Windows 10 Fall Creators Update- October 17th

You knew exactly what he was saying, pretending otherwise.......... Oh, and this site is primarily a hardware and gaming enthusiast platform. On the other hand, this thread is about the most popular gaming OS around too. :D Looking forward to the new release.

The fact is that heatlessun represents a diminishing fraction of the userbase with his very specific setup and needs.

PC gaming is bigger than ever.

It's extremely rare to use bi- or tri SLI setups, use the drawing functions on office products etc. rarities he is constantly presenting as 'essential'. I don't know anyone (in person) who would use or need either of those for example.

You conflating a lot of different things. Multiple-GPU setups have always been rare since day one because of the cost. Ink on tablet, that's dirt cheap now with devices all over the place which can be had for as little as $100. I never claimed either thing to be essential however there's a pretty good market for digital ink devices and for those that have need for such a think it is a big deal.

it took 4 months to get dts encoding back from the last feature update. Time to tick that magic "defer updates" box. Still i hear it only defers for 4 months...

Feature updates starting with the Creators Update can be delayed for up to a year with Windows 10 Pro and above.

hardware enthusiast has become synonymous with PC gamer nowadays...besides professional graphics rendering why else would most people build a high end PC?

I know I'm late responding to this one but seeing as you asked.

- Amateur photography buffs / semi pros. There are a lot of $400-600 base level new to the hobby DSLR out there. For example my 14 year old daughter just got got a Canon T6 as a gift not long ago. 18 mega pixel raw images on even a beginner class camera can always use more ram / cpu horsepower. 25 mb per image and programs like Rawtheerapee / darktable ect love all the cores and mhz you an throw at em.

- Video work... almost the same as the last point. No most people aren't editing wedding videos, but again any half decent DSLR is going to take pretty nice 1080p video at least and yes lots of people enjoy messing with such things. Again perfectly acceptable reasons to want more then celeron performance.

- Encoding decoding video/audio... ok getting into a niche area there but hey gaming is niche as well. Again if your encoding old family videos or just resizing video you already have or making yourself some nice high end 96/24 transfers of your babied vinyl collection. Having a high end audio card is nice but you still need the horsepower to get the job done. (and yes GPUs are even useful in this area depending what software, and how elaborate you want to get. GPU compute isn't exactly new I have known people with pretty nice GPUs that barely game)

- Home studio.... this has been a thing for awhile. To be honest you don't really need a super kick ass machine to get the job done. However having said that if your using a modern DAW and want to mix a ton of channels with lots of effects... or your running realtime stuff like bitwig (or I guess stupid ableton on windows) having tons of ram and processing power makes things much smoother clearly. My sister for example has a machine most gamers would consider sweet and she hasn't ever played a game on it... its her recording studio.

- Creative types that like to mess with 3D and other types of Animation. Again this is niche still there are plenty of people out there that simply enjoy messing with stuff like Blender or Maya for fun. Perfectly great use of not only a high end CPU but also a High end GPU. There are also student versions of stuff like Houdini for the home tinkerer, or people wanting to dabble in pro level VFX stuff.

- People that like to mess with digital Art. Lots of people using things like Krita for fun. Pretty much anyone that buys a Wacom tablet from mid range down is not a pro. You still want to have a reasonable amount of horsepower if your into digital painting. You can stop by a site like https://www.deviantart.com/ anytime and see that there are plenty of people into digital art as a hobby. Lots of higher end machines in use by that group, and they may or may not game as well.

- Related to the Digital Art bullet above... fractal art types. Lots of people are into creating fractal art... the difference in rendering such art between low and high end CPUs can be a difference of hours. (and again the number may not be huge but there are people buying pretty beefy GPUs for this one use believe it or not I have met them)

- Programmers and software tinkerers. No its not a group as large as general gaming. There is however a surprising number of people that like to tinker with programming. Sure for the text input actual programming part almost anything is good enough to write code. Still more horsepower for compiling debugging ect is always nice to have.

There is plenty more I'm sure... but those are a few areas I can think of of the top of my head where you will find many people making use of higher end gear.

Last edited:
- Programmers and software tinkerers. No its not a group as large as general gaming. There is however a surprising number of people that like to tinker with programming. Sure for the text input actual programming part almost anything is good enough to write code. Still more horsepower for compiling debugging ect is always nice to have.

You don't need a lot of horsepower for many types of software development though the more power the belter. PC gaming is simply a popular task for PCs that generally sees a lot of performance with better hardware than most common PC tasks.

You don't need a lot of horsepower for many types of software development though the more power the belter. PC gaming is simply a popular task for PCs that generally sees a lot of performance with better hardware than most common PC tasks.

I think I just pointed out 6-8 things off the top of my head that really need just as much horse power as gaming.

As much as we want to talk and hear about 1080s and Threadrippers... lets be honest most gamers are more likely to have 750 TIs and i5s. Which is no different then what someone would put together as a mid range photo editing system. Now with GPUs I will grant you they likely sell more to Gamers and Miners then to people wanting GPU compute for doing fractal art. When it comes to CPUs though I would be willing to bet the market for high end CPUs with non gamers is just as strong as it is for gamers. Perhaps gamers may be more willing to buy the good deal mid road and overclock... but on the actual top of the line chips... just as many are going to photographers video editers and people plugging in their wacoms tablets instead of Saitek joysticks.

If you want one solid market you can point to and say look see gaming isn't the only thing using CPU juice. Just walk into any half decent sized music store in your city. What are you going to find.... tons of $500+ software packages, tons of break out boxs and digital USB powered mixers. High end PC monitors... and depending on the store perhaps even a few high end computer workstations. In pretty much every half decent sized city you can walk into such stores and see plenty of foot traffic checkout and purchasing all that CPU eating gear.

Last edited:
I know I'm late responding to this one but seeing as you asked.

- Amateur photography buffs / semi pros. There are a lot of $400-600 base level new to the hobby DSLR out there. For example my 14 year old daughter just got got a Canon T6 as a gift not long ago. 18 mega pixel raw images on even a beginner class camera can always use more ram / cpu horsepower. 25 mb per image and programs like Rawtheerapee / darktable ect love all the cores and mhz you an throw at em.

- Video work... almost the same as the last point. No most people aren't editing wedding videos, but again any half decent DSLR is going to take pretty nice 1080p video at least and yes lots of people enjoy messing with such things. Again perfectly acceptable reasons to want more then celeron performance.

- Encoding decoding video/audio... ok getting into a niche area there but hey gaming is niche as well. Again if your encoding old family videos or just resizing video you already have or making yourself some nice high end 96/24 transfers of your babied vinyl collection. Having a high end audio card is nice but you still need the horsepower to get the job done. (and yes GPUs are even useful in this area depending what software, and how elaborate you want to get. GPU compute isn't exactly new I have known people with pretty nice GPUs that barely game)

- Home studio.... this has been a thing for awhile. To be honest you don't really need a super kick ass machine to get the job done. However having said that if your using a modern DAW and want to mix a ton of channels with lots of effects... or your running realtime stuff like bitwig (or I guess stupid ableton on windows) having tons of ram and processing power makes things much smoother clearly. My sister for example has a machine most gamers would consider sweet and she hasn't ever played a game on it... its her recording studio.

- Creative types that like to mess with 3D and other types of Animation. Again this is niche still there are plenty of people out there that simply enjoy messing with stuff like Blender or Maya for fun. Perfectly great use of not only a high end CPU but also a High end GPU. There are also student versions of stuff like Houdini for the home tinkerer, or people wanting to dabble in pro level VFX stuff.

- People that like to mess with digital Art. Lots of people using things like Krita for fun. Pretty much anyone that buys a Wacom tablet from mid range down is not a pro. You still want to have a reasonable amount of horsepower if your into digital painting. You can stop by a site like https://www.deviantart.com/ anytime and see that there are plenty of people into digital art as a hobby. Lots of higher end machines in use by that group, and they may or may not game as well.

- Related to the Digital Art bullet above... fractal art types. Lots of people are into creating fractal art... the difference in rendering such art between low and high end CPUs can be a difference of hours. (and again the number may not be huge but there are people buying pretty beefy GPUs for this one use believe it or not I have met them)

There is plenty more I'm sure... but those are a few areas I can think of of the top of my head where you will find many people making use of higher end gear.

all of those are valid but they are not mutually exclusive...how many of those people game on their high end rigs?...I never said gaming is the only reason to build a high end rig...fact is that hardware enthusiasts in general are gamers...I'm not referring to Professional use, that's a separate category

I think I just pointed out 6-8 things off the top of my head that really need just as much horse power as gaming.

As much as we want to talk and hear about 1080s and Threadrippers... lets be honest most gamers are more likely to have 750 TIs and i5s. Which is no different then what someone would put together as a mid range photo editing system. Now with GPUs I will grant you they likely sell more to Gamers and Miners then to people wanting GPU compute for doing fractal art. When it comes to CPUs though I would be willing to bet the market for high end CPUs with non gamers is just as strong as it is for gamers. Perhaps gamers may be more willing to buy the good deal mid road and overclock... but on the actual top of the line chips... just as many are going to photographers video editers and people plugging in their wacoms tablets instead of Saitek joysticks.

If you want one solid market you can point to and say look see gaming isn't the only thing using CPU juice. Just walk into any half decent sized music store in your city. What are you going to find.... tons of $500+ software packages, tons of break out boxs and digital USB powered mixers. High end PC monitors... and depending on the store perhaps even a few high end computer workstations. In pretty much every half decent sized city you can walk into such stores and see plenty of foot traffic checkout and purchasing all that CPU eating gear.

All one has to do is look at how this stuff is marketed. In the HEDT consumer market gaming is the #1 task that companies market. Indeed the big ding against Ryzen/Threadripper in this market is it's gaming performance, that's really the one area that kept these parts from being grand slam homeruns.

all of those are valid but they are not mutually exclusive...how many of those people game on their high end rigs?...I never said gaming is the only reason to build a high end rig...fact is that hardware enthusiasts in general are gamers...I'm not referring to Professional use, that's a separate category

I know at least 3 people personally with high end CPUs and at least one of the with a 1070 that play next to no games. My sister has a i7 64bg machine she uses for DAW software. I have a cousin who works as an architect during the day and in his spare time messes with cad and blender type stuff, has a 1070 and as far as I know doesn't have a steam account or game much at all. I have another friend who got bit by the photography bug some years ago and has a fairly monster machine... cool guy he took off for a few years bumming around the world, came back built a high end machine and started messing with 2 years of DSLR photos from his travels.

On the pro side of things I worked with a woman for years who left, and became a wedding photographer. I helped her put together one very sweet photo crunching machine and I am pretty sure she has since gotten into video with it.

I don't know perhaps the people you know don't do any of that stuff... but really in my experience there are just as many amateur musicians buying both high end macs and building sweet powerful PCs as their are Gamers buying multiple GPU powered systems. I am sure there are more Main stream hardware buying gamers out there... but when it comes to the top of the line gear I don't believe gaming is the largest market at lest when it comes to CPUs anyway.

All one has to do is look at how this stuff is marketed. In the HEDT consumer market gaming is the #1 task that companies market. Indeed the big ding against Ryzen/Threadripper in this market is it's gaming performance, that's really the one area that kept these parts from being grand slam homeruns.

Depends how you read the numbers doesn't it.... imo they are home runs for gaming. 1080p gaming I really hope if you are dropping a thousand bucks on a 1950x you don't give a toss about 1080p. If you do you didn't prioritise your spending very well. ;) As I see it the biggest advantage of choosing a Ryzen for a gamine machine is being able to slide your CPU budget down and your GPU budget up. I get though that for some people they don't need no stinking budgets. ;)

No one is disputing that gaming is but one thing people tend to do on high end PC's, the dispute is that gaming is by far not the only thing they do on their high end PC's - Therefore this is a hardware enthusiast website and not a gaming website. Furthermore, a capable high end gaming PC usually costs around $2000.00, not close to $10,000.

Very, very few people here have PC's with costs approaching $10,000 due to such expense being largely unnecessary.

I build PC's in excess of $2000.00 PC's for retirees into editing and encoding their around the world trips in 4k, they wouldn't know the first thing about gaming.

Last edited:
I see you make an argument based once again on nothing I even said. Who said anything about other forums besides yourself? Oh well, you keep trucking on........

And this:

but, folks around here are mostly gamers first and everything else second.

Have reading/comprehension levels dropped in the US?

No one is disputing that gaming is but one thing people tend to do on high end PC's, the dispute is that gaming is by far not the only thing they do on their high end PC's - Therefore this is a hardware enthusiast website and not a gaming website. Furthermore, a capable high end gaming PC usually costs around $2000.00, not close to $10,000.

Very, very few people here have PC's with costs approaching $10,000 due to such expense being largely unnecessary.

I build PC's in excess of $2000.00 PC's for retirees into editing and encoding their around the world trips in 4k, they wouldn't know the first thing about gaming.

Most people who build or buy high end gaming rigs use them for other purposes and it's obvious from the marketing when the phrase "work and play" is used so widely. But there's decades of history that shows gaming driving high-end consumer PC hardware.

The cost of PC isn't all tied to compute performance. If one is doing tons of high end video work, lots of fast storage and good monitors come in to play and that'll easily burn through $2k.

Most people who build or buy high end gaming rigs use them for other purposes and it's obvious from the marketing when the phrase "work and play" is used so widely. But there's decades of history that shows gaming driving high-end consumer PC hardware.

The cost of PC isn't all tied to compute performance. If one is doing tons of high end video work, lots of fast storage and good monitors come in to play and that'll easily burn through $2k.

Gaming is but one thing you can do on a high end PC and the term gamer can apply to a casual gamer or a hardcore gamer. Fact is, very few to no individuals on these forums spend nearly 10k on PC hardware just to play games, as 10k of hardware is not necessary to play games.

And I never stated that high end video editing workstations wouldn't cost around 2k or slightly higher.

And not everyone who buys a high end rig for home use uses it for gaming. That seems to shock some of you. There are a ton of things you can do with a PC beyond gaming... some people talk like high end machines are useless unless your playing GPU intensive games or something.

[H] attracts plenty of PC enthusiast some of whom aren't big gamers. I am not claiming the Kyle isn't a gamer... and sure in his reviews he uses game performance as a benchmark which is fine even with people that aren't really into those games. As a general rule if his tests show a real world advantage in a good cross section of games that translates into other things. Considering how many bad reviewers their are in the industry, its easy to appreciate that Kyle is getting down to brass tax. There are not many sites out there that are going to tell me if X Intel chip is 5 or 15% faster in my favorite DAW software. But if Kyle tests and shows me that X is 15% faster in every game he tests it in, I know I can expect the same bump. If I need to know about more GPU compute type stuff for specific software there are places to find that... but in general [H] gaming benchmark breakdowns are reliable quality.

Anyway a lot of back and forth simply to say to many of us this isn't a simple gaming site. There are 1001 of those and most of them suck. [H] has become much more then that. They may not get a new review or some filler junk pushed every single day... but when they do publish something its always worth checking out. That is rare, and it attracts a pretty diverse group of fans.

Once again, to quote Kyle:

Friends don't let friends drive drunk, and friends don't let friends get screwed out of their hard earned cash buying a "gaming rig" like this. While Derek Kessler of Windows Central thinks this is the "most impressive production gaming PC" he has ever seen, I take issue with that. First, let's start with the fact that no "gaming rig" needs nor in fact wants an Intel Core i9 processor with 10 to 18 cores. You know as well as I do that all those cores do dick for you in gaming, and also give you a slower clock than what you would get with a healthy, and much less expensive 7700K. He also talks about installing four NVIDIA or AMD GPUs for this "gaming rig." What a bunch of horseshit. Those configs are not even supported in gaming nowadays. Hell, RX Vega drivers currently do not even support CrossFire, much less getting into a discussion about how CrossFire and SLI seem to be moving to the gallows when we talk about support and scaling. And of course we all know we need up to 128GB of RAM for those hardcore gaming sessions. All that said, the Acer Predator 9000 specs are off the charts, but it is NOT a gaming PC. If you buy it for PC gaming, you should be kicked in the nuts, along with Acer marketing, and along with Derek Kessler for what comes across to me as a paid advertisement.

Intel tried this same line of marketing in 2011 with its Core i7-3960X. We called it horse shit then (and Intel cut us off for the first time after that), and this type of marketing is horse shit now. Hell of a workstation or rendering farm though!

Gaming is but one thing you can do on a high end PC and the term gamer can apply to a casual gamer or a hardcore gamer. Fact is, very few to no individuals on these forums spend nearly 10k on PC hardware just to play games, as 10k of hardware is not necessary to play games.

And I never stated that high end video editing workstations wouldn't cost around 2k or slightly higher.

Most people who have bought or built a high end PC use it for more than gaming. It's commonly know that gaming tends to push the need and desire for performance more than other tasks in the consumer HEDT more than most anything else.

And not everyone who buys a high end rig for home use uses it for gaming. That seems to shock some of you. There are a ton of things you can do with a PC beyond gaming... some people talk like high end machines are useless unless your playing GPU intensive games or something.

People who build or buy these kinds of PCs know what they are capable of.

Anyway a lot of back and forth simply to say to many of us this isn't a simple gaming site. There are 1001 of those and most of them suck. [H] has become much more then that. They may not get a new review or some filler junk pushed every single day... but when they do publish something its always worth checking out. That is rare, and it attracts a pretty diverse group of fans.

No one is saying that but it's obvious that the content on [H]ardOCP and these forums largely caters to DIY PC gamers.

noooo, it caters to all hardware enthusiasts, gamers, streamers, workers even those filthy dirty cryto-miners...
and its roots were overclocking.

edit: and OT, my system updated to ip build 16291 last night. i now no longer have the water mark and i guess that's the fall update since I'm on version 1709. seems fine so far...

Last edited:
noooo, it caters to all hardware enthusiasts, gamers, streamers, workers even those filthy dirty cryto-miners...
and its roots were overclocking.

I didn't exclude any particular group I was pointing out the bulk of the PC content around here. It's clearly gaming oriented.

gaming is one of the more popular topics but its not the bulk. the site is hardware oriented and delivers info for all hardware enthusiast types. gaming just happens to be one of the easiest and most common ways of showing the difference between hardware.

ot, hows the update running for you?

gaming is one of the more popular topics but its not the bulk. the site is hardware oriented and delivers info for all hardware enthusiast types. gaming just happens to be one of the easiest and most common ways of showing the difference between hardware.

This site would be far less active without gamer traffic and chatter, that's all I am saying.

ot, hows the update running for you?

I have been running the latest builds on my Surface Pro 3 and overall I've been happy with it. There's a bug specific to SP3s in the last couple of builds that causes boot failures when it goes into hibernation, that wasn't too cool but and it took Microsoft about 4 days to issue a manual fix.

The best improvements I've noticed so far are related to battery life. Improved battery life is on Microsoft's list of improvements and it seems to be a good deal better. The fan on SP3 seems to run considerably less.

I didn't exclude any particular group I was pointing out the bulk of the PC content around here. It's clearly gaming oriented.

Of which it is most definitely not.

As a [H] user in various forms from the very beginning I know only too well what this forum is and what it stands for.

Of which it is most definitely not.

As a [H] user in various forms from the very beginning I know only too well what this forum is and what it stands for.

why is this such a big deal to you?...who cares if one person sees this as more of a gaming enthusiast site or another thinks of it as an overclocking site...the site can be many things to different people...perceptions can vary based on how one uses the site

why is this such a big deal to you?...who cares if one person sees this as more of a gaming enthusiast site or another thinks of it as an overclocking site...the site can be many things to different people...perceptions can vary based on how one uses the site

If you don't like it feel free to put me on your block list.

Click user name > Ignore = Done.

If you don't like it feel free to put me on your block list.

Click user name > Ignore = Done.

I've never blocked anyone ever on any forum...seems silly...this is a thread about the Windows 10 Fall Update and technically you've been going OT and threadcrapping it for many posts now (which is technically against forum rules)

I've never blocked anyone ever on any forum...seems silly...this is a thread about the Windows 10 Fall Update and technically you've been going OT and threadcrapping it for many posts now

Oh well, I'll block you.

Then I don't have to listen to you having a problem with my posts?

There we go, done. It was Heatlesssun dragging the thread off topic once again with factually incorrect postings.

Look, this is a thread about a major update for the most popular gaming and desktop OS around, Windows and specifically, Windows 10. Facts do not change just because they become inconvenient and most everyone here is a PC gamer and hardware enthusiast. Truth is, you do not care to admit when you are wrong and never have done so and that is cool, you stay being you.....

I know what the response will be: I have nothing good to say about anything and I am always wrong! LOL! (Directed at me personally, I mean.) :D You even blamed someone else for what you did right in the post.\

Heatless, does the Cortana Integration with Android and Windows 10 FCU work as they said it would?

Heatless, does the Cortana Integration with Android and Windows 10 FCU work as they said it would?

I've not tried this myself, it was just released and a new build, 16294, just came out 30 minutes ago so no one has really done much testing yet.

Oh well, I'll block you.

Then I don't have to listen to you having a problem with my posts?

There we go, done. It was Heatlesssun dragging the thread off topic once again with factually incorrect postings.

lol...am I supposed to be sad?...who cares...and honestly if you're really going to block someone doesn't it make sense to just block them?...why put on a big production and announce it for?...attention?...maybe if it was some long time member who's name is familiar I can slightly take it a bit more seriously but I've literally only started noticing BulletDust's name in the last few months in the OS threads...

I've always built my PCs primarily for gaming, secondarily for work/school. But as I've gotten older, I've come to appreciate the raw horsepower for non gaming tasks. The ability to run more cores and threads is becoming more valuable for reasons stated by others.

1) I encode a lot of video - I regularly rip DVDs from netflix so I can watch on a device of my choosing (the selection from dvd.com is way better than the streaming selection)
2) I still buy CD ROMs and rip them into FLAC files
3) I'm often streaming FLAC files over my network
4) There's usually a handful of windows open at the same time
5) Digital photography is getting taxing - we spend time touching up photos and whatnot
6) And there's usually some phone or other device connected to the PC transferring files and getting backed up or receiving updates and whatnot

This is oftentimes all going on at the same time. The enthusiast PC still has a purpose, and if it plays games great as well - then score! :)

jc stop acting like 3 year olds

ON TOPIC: I am excited for the new security features and intrusion detection that will be available after the update. IBM had a good talk on Windows Defender ATP at DEFCON this year if anyone cares

Well, I am downloading and installing the 16299 build for one reason: I want the Cortana integration between my Honor 6x and my computer. That is one thing that Windows Mobile has done quite well that is not yet there in Android, at least until now.

Microsoft sells signature edition "bloatware" free Windows PCs. Now with Windows 10, they are just OEM bloatware free. Clean install of Windows installs several non-Microsoft applications.

Bunch of hypocrites?

I know at least 3 people personally with high end CPUs and at least one of the with a 1070 that play next to no games. My sister has a i7 64bg machine she uses for DAW software. I have a cousin who works as an architect during the day and in his spare time messes with cad and blender type stuff, has a 1070 and as far as I know doesn't have a steam account or game much at all. I have another friend who got bit by the photography bug some years ago and has a fairly monster machine... cool guy he took off for a few years bumming around the world, came back built a high end machine and started messing with 2 years of DSLR photos from his travels.

On the pro side of things I worked with a woman for years who left, and became a wedding photographer. I helped her put together one very sweet photo crunching machine and I am pretty sure she has since gotten into video with it.

I don't know perhaps the people you know don't do any of that stuff... but really in my experience there are just as many amateur musicians buying both high end macs and building sweet powerful PCs as their are Gamers buying multiple GPU powered systems. I am sure there are more Main stream hardware buying gamers out there... but when it comes to the top of the line gear I don't believe gaming is the largest market at lest when it comes to CPUs anyway.
My sister's office issues i7 laptops for running Microsoft Office. She only deals with Word and Excel files.

My sister's office issues i7 laptops for running Microsoft Office. She only deals with Word and Excel files.

Heh, "i7" doesnt mean anything in laptops unless they have an HQ after the model number. Most "i7" cpus in laptops are dual core and slower than a desktop i3.

I ran out of ram on my work rig a few days ago. I Have 8 Gigs. All it took was some object modeling in Ansys AIM and it started cracking at the seams. I need moar ram. It's really cheap here, too.

Back