Windows 10 Enterprise Getting "InPrivate Desktop" Sandboxed Execution Feature

Discussion in '[H]ard|OCP Front Page News' started by Montu, Aug 9, 2018.

1. Montu

Montu [H]ard DCOTM x4

Microsoft is adding an "InPrivate Desktop" to Windows 10 Enterprise sometime in the future. According to Bleeping Computer this feature will allow admins to run untested/untrusted software in a VM sandbox. No word on whether Hyper-V has to be installed on the OS. Hyper-V or not, this is a nice feature to have baked into the OS and I'm sure admins will find it very useful. I just wish this feature would roll out to lesser versions of the OS.

"InPrivate Desktop (Preview) provides admins a way to launch a throwaway sandbox for secure, one-time execution of untrusted software," the Feedback Hub questions explains. "This is basically an in-box, speedy VM that is recycled when you close the app!"

2. katanaD

katanaD [H]ard|Gawd

while VMware workstation is great for this, having a nice throw away VM built in would be very handy. Hopefully it will trickle down

3. xmadror

xmadror Limp Gawd

This further confirms that enterprise is the only interesting version of win10

4. TheOne&OnlyZeke

TheOne&OnlyZeke 100% Irish

This is very interesting and very handy
    Now...lets see if work will buy me some Ent licenses
    :)

5. Spaceninja

Spaceninja [H]ard|Gawd

We buy the Action Pack every year, $425 gives you 10 support calls and a boat load of software. I think last year we used 3 of the support calls and saved us/our customers a boat load of cash.

6. IdiotInCharge

IdiotInCharge Not the Idiot YOU are Looking for

Not out of reach for a homelabber/developer, but still a bit steep...

On another note, can you even get Enterprise licenses, like, as an individual?

7. Spaceninja

Spaceninja [H]ard|Gawd

That is the only way I know of.

IdiotInCharge likes this.
  8. IdiotInCharge

IdiotInCharge Not the Idiot YOU are Looking for

Kind of what I was thinking.

So I'd hope that this feature makes it to 'Pro', given that we have Hyper-V on Pro and that works a charm.

9. Spidey329

Spidey329 [H]ardForum Junkie

I hope they roll this down to other versions as it sounds really useful for sandboxing things.

I use Sandboxie for basic segmentation or risky files, but a more integrated solution would be useful.