll check next time I am in the BIOS.

Not in BIOS, in Windows Power management. When you shut Windows down, it doesn't fully shut down, it goes into a form of hibernation that's supposed to speed up the boot process. The problem is that any 'speed up' is barely perceptible and it causes issues on boot exactly like the black screen you described - I always disable it and never have an issue.

Not in BIOS, in Windows Power management. When you shut Windows down, it doesn't fully shut down, it goes into a form of hibernation that's supposed to speed up the boot process. The problem is that any 'speed up' is barely perceptible and it causes issues on boot exactly like the black screen you described - I always disable it and never have an issue.
It's enabled in Windows. If it happens to happen again, I'll turn it off.

Windows has been playing with this saved-state shit for reboots (not power-downs) for a while.
Have had instances where a shut down and cold boot of a system would fix certain issues with stuck services. But a reboot would simply restore the services in the same fucked up state they were shut down in.

Windows has been playing with this saved-state shit for reboots (not power-downs) for a while.
Have had instances where a shut down and cold boot of a system would fix certain issues with stuck services. But a reboot would simply restore the services in the same fucked up state they were shut down in.

Technically speaking, it should be the other way around.

A shutdown will restore services in a fucked up state, whereas a reboot should perform a 'cold boot' and restore services. Either way, it's a 'feature' with dubious benefits that's best disabled.

A shutdown will restore services in a fucked up state, whereas a reboot should perform a 'cold boot' and restore services. Either way, it's a 'feature' with dubious benefits that's best disabled.

When I help out friends or have to deal with windows for clients... powercfg.exe /hibernate off

I mean really with even semi recent hardware booting from cold shouldn't take more then a minute anyway. I get that some people like to put their machines to sleep with stuff open.... but breaking people of that habit is for their own good. I turn off all the suspend ect options off on Linux boxes as well... again if I have a machine booting from cold in 20s you save a lot of potential headaches just disabling all the suspend to ram type crap.

Last edited:
for vega 56

nvidia no change..possible improvements to g-sync and freesync though

They are not testing gpu performance, they are only testing cpu performance, hence the 1080p resolution. He states they will be doing a gpu performance test soon.

In practice, I've seen the opposite behavior though.

When I help out friends or have to deal with windows for clients... powercfg.exe /hibernate off

I mean really with even semi recent hardware booting from cold shouldn't take more then a minute anyway. I get that some people like to put their machines to sleep with stuff open.... but breaking people of that habit is for their own good. I turn off all the suspend ect options off on Linux boxes as well... again if I have a machine booting from cold in 20s you save a lot of potential headaches just disabling all the suspend to ram type crap.

I never turn my Linux machine off, the monitors go to sleep, but it runs 24/7!

Windows Update updated my system to the new version yesterday...that was fast...MS must feel really good about it...with all the previous major updates (Creator's, Anniversary edition etc) it took weeks...I always prefer doing a clean iso install with these updates so I'll probably do it next week...feels pretty stable and everything is working except for my sound card software...seems like every one of these major releases breaks my Auzentech drivers

I never even knew about the 'Fast Startup' option in Power Options and how it doesn't fully shutdown your computer...I disabled it and noticed it does take slightly longer to boot but nothing crazy...I'm going to leave it disabled as the whole point of shutting down is for everything to shut down

I never even knew about the 'Fast Startup' option in Power Options and how it doesn't fully shutdown your computer...I disabled it and noticed it does take slightly longer to boot but nothing crazy...I'm going to leave it disabled as the whole point of shutting down is for everything to shut down

I tend to follow the same belief. Honestly, the difference in boot time is negligible, it causes more problems than it resolves.

Back