Windows 10 downloading upgrade

ptr1959w

Weaksauce
Hi there,

I was wondering how would I download windows 10? download via update or regular download? Any help is greatly appreciated..:) Thanks in Advance..:)

Just remember that you need to have already reserved your copy of Windows 10 before doing the upgrade manually via the media creation tool. I wouldn't wait for it, but if windows update has already downloaded the upgrade and is ready to install, I would just go that route. Doing the upgrade via the media creation tool will erase any part of Windows 10 that windows update has already downloaded and download it all from scratch.

I would also recommend downloading all available windows updates before performing the upgrade, even if using the media creation tool.

Just remember that you need to have already reserved your copy of Windows 10 before doing the upgrade manually via the media creation tool.

Absolutely NOT correct. I reserved absolutely ZERO copies when I upgrade 30+ machines. All of them worked just fine using the upgrade tool.

Downloaded the ISO, installed off that. No issues at all.:rolleyes:

Absolutely NOT correct. I reserved absolutely ZERO copies when I upgrade 30+ machines. All of them worked just fine using the upgrade tool.

Downloaded the ISO, installed off that. No issues at all.:rolleyes:

I concur. I've upgraded a number of machines using a USB drive doing a clean install without reserving on any of those machines and they all worked fine. It's really a great upgrade process overall with the exception of activation which unfortunately seems to problematic for some.

I've upgraded a number of machines using a USB drive doing a clean install

You can't "upgrade" a machine by doing a clean install, you first have to do a traditional upgrade from an eligible OS first, and activate, before performing a clean install on that same hardware. So, perhaps you could clarify what you intended to say...

Last edited:
ZERO need to have to wait for the reservation crap. I have upgraded two dozen+ systems so far, some from scratch Win 7/8.1 installs, some from fully installed/updated systems. Copied the installer files from my thumbdrive and fired it up. If anyone is having issues then they have something else going on.

You can't "upgrade" a machine by doing a clean install, you first have to do a traditional upgrade from an eligible OS first, and activate, before performing a clean install on that same hardware. So, perhaps you could clarify what you intended to say...

Yes you can. If you install from a recent OEM machine which likely has the key embedded in the bios/efi. And you really don't have to do the install twice on a built PC, just choose upgrade without saving data.

Bear in mind that if you plan on upgrading your PC, do it before you upgrade the OS otherwise you might have to buy Windows 10.
You cannot upgrade your motherboard/cpu and keep the Win 10 upgrade license, it is tied to the hardware at the time of the upgrade.

Back