Windows 10 Downloads Bend, But Don't Break, The Internet

HardOCP News

[H] News
Everyone that expected Windows 10 to break the internet today can calm down, everything is going just fine. ;)

Some people feared that Windows 10 download traffic could break the Internet with traffic peaks of up to 40 Terabits per second (TBps). That doesn't seem to be happening. While Microsoft declined to say exactly how they're handling the demand, we do know some things about how Microsoft is delivering Windows 10's bits to your computer.

I would believe they're using the cloud thus "windows as a service" which means we will pay for it eventually. I don't believe Microsoft would hand out windows 10 for free without some kind of catch.

I think this would be a great reasoning to use bit-torrent (legally).

I would believe they're using the cloud thus "windows as a service" which means we will pay for it eventually. I don't believe Microsoft would hand out windows 10 for free without some kind of catch.

Had a great aunt who used to say- "If they say no strings attached, there's chains attached"

This looks like chains attached to me.

I was expecting a long slow download.

Instead it downloaded at 160Mbit/S

I only pay for 150Mbit/s, and bench ~155Mbit/s on speedtest.net

Zarathustra[H];1041762409 said:
I was expecting a long slow download.

Instead it downloaded at 160Mbit/S

I only pay for 150Mbit/s, and bench ~155Mbit/s on speedtest.net

that's the power of windows 10!

Loaded up and working fine, however some of my apps have fuzzy text. Anyone else have this?

Loaded up and working fine, however some of my apps have fuzzy text. Anyone else have this?

Hmm, not that I've noticed. The little icons in the taskbar are kind of fuzzy though, especially RealTemp, it looks terrible. Maybe check your DPI settings or resolution/refresh rate?

I just want to be able to uninstall all the preinstalled apps, disable the apps platform all together in favor of traditional desktop programs only, and get rid of all cloud/network integration and the store.

These need to be gone for me to be happy:
  • Alarms & Clock
  • Calendar
  • Camera
  • Cortana
  • Groove Music
  • Mail
  • Maps
  • Microsoft Edge
  • Movies & TV
  • One Drive
  • One Note
  • People
  • Photos
  • Store
  • Voice Recorder
  • Weather
  • Xbox

This isn't a god damned tablet. It's a high end work station, with the Pro version even. Pro used to mean you had more flexibility... I am very disappointed.

Zarathustra[H];1041762716 said:
I just want to be able to uninstall all the preinstalled apps, disable the apps platform all together in favor of traditional desktop programs only, and get rid of all cloud/network integration and the store.

• Alarms & Clock
  • Calendar
  • Camera
  • Cortana
  • Groove Music
  • Mail
  • Maps
  • Microsoft Edge
  • Movies & TV
  • One Drive
  • One Note
  • People
  • Photos
  • Store
  • Voice Recorder
  • Weather
  • Xbox

This isn't a god damned tablet. It's a high end work station, with the Pro version even. Pro used to mean you had more flexibility... I am very disappointed.

You can always stay with Windows 7.

Well I can't even download the damn thing, guess I'm not one of the chosen ones. Must be how they kept from "breaking the internet".

Well I can't even download the damn thing, guess I'm not one of the chosen ones. Must be how they kept from "breaking the internet".

Have you tried:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Trying to use Windows Update at this point is why most people aren't getting it: that part is saturated to a high degree with people attempting to get WIndows 10 installed. That link I just provided is an entirely different method but works pretty much exactly the same in the long run, it just downloads files (encrypted containers), decrypts them to make the ISO(s), and you can do the upgrade from there.

• Alarms & Clock
  • Calendar
  • Camera
  • Cortana
  • Groove Music
  • Mail
  • Maps
  • Microsoft Edge
  • Movies & TV
  • One Drive
  • One Note
  • People
  • Photos
  • Store
  • Voice Recorder
  • Weather
  • Xbox

Can try using Windows Powershell as described here in the Insider's Forum---this was for a previous build but am told it still works.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...ble-apps/4b896e54-9bdd-43a2-87b3-6d3bdcb17949

Use with caution or do a backup before attempting just in case.

All updates installed for the last few months and curent. Even tried the notepad method today and that didn't work. Legit Win 7 Ultimate from Newegg. Same issue on my desktop and wifes's laptop.

Win%2010_zpsopg4z8ka.jpg

Can try using Windows Powershell as described here in the Insider's Forum---this was for a previous build but am told it still works.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...ble-apps/4b896e54-9bdd-43a2-87b3-6d3bdcb17949

Use with caution or do a backup before attempting just in case.

I tried that.apparently the blocked it in the RTM build. Now you just get a red error message.

If succeeded in hiding most of the obnoxious stuff now. One drive still keeps popping up and "reminding" me to enable backups, and even after being disabled cortana still occasionally tries to po up and remind me to enable cortana web features. Every time I see some of the included apps that I can't remove, like camera and groove music, I get annoyed, but now that I've figured more of it out, it is less obnoxious.

I just hate when some app (like Bing weather) runs in the background fetching weather data and integrating it into the UI, or when the search box has downloaded a bunch o previews of "popular" links. I know I have a powerful system and all, but I want 100% of it focused on my foreground program, not a single CPU cycle or bit of ram or storage space wasted on something I don't want, don't need or didn't tell it to do.

You can always stay with Windows 7.

True, but then I don't get the latest api's and other useful features.

It just seems like they are - more than usual - trying to shine an entire ecosystem down our throats, when what I really want is just a standalone, local operating system, with no cloud or any other services, that I can build my own system on top of, program by program.

I want Spotify, Google Chrome, Crasplan and Steam, not Groove Music, Edge, One Drive and Xbox for Windows/Microsoft store.

I miss the old days when an OS was just an OS, not an entire ecosystem.

At the very least let us uninstall what we don't want.

Didn't they learn anything from the EU browser lawsuit?

So I signed into my xbox live account to try and do some xbox one streaming (just screwing around)

the OS decided to automatically take over the login and make my "hotmail" login to windows/onedrive/etc the system password... luckily i JUST checked it earlier (because i *NEVER* use it) if I hadn't randomly verified the password, I'd have been sitting with a paperweight desktop due to not knowing the password, I had to manually disable the Windows sign on and just use a local account.

On top of that the DPI issues suck with fuzzy text in some programs, had to update the video drivers manually from AMD as Battlefield 4 was crashing and not working at all after the upgrade.

overall it seems okay - there's nothing it seems to do better that I can see, I made a full system image in Acronis before I upgraded -- I'm half tempted to go back.

I had a "favorites" folder in my previous powershell start menu in Win8.1 -- the fact I seemingly can't crate an expandable folder/link in the start menu to my internet favorites that's perfectly organized... seems fucking stupid.

I had mixed results with the upgrade process.

On my low-end Core i3 Lenovo G50 laptop that came with Windows 8.1 (and has virtually no apps installed), the upgrade went through without a single problem last night through Windows Update.

On my gaming system that has Win 7 Home though... what a bloody nightmare.

Long story short: The windows update method wouldn't work even though not even 12 hours earlier the icon was in my systray. Tried all the tricks to get it to kick off but ended up just doing the update through the ISO media creation tool. Twice it bombed out while trying to migrate my apps. One time after it rolled back the changes to Win 7, Win 7 became deactivated so I had to go through the whole process of reactivating it before I could try the Win 10 upgrade again. In the end I needed to modify the install so it saved my documents but not my apps. Not a huge deal since this system is mainly my gaming rig only, but still annoying. Re-installing Steam was a breeze though. Since I keep that on another drive, when I reinstalled it I just pointed it back to the drive that already had the previous install. When I logged back in everything was still there and nothing had to be re-downloaded (thankfully).

Once I got it installed my NIC wasn't working (!!?!). Remove then redetect; now it works. Try to install video drivers for my GTX970 and they refuse to install. After removing the detected video device the drivers would then install peacefully.

Overall I'm liking Windows 10. What I'm not liking is that the upgrade doesn't seem to work 100% unless you don't reinstall your apps. I'm sure there's some that won't have that issue, but I'm still in the dark why it wouldn't work.

I'll put it this way: when trying to make a bootable USB stick with the media creation tool, it'd bomb out on the second phase with a very vague "Something Went Wrong" error. I still have no idea what went wrong mind you, but at least I got this system upgraded in the end. :/

Everyone that expected Windows 10 to break the internet today can calm down, everything is going just fine. ;)

Some people feared that Windows 10 download traffic could break the Internet with traffic peaks of up to 40 Terabits per second (TBps). That doesn't seem to be happening. While Microsoft declined to say exactly how they're handling the demand, we do know some things about how Microsoft is delivering Windows 10's bits to your computer.

Three times tonight alone, King MS tried to install Windows 10 Pro on my Computer, even though Windows Update said I was up to date, and there were no up-dates for my computer!

The last thing King MS had installed on my system was (KB3079904), on 07/20/2015, so I Uninstalled it. Guess what, when I shut down again, it did not try to install Windows 10 Pro on my computer this time!

To all those who said that could never happen, you were either lying out right, Mis-Informed, or your crystal Ball is cracked!

OR, just maybe King MS has Lied to you too!

more retardedness from Win10 -- i have a dedicated folder on DropBox where I keep my 2560X1440 res wallpapers, Win8 was able to see this folder and slideshow play all the pics in it on the lock screen.

Windows 10 gives me a bullshit message saying "sorry, we can't slideshow play the images in this folder due to the folders location" - wtf? it's on the fucking C:/

• Alarms & Clock
  • Calendar
  • Camera
  • Cortana
  • Groove Music
  • Mail
  • Maps
  • Microsoft Edge
  • Movies & TV
  • One Drive
  • One Note
  • People
  • Photos
  • Store
  • Voice Recorder
  • Weather
  • Xbox

And fortunately these aren't tablet centric applications and everyone uses one or more of these types of applications everyday on a desktop. They're basically cloud connected versions of desktop apps that people have used forever on desktops. They also work well on tablets.

I can understand wanting the option to remove them but all of them together except Edge weigh in at about 500 MB, not exactly eating up disk space especially on larger and more powerful machines.

Overall they are decent set of included apps that most desktop users will probably find several useful. A timer/stopwatch/alarm app for instance. I've lost cost how many times a desktop user has wanted something like that. The worst case is that the eat up a little disk space and remain unused.

Three times tonight alone, King MS tried to install Windows 10 Pro on my Computer, even though Windows Update said I was up to date, and there were no up-dates for my computer!

The last thing King MS had installed on my system was (KB3079904), on 07/20/2015, so I Uninstalled it. Guess what, when I shut down again, it did not try to install Windows 10 Pro on my computer this time!

To all those who said that could never happen, you were either lying out right, Mis-Informed, or your crystal Ball is cracked!

OR, just maybe King MS has Lied to you too!

KB3079904 has nothing whatsoever to do with Windows 10.

I had mixed results with the upgrade process.

On my gaming system that has Win 7 Home though... what a bloody nightmare.

Long story short: The windows update method wouldn't work even though not even 12 hours earlier the icon was in my systray.

Once I got it installed my NIC wasn't working (!!?!). Remove then redetect; now it works. Try to install video drivers for my GTX970 and they refuse to install. After removing the detected video device the drivers would then install peacefully.

Overall I'm liking Windows 10. What I'm not liking is that the upgrade doesn't seem to work 100% unless you don't reinstall your apps. I'm sure there's some that won't have that issue, but I'm still in the dark why it wouldn't work.

I'll put it this way: when trying to make a bootable USB stick with the media creation tool, it'd bomb out on the second phase with a very vague "Something Went Wrong" error. I still have no idea what went wrong mind you, but at least I got this system upgraded in the end. :/

Lost NIC, Xonar card and my Razor mouse double left click’s. Had to run threw some settings and re-boot, all this after the updates to begin the upgrade; am still in the download phase watching bubbles go round :/
Mouse is still double clicking but am hoping for the best once 10 does it’s thing, not to happy atm

Disabled Kaspersky and the mouse works fine now, but seem to lost Catalyst Control Center :confused:

Another reason the internet likely didn't break was that link directly to the install media creator posted above and the fact that it will generate your upgrade key during the install so no need to log into anything to get one. It just does it during the install.

So I made a USB install stick this morning and started upgrading systems. Several Win 8.1 to Win 10 Pro upgrades later, no issues.

My work/file server upgraded super easy. I just had to reset the permissions on the share folders.

My home game rig was almost as easy. I chose to try the upgrade on it as well. The only snafu was with the video drivers and the solution was just to completely remove the drivers and force a redetect of the cards from scratch. My bad for not uninstalling the Nvidia drivers first, and for not removing my secondary 730 card. I kind of doubt Nvidia or MS tested for a system with a 970 card and a 1x 730 card together.

But it's all great now.

File Sharing works.
Teamviewer works.
Openoffice works.
Firefox works.
Steam works.
Nvidia drivers work.
Realtek audio drivers work.
Games: CS:GO, DayZ, MWO all work.
Mumble works.
Media Player Classic and the K-Lite pack work.

Not bad for day one.

Oh, even Star Citizen still works (which was surprising as I doubt they tested it at all yet), as does my Thrustmaster joystick.

And fortunately these aren't tablet centric applications and everyone uses one or more of these types of applications everyday on a desktop. They're basically cloud connected versions of desktop apps that people have used forever on desktops. They also work well on tablets.

I can understand wanting the option to remove them but all of them together except Edge weigh in at about 500 MB, not exactly eating up disk space especially on larger and more powerful machines.

Overall they are decent set of included apps that most desktop users will probably find several useful. A timer/stopwatch/alarm app for instance. I've lost cost how many times a desktop user has wanted something like that. The worst case is that the eat up a little disk space and remain unused.

You missed his point completely... he wasnt worried about megabytes, he was worried about megahertz.

And i echo his sentiment. People talk about bloatware... but what they don't talk about is bloat-CPU-cycles. There are that many services/apps running on Windows now it just is ridiculous! Hell, in all their wisdom they even took out the process count number from TaskMan so you can't even see how many are running! Fusking MS.

PS. This is also a continuous frustration for me with my Surface Pro 3. It very often goes into some bullshyte mode once idle where it uses 35-75 and sometimes 100% CPU load with its damn stupid TiWorker.exe (and some others). STOP FUCKING DOING SHIT I DONT WANT YOU TO. FFS.

I'm going the clean install of 7 and then upgrading over the top then clean install of 10.

Yes. On a high resolution monitor not all apps and windows were updated to include Windows 10's push for high pixel/clarity windows.

I've seen several apps that look god awful when running and other look gorgeous. Time to yell at developers to fine tune their shit.

I'm pretty sure that pron and youtube streams eat more bandwidth every day than their puny windows.

I was expecting a ton of stuff to break when I upgraded. Oddly enough, it was smooth. The only other thing I upgraded after it was installed was the new Catalyst drivers.

I can't get my USB 3.0 ports to work on my ASUS Gryphon Z87 board. Worked fine in 8.1.

Updated the one rig I sacrificed to run win 8.1 on and it went smoothly. Everything still seems to work on it.

Back