Windows 10 Creators Update Set to Be Released on April 2017

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
While we still don’t know the exact day the roll-out will begin, Microsoft is currently finalizing their big update for an April release. Those of you who are scared of large-scale changes should probably double check your Windows Update settings and active hours to make sure there are no surprises. I have made a habit of updating my system images before installing any update just for peace of mind.

Microsoft stated that the update will be released in “early 2017” but we didn’t know when exactly the update will arrive. Until now, anyway. Per my sources, Microsoft will be releasing the Windows 10 Creators Update this April. The update will have a version number of 1703. Even though the version number indicates a March 2017 release, we are told the update will be released in April 2017. Like the Windows 10 Anniversary Update, Microsoft will gradually roll out the Creators Update to ensure the best experience for Windows 10 users, but users will be able to manually upgrade to the Creators Update if they want to.

Windows10_PLAEN_640x353.png

Microsoft will gradually roll out the Creators Update to ensure the best experience for Windows 10 users
Microsoft proved they know what experience users want with the release of Windows 8.

Setting the the bar lower with each release, the Microsoft way.

Is it just me or did MS drop the ability to set the size of fonts on the desktop, menus, etc. in the latest builds. It used to be right there on the Display settings menu and there was a Display option on the old Control Panel screen but I don't see this in the last few builds. I can't seem to get any information about this anywhere but maybe I just accidentally turned something off and that's why its not working for me. I have to set my desktop to 150 percent to get decent font sizes. If this feature is gone forever it will be a real bummer.

Im on the fast track preview builds or whatever....with each new update it brings about new changes and new problems.

One nitpick is they've so far taken away the "control panel" option in the context menu when you Right Click on the start menu, they want to keep all the classic windows options like that hidden as much as possible.

The latest update my computer tried to load failed, I come home and my computer was on and frozen with the spinning circle just stuck. Had to power down and reboot, and it attempted to load the update again and froze up. The 3rd time loading the update it got smart and realized it wasn't going to work and finally reverted back to the previous build.

current problem i have with the insider test builds is GPU driver not working after 14986 (VMware driver) just did a clean install on win10 15025 works fine but soon as i install the driver it sets the output to 0x0 (i can RDP into it still but that uses a MS virtual display driver)

the problem is that systems that MS has loaded windows 10 onto that don't have newer video drivers any more are going to be invited with a black screen after the 2017 feature upgrade happens sometime this year

they did something to the GPU layer after 14986 thats breaking old GPU drivers

One nitpick is they've so far taken away the "control panel" option in the context menu when you Right Click on the start menu, they want to keep all the classic windows options like that hidden as much as possible.

That's because they're getting rid of the control panel soon. Microsoft doesn't think you need it anymore.

Same with the other features you're seeing degraded and removed, its obvious that the eventual goal is to kill the traditional desktop and push everyone to Metro 2.0/apps.

That's because they're getting rid of the control panel soon. Microsoft doesn't think you need it anymore.

I will stab someone if that happens. I'm slowly learning the new "Settings" menu out of necessity, but it kind of...really sucks.

It wouldn't be bad if they actually added everything to it already. But they have it missing substantial functionality and scattered between the two.

Im on the fast track preview builds or whatever....with each new update it brings about new changes and new problems.

The latest update my computer tried to load failed, I come home and my computer was on and frozen with the spinning circle just stuck. Had to power down and reboot, and it attempted to load the update again and froze up. The 3rd time loading the update it got smart and realized it wasn't going to work and finally reverted back to the previous build.

I had the same problem and this fixed it: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...-9ede-4495-a155-adf5469b4963?tm=1487959098001

As for the Advanced Display Settings, Microsoft has removed from the UI the ability to control the font sizes of certain Windows elements. As a long time Windows tablet user, I've used these settings to help make Windows 7 more touch friendly and there are a number of programs that don't play well with non-default settings on element sizes. The tradeoff here is that scaling is VASTLY improved and the Creators Update has added the ability to control scaling on a per app basis now.

This is where Windows 10 gets into problems. The way something used to work is often not ideal but then removing that ability is seen by some as a reduction of features. And I get that, but changing these elements sizes worked far from perfectly.

I saw a OneDrive ad in Explorer, once. A few months back in an earlier build. I might have turned them off or something, but I haven't seen one in a while.

I had to change the wallpaper on the Lockscreen from Windows Spotlight so all the images weren't puns advertising Gears of War 4 and Tomb Raider 2 on the lolWindows Store.

Other than that I haven't seen any in a few months.

edit: Tomb Raider, not "Ring Raider" stupid phone auto-correct.

Last edited:
Reactions: erek
like this
Back