Windows 10 Fall Creators Update- October 17th

Look, this is a thread about a major update for the most popular gaming and desktop OS around, Windows and specifically, Windows 10.

The most popular gaming and desktop OS is still Windows 7, sorry. And will remain so for the next 5+ years unless MS creates a proper successor to 7.

Facts do not change just because they become inconvenient

Re-read that for your own benefit three times.

The most popular gaming and desktop OS is still Windows 7, sorry. And will remain so for the next 5+ years unless MS creates a proper successor to 7.

Steam Hardware Survey (http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/) shows Windows 10 ahead of Windows 7 by 15%. Obviously, this is gaming related, I am not claiming it is this way across the board.

I like to think Steam users are less swayed by the loud voices of people shouting into the anti-Win10 echo chamber. At least a little.

Considering most are running some form of Intel HD 3000/4000 graphics, I don't think many know what Steam even is. Most probably sighed up for Steam so the kids could play Five Nights at Freddy's on the Acer laptop.

Considering most are running some form of Intel HD 3000/4000 graphics, I don't think many know what Steam even is. Most probably sighed up for Steam so the kids could play Five Nights at Freddy's on the Acer laptop.

It looks at whatever you have installed and multiple GPUs are possible. I have for instance Intel 4600 Graphics on my i7 4770K and a GTX 1080 Ti for actual gaming and other stuff. So with there being SO many Intel systems, of course it is going to have mostly their GPUs.

It looks at whatever you have installed and multiple GPUs are possible. I have for instance Intel 4600 Graphics on my i7 4770K and a GTX 1080 Ti for actual gaming and other stuff. So with there being SO many Intel systems, of course it is going to have mostly their GPUs.

Possibly, however then you'd expect mobile GPU's by Nvidia and ATI to be comparable to Intel HD figures, which they're not.

I like to think Steam users are less swayed by the loud voices of people shouting into the anti-Win10 echo chamber. At least a little.
Gamers are hamstrung. You want DX12? Then you gonna eat shit. And eat it we do.

Well, I installed the 16299 build at home and it seems to work well. However, the Cortana Integration with Android still does not match what Windows 10 Mobile can do.

Ok, how about getting back on TOPIC?

how big (size in gb) this update? The last update cratered the cheap eMMc drive mini laptops (drives less than 32gb in size) and I need to know if that headache is going to be back in my shop mid Oct.

Gamers are hamstrung. You want DX12? Then you gonna eat shit. And eat it we do.

Really dude? If you think that way, please go buy a PS4 and hang up your computer for good. The fact is, gamers are better supported than any time before in the past and it is only getting better. In fact, the 16299 build, which I believe is very close to the FCU, has higher scores on Cinebench than before the update.

HyyMtl, I would count on the size to be about the same as all the previous major updates If you do not have anything important on the machine, a wipe and redo with the latest media, when it comes out, may be a better idea.

Really dude? So, if you hate Windows that much, why are you in this thread again? Oh yeah......... LOL! Never mind, carry on like you always do. :D On topic, looks like the FCU is coming along good but, I do not like that the fact that texting from my computer through my Android phone with Cortana does not show that I did so on the phone itself.

HyyMtl, I would count on the size to be about the same as all the previous major updates If you do not have anything important on the machine, a wipe and redo with the latest media, when it comes out, may be a better idea.

Gah. Not good. The way these machines are set up - (HP Stream is the usual model) - is, well, so cheap as to be disposable. But, people buy them cause they are cheap, and expect them to run longer than 6 months, which is when Microsoft pops out another update that BREAKS them.

So, lets put it in perspective: The hard drive is a chip 32gb in size. It formats to 26gb. The OS, and the Office supplied with this type of system, takes up 20+ gb. The user typically will have 1-2gb of data stored on the hard drive. If the update is larger than 4gb, there WILL be trouble due to 10's AUTOMATIC updating, the pc will automatically attempt to download the update... The pc chokes when it runs out of hard drive space... Which leads the system to crash... and not reboot.

Since it is an eMMc drive, it is difficult to get the saved info off when you cannot get it to boot, adding to the fun. Many of the recovery tools out there do NOT see eMMc drives. Formatting and reinstalling? A nightmare.

I do not see how these systems are approved by Microsoft for sale, as they get to break every 6 months.

Worse, the Average Joe User does not understand why this less than $200 laptop does not work well, and run forever... And they blame me when I tell them it will be more expensive to fix, than to go buy a better laptop...

Gah. Not good. The way these machines are set up - (HP Stream is the usual model) - is, well, so cheap as to be disposable. But, people buy them cause they are cheap, and expect them to run longer than 6 months, which is when Microsoft pops out another update that BREAKS them.

So, lets put it in perspective: The hard drive is a chip 32gb in size. It formats to 26gb. The OS, and the Office supplied with this type of system, takes up 20+ gb. The user typically will have 1-2gb of data stored on the hard drive. If the update is larger than 4gb, there WILL be trouble due to 10's AUTOMATIC updating, the pc will automatically attempt to download the update... The pc chokes when it runs out of hard drive space... Which leads the system to crash... and not reboot.

Since it is an eMMc drive, it is difficult to get the saved info off when you cannot get it to boot, adding to the fun. Many of the recovery tools out there do NOT see eMMc drives. Formatting and reinstalling? A nightmare.

I do not see how these systems are approved by Microsoft for sale, as they get to break every 6 months.

Worse, the Average Joe User does not understand why this less than $200 laptop does not work well, and run forever...

Yeah, they were much better back when a compressed Windows 8 live image was used on a separate hidden Windows partition. Then even a 16GB unit would be enough for general usage.

I, too, wish they would go back to that MoG, but... I guess that was more expensive to produce. I try to get people to avoid these machines like the plague. It really helps when the Local Schools decide these things are Required for their 4th graders.

Really dude? If you think that way, please go buy a PS4 and hang up your computer for good. The fact is, gamers are better supported than any time before in the past and it is only getting better. In fact, the 16299 build, which I believe is very close to the FCU, has higher scores on Cinebench than before the update.

M76 never made the claim that games aren't better supported under Windows 10, on the contrary that was his very issue and the issue for many others.

You may think MS are crapping rainbows with the advent of Windows 10, but many don't and many aren't interested in Microsoft's latest offering - However they still want to game, hence the dilemma M76 faces.

He is posting in this thread as a realist and a consumer with an opinion, the fact that it conflicts with your own bias by no means indicates that he has no right to post in this thread. Once again, you seem to be of the opinion that if people don't ignore the many issues surrounding Windows 10 than they have no right to post here, if they post honest and realistic opinion you troll them - Very odd?

Windows 10 Fall Creator Update apparently reached RTM build 16299.15 this morning. So it's ready to release in two weeks, probably with some additional day 0 point releases.

Windows 10 Fall Creator Update apparently reached RTM build 16299.15 this morning. So it's ready to release in two weeks, probably with some additional day 0 point releases.
yep running it here myself.......No problems yet

yep running it here myself.......No problems yet

For some reason, on my second computer, it will not install 16299 but only one of the older versions, even on the fast ring. Any ideas? The computer is fully up to date and I am using the same MS account that I used on my first computer that worked fine.

Ah, nevermind, I installed the 16278 through the slow ring and am now installing 16299 through that same slow ring. (It was supposed to do 16299 straight up but, oh well.)

So, does this update change or add any functionality on the surface or is it all under-the-hood stuff?

So, does this update change or add any functionality on the surface or is it all under-the-hood stuff?
It's more under-the-hood, with some mild visual changes. The System panel and the new "People" app in the taskbar are among the only telltale signs it's installed.

this doesn't sound like a major release warranting a new title- 'Fall Creator's Update'...sounds like the usual monthly patch...I usually reformat my system whenever one these major updates hit- Anniversary Update, Creators Update etc as it usually breaks something with my current system if I let it update through Windows Update

Last edited:
It's more under-the-hood, with some mild visual changes. The System panel and the new "People" app in the taskbar are among the only telltale signs it's installed.

What does the 'people' app do? Probably something yet again that needs to be removed.

this doesn't sound like a major release warranting a new title- 'Fall Creator's Update'...sounds like the usual monthly patch...I usually reformat my system whenever one these major updates hit- Anniversary Update, Creators Update etc as it usually breaks something with my current system

It's like Windows95 except with a crappy UI and Microsoft doing the breaking instead of you.

It's like Windows95 except with a crappy UI and Microsoft doing the breaking instead of you.
It actually works pretty bug free....but its like all the new features they add are designed for phones and tablets and are useless for us desktop people. When we can fit are home pc in our pockets all these features will be great lol...Sorta:)

So, 1709 or 1710? Pretty sure it's going to be 1709.

How many of you are going to nuke your existing install and do a fresh load?

I know I will delay a reinstall as much as possible. I don't trust this new 'keyless' install at all. I'm 100% sure that one of these days it's going to be 'oops we can't activate and no way to prove you got a license'.

I find it weird that someone would have contacts on a Windows computer but I guess that scenario is also possible.

Remember, it's a unified platform now. This OS has to run mobile devices as well, hence one of my biggest peeves with Windows 10.

I find it weird that someone would have contacts on a Windows computer but I guess that scenario is also possible.
anybody using windows in a business environment will have contacts(email etc) on their system.

anybody using windows in a business environment will have contacts(email etc) on their system.

Within Outlook, not as a separate application - That's where B00nie's concern lies, given MS's track record as late.

Last edited:
I have the 16299 update installed, which is the FCU final build, and File History is there and working. :)

I have the 16299 update installed, which is the FCU final build, and File History is there and working. :)

They back peddled on the removal of file history some time ago if I remember correctly. It's an outstanding system, the fact that they even considered removing it boggles the brain. Then again, it was becoming obvious that it was some vain attempt to promote personal backups via OneDrive.

My experience with the fall creator's update hasn't been all that smooth.

I've had weird system freezes and slowdowns from the start, and I did a clean install from the updated disk image. I'm trying to narrow it down and see if it's maybe a driver related thing, since I did go and grab the latest stuff from station-drivers (Intel INF, RST, Realtek audio, etc). But I noticed weird freezing / lagging at the first boot before I had even installed any drivers... so I don't know.

Just one of those things that's hard to pin down exactly.

My experience with the fall creator's update hasn't been all that smooth.

I've had weird system freezes and slowdowns from the start, and I did a clean install from the updated disk image. I'm trying to narrow it down and see if it's maybe a driver related thing, since I did go and grab the latest stuff from station-drivers (Intel INF, RST, Realtek audio, etc). But I noticed weird freezing / lagging at the first boot before I had even installed any drivers... so I don't know.

Just one of those things that's hard to pin down exactly.

*knocks on wood*

I MAY have narrowed it down to the Realtek HD Audio drivers v8261 causing the system freezing. How incredibly weird...

*knocks on wood*

I MAY have narrowed it down to the Realtek HD Audio drivers v8261 causing the system freezing. How incredibly weird...

Those fucking Realtek audio drivers, and I emphasize the word 'fucking'!

Well, I installed the fall update, 1709/16299.19. Everything seems fine so far.

Back