Windows 10 Fall Creators Update Is Borking Razer Machines

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Razer, the high-end gaming manufacturer which is about to enter the gaming phone market, is finding that its products are being hit by the curse of Windows update. A poster in the Razer forums called Kokorone said: "It is known that all Razer laptop systems are incompatible with Windows 10 Version 1709 Build 16299.15 that is rolling out today. DO NOT UPDATE.”

"Razer has not updated compatibility with their drivers to support this version of windows and it renders the trackpad, keyboard, and USB features useless when waking from sleep mode on battery power. Reinstalling drivers or talking to Razer support will do nothing to fix your issue. The only fix is to roll back to Creators Update until Razer gets their sh*t together and fixes the problem."

giphy.gif

The Fall Update broke defrag service for me, so no scheduled TRIM,... Noticed because i always do a Reset after the big named updates and I needed to run shink on C: volume. Noticed defrag.exe and its GUI control panel werent working.

A full Reset fixed everything. I had no issues before the update.

The Fall update borked my system. I had to rollback to the last build...everything a ok once it was rolled back.

After both the AU and the CU bricked my Windows 10 installation, requiring a full PC installation to fix, I learned to not accept major Windows 10 updates unless I'm willing to completely reinstall the entire system fresh. Modern Microsoft QA is nothing like what it was before Satya Nadella became Microsoft's CEO. Nadella fired most of Microsoft's test engineering staff, and completely revamped the test / release pipeline within Microsoft - and the results are clear that it has been for the worse.

Best to turn off the Windows Update service in Windows 10, to not have to deal with its messes, IMO.

The FCU looks like it's just a bunch of bloat, anyways. Just more stuff I won't use, that will take up storage space and possibly cause issues and create further avenues for security vulnerabilities.

My Fall 2016 Stealth updated last night, will keep it on the charger and out of sleep mode until a fix is out.

So when you have driver problems with the OS with the broadest driver support in the world, the fix is to move to an OS with possibly the shittiest driver support in the world?

You have a weird way of fixing things.

InB4 "if you can't write your own device drivers, you shouldn't even be using a computer!"

I am 100% ok with doing a quick 30 minute Reset My PC every 6 months as the price of getting new and significant features constantly.
What is significant about it apart from fucking with various people's settings and defaults?

So you are ok with manually finding security patches for Office and Windows and installing them weekly?
While I saw your point and liked the post. I never actually use Microsofts office anymore. Votes? How many of us actually still use Microsofts Office?

Well, hopefully, Razer will fix the issues for the customers quickly. That said, the number of folks having issues with the FCU, at least major issues, are significantly small when compared to the total number of installations out there. So far, I have yet to run into a major issue with the FCU and I am an IT professional.

InB4 "if you can't write your own device drivers, you shouldn't even be using a computer!"
No, but if you are in the business of manufacturing computers that will primarily be used with the world's leading currently developed desktop OS, you probably should be doing some good internal testing, as these builds are available to OEM's well before being pushed out to end users.

I probably need to wipe and re-install anyway. Haven't done that since I first built my system 5 years ago, and have gone through three video cards, upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10, and migrating to an SSD.

Yet this is in reference to your home pc. Aka your gaming rig. Who pays for Office for your home pc anymore?
Me. Can't get anything like Publisher and Access, and once you are used to Excel, open source spreadsheets just don't cut it.

Yet this is in reference to your home pc. Aka your gaming rig. Who pays for Office for your home pc anymore?
All of those employees and IT Dept people go home where they most likely have Office as well. Some companies have programs where you pay $10-$20 for Office and are licensed to use it as long as you work for that company.

WTF is Microsoft doing that requires them to build all new drivers for every item every build?!?!

It has to do I believe with how everything is signed off by the OS. When you update the kernel itself they have to rebuild all the drivers as the security hash / whatever has changed.

Geez, Razor...get your shit together. Should be a non-issue with the amount you charge for your systems.

All of those employees and IT Dept people go home where they most likely have Office as well. Some companies have programs where you pay $10-$20 for Office and are licensed to use it as long as you work for that company.

Yep...I'm an IT Field Tech and have directed well over 100 people at work to the MS Office company partner program that lets them buy the Pro Plus edition of '13 or '16 for a twenty dollar bill each.

It has to do I believe with how everything is signed off by the OS. When you update the kernel itself they have to rebuild all the drivers as the security hash / whatever has changed.

Sounds like a way to get more licensing fees from vendors.

After both the AU and the CU bricked my Windows 10 installation, requiring a full PC installation to fix, I learned to not accept major Windows 10 updates unless I'm willing to completely reinstall the entire system fresh.

Please don't take this as dismissing your troubles, but after having installed and updated dozens upon dozens of Windows 10 machines, through all of the major updates, and only having a handful with any issues (certainly none with an issue every single update), it gives me pause to hear that every update for you has required a full reinstall of the OS. At that point I would start looking at my own configuration.

I am 100% ok with doing a quick 30 minute Reset My PC every 6 months as the price of getting new and significant features constantly.

Please elaborate on these "New and significant features" - because I haven't seen any. The return of Onedrive placeholders - a feature that already existed but they removed 2.5 years ago, and some extra emoji's. What am I missing?

Last edited:
Off Topic
Plenty of people. Some are able to acquire it really cheap due to special licensing agreements and many others have a 365 subscription.
Interesting. I find that literally insane but hey. To each his or her own.
For the rest of us that arn't into signing up for "subscriptions" for Microsoft reworking the same product for the 25th time. There is https://www.libreoffice.org/ or another dozen. Join us or help sponsor the work. :)

shit happens. you cannot realistically expect ms to test every one of the millions and millions of different config possibilities in the pc world. somebody at razor or any oem should be testing on preview releases. there is probably an update available or one on the way later today to correct the issue like in the other thread about the usb glitch.

edit: now the razor forum is down until tomorrow so one cannot every confirm this....

shit happens. you cannot realistically expect ms to test every one of the millions and millions of different config possibilities in the pc world.

Except this bullshit didn't happen in the service pack days, back when real software engineers ran the show instead of a selfie-obsessed millennial and her band of marketing majors. Back before MS fired the entire QA division and believed customers would make great beta testers.

No one reasonable could look at the pattern of botched Windows 10 updates since its inception, and not conclude that things have taken a drastic turn for the worse.

It used to be that you could just trust windows updates. Now you have to be on guard for them.

Last edited:
Please don't take this as dismissing your troubles, but after having installed and updated dozens upon dozens of Windows 10 machines, through all of the major updates, and only having a handful with any issues (certainly none with an issue every single update), it gives me pause to hear that every update for you has required a full reinstall of the OS. At that point I would start looking at my own configuration.
That's the problem, others in the world either dismiss your problem as hokum, or comment "I didn't have a problem". There is significant proof out there that Win 10 has been a significant problem for a great number of people. It may not have been you, but others that had the problem. It is not always a problem with hardware. MS has a huge job, and it has gotten worse at supporting the billions of configurations available on Windows. Pro and Con of Windows, the problem is they changed how they test. It probably will never go back to the way it was, because the reasons "security", and "that is what we decided, and you installed the software and so doing agreed to the terms, so we are right".

Last edited:
Well dozens and dozens! Since there are only probably a few dozen more Win 10 machines in the world than what you have worked on, they are just a bunch of babies!

Not everybody uses their machine the same or the same MB, or ram, peripherals, etc.

Well dozens and dozens! Since there are only probably a few dozen more Win 10 machines in the world than what you have worked on, they are just a bunch of babies!

Not everybody uses their machine the same or the same MB, or ram, peripherals, etc.

Dozens of machines on completely varying hardware sets...against a sample size of one, I am going to stick with my anecdotal evidence. Also, I would add that before W10 I would have never even considered doing a Windows upgrade path, but W7/8 -> W10 has been really solid for virtually every machine I have performed it on. Honestly, I think I have only seen it fail once, and that turned out to be a failing HDD. So the idea that MS's QA has somehow gotten worse seems a fallacy to me.

Again, not saying this person didn't have any issues...I know they do occur, but at a certain point you can't keep pointing the finger at MS.

I have heard way more success stories with the upgrades than I have failures, though if you only read [H] I can see why you might think it's completely FUBARed...

Dozens of machines on completely varying hardware sets...against a sample size of one, I am going to stick with my anecdotal evidence. Also, I would add that before W10 I would have never even considered doing a Windows upgrade path, but W7/8 -> W10 has been really solid for virtually every machine I have performed it on. Honestly, I think I have only seen it fail once, and that turned out to be a failing HDD. So the idea that MS's QA has somehow gotten worse seems a fallacy to me.

Again, not saying this person didn't have any issues...I know they do occur, but at a certain point you can't keep pointing the finger at MS.

I have heard way more success stories with the upgrades than I have failures, though if you only read [H] I can see why you might think it's completely FUBARed...
The fact of the matter is lots of people have had problems, just because you had only a few doesn't make it a statistical truth. Anecdotal evidence doesn't take into account a proper sample size, or any other variable needed for it to be statistically correct.

The problems are real, and others seem to take delight in saying "you are wrong, I didn't have problems". What about MS just recently patching machines that should never have been touched because they were supposed to be controlled by WSUS? What about the article we are discussing where people's gaming laptops are now hosed? Why do you want to tell everyone that everything is fine in your world so there is not a problem?

The fact of the matter is lots of people have had problems, just because you had only a few doesn't make it a statistical truth. Anecdotal evidence doesn't take into account a proper sample size, or any other variable needed for it to be statistically correct.

The problems are real, and others seem to take delight in saying "you are wrong, I didn't have problems". What about MS just recently patching machines that should never have been touched because they were supposed to be controlled by WSUS? What about the article we are discussing where people's gaming laptops are now hosed? Why do you want to tell everyone that everything is fine in your world so there is not a problem?

Except I do not see anyone here saying or taking delight in saying "you are wrong, I didn't have problems". In fact, just because you are having problems does not mean the problems are widespread but that does not make them unimportant. Pointing fingers does not provide a solution, if you are truly looking for one, that is.

Back