Windows 10 Creators Update Now Available for Manual Upgrading

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
If you have absolutely zero patience and want the Windows 10 Creators Update today instead of its official release next Tuesday, you may download the Update Assistant to get the oft-discussed package straight away. Those of you who have updated already and have encountered problems should let me know, so I can laugh at you for not waiting to see if any hidden issues have made it into what should be a bug-free release. I scrolled through the comments and am already seeing complaints about Edge and HDR not working properly on some setups.

The Windows 10 Update Assistant will upgrade any Windows 10 Home or Pro system to the Creators Update; you'll need to grab the latest version of the Assistant and then run it, but it should be straightforward enough. If you're upgrading more than one machine or want to perform a clean install, the Media Creation Tool, available from the same link, is the better bet; the Media Creation Tool can fetch an ISO to burn a DVD or create a bootable USB drive, and that can be used for bare metal installs. The Creators Update itself is build 15063.0, but there will be a small Cumulative Update delivered on April 11.

A gift from the Redmond Gods!!!!!

Of course, it will be in the form of extra telemetry and keyloging, but think on the developers and the info they will get!!!

Two fresh format/reinstalls on two machines infected with the same um, infection. One was a Q9300'ish system, other a FX-8xxx system. Both installed the CU just fine, no issues. The initial setup screens have changed a bit, do like the privacy screen where I can turn them all off, even if they aren't truly turned all the way off.

I realized this had been released early last night - I got a new used laptop and needed to reload Windows so I downloaded the media creator from Microsoft. As soon as the install completed and I opened the Start menu's alternate menu (the right-click option) and I saw the changes there I knew something was amiss.
Programs and Features is missing from the top of the list - replaced by Apps. Which is pretty useless b/c I don't care about the Store apps, but I do want to open Programs and Features to do things like enable IIS, Hyper-V, .Net Framework. Now I have to go into Control Panel, and wade through that, super inconvenient. You (I) don't realize how much you use these shortcuts until they're taken away.

I realized this had been released early last night - I got a new used laptop and needed to reload Windows so I downloaded the media creator from Microsoft. As soon as the install completed and I opened the Start menu's alternate menu (the right-click option) and I saw the changes there I knew something was amiss.
Programs and Features is missing from the top of the list - replaced by Apps. Which is pretty useless b/c I don't care about the Store apps, but I do want to open Programs and Features to do things like enable IIS, Hyper-V, .Net Framework. Now I have to go into Control Panel, and wade through that, super inconvenient. You (I) don't realize how much you use these shortcuts until they're taken away.
That sucks, but not surprising, they want that damn store to succeed, no matter the price.

The virtues of living in a monopoly.

They removed control panel out of the Quick Link menu. And added mobility center. Great. While I realize they want to get away from the control panel. It is still the only place you can get certain things done. Mobility center does me alot of good on a desktop. Any way to edit the quick link menu?

WIN+R > appwiz.cpl

ya... hdr is a no go for me. im not sure if theres an option to enable it, or a way to confirm its enabled and working. but i just know hdr videos are not enabling hdr on my monitor, full screen or not.

though i also see some confusion as to if the 980s actually fully support hdcp 2.2 or not too, so that might be an issue there.

They removed control panel out of the Quick Link menu. And added mobility center. Great. While I realize they want to get away from the control panel. It is still the only place you can get certain things done. Mobility center does me alot of good on a desktop. Any way to edit the quick link menu?

If you go into C:\users\default\appdata\local\microsoft\windows\WinX\ there are some folders listed there with the shortcuts for the Win+X menu, in Group2 is where Control Panel was, and Group3 is where Programs and Features was. Open properties on the shortcuts you want to change back and change their paths to this:

Control Panel - %windir%\system32\control.exe
Programs and Features - %windir%\system32\control.exe /name Microsoft.ProgramsAndFeatures

Restart explorer and they should be back to the functionality you'd expect.

A gift from the Redmond Gods!!!!!

Of course, it will be in the form of extra telemetry and keyloging, but think on the developers and the info they will get!!!

And you accuse me of shilling? Holy cow, you just never stop, LOL! :D

If you go into C:\users\default\appdata\local\microsoft\windows\WinX\ there are some folders listed there with the shortcuts for the Win+X menu, in Group2 is where Control Panel was, and Group3 is where Programs and Features was. Open properties on the shortcuts you want to change back and change their paths to this:

Programs and Features - %windir%\system32\control.exe /name Microsoft.ProgramsAndFeatures

Can you add whatever you want too there?

I have been using the Creators update since mid last week and so far, so good. They finally put the settings in the right click menu which is where I almost always go and look for it.

ya... hdr is a no go for me. im not sure if theres an option to enable it, or a way to confirm its enabled and working. but i just know hdr videos are not enabling hdr on my monitor, full screen or not.

though i also see some confusion as to if the 980s actually fully support hdcp 2.2 or not too, so that might be an issue there.

I'm pretty sure it also requires a support from the media player so thats why they do not work yet. MadVR supports simulated HDR but not the real thing because there has been no OS support, until now.

Was HDR working prior to this update?

Got HDR working fine on 8.1 w/ ClassicShell, fwiw

Its cool that a workaround like this works, but, it sucks that they decided to remove something that is still very useful without an easier way to add it back.

Now, time to rant, when something like this is suggested for a linux install, the microsoft lovers will come out and claim thats why linux sucks, but when is suggested for windows, then is nice that we have this much control on our device.

Just upgraded the gaming pc and found out that some brainiac at microcrap decided that we the plebs should not be allowed to change the font size of the icons.

Now you need to modify the registry to change it....

jeez.....

Here is a link for this "workaround"

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials...-10-a.html?s=3c123976aa0d2606776b462c7d197f1a

There's a lot of method to the madness on this one:

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/creators-update-high-dpi-scaling,34084.html
https://blogs.windows.com/buildinga...ndows-10-creators-update/#Tw9POqq7XxdBLKTR.97.

I guarantee I've adjusted this these settings more than just about anyone in even this forum because of my long time usage of Windows on tablets where this process was a way deal with high DPI issues and touch usability on pre-Windows 8 era tablets. And it tended to cause as many problems as it fixed.

So any crashing/major problems? This has the GAME MODE option right?

Only two major issues I've had on my sig rig since installing this last Thursday:

I use Citrix receiver to remote into my work laptop when working from home. I get a BSOD using it when I disable SLI and then use the Citrix receiver. Tried it about two dozen times. Never BSODs while in SLI or after a reboot after disabling SLI but always BSODs when using the Citrix receiver without a reboot after disabling SLI. Secondly, the Start Menu will misalign tiles when switching between monitor setups. I'll work on my three monitor setup, disable them and then move over to the single 4k to game then switch back to the three monitors and the tile arrangement will get messed up. Nothing lost of missing but out of alignment.

from my testing going to see lots of issues with people who was forced upgraded windows 10 on systems with old video cards that don't have updates any more

15063 installing now and i am expecting it to fail with 0x0 resolution bug that MS has introduced

I don't like that they are messing with the control panel, does God Mode still work? Might just start using that.

nope its still broke the release version 15063 and it still black screens (windows 10 itself is still working just its set the screen res to 0x0 even on clean install soon as the driver installs) MS introduced a video bug after 1499x version so if you using a old video driver that works perfectly fine before it may no longer work and this is going to be a big mess on systems with onboard video cards that are old (you can revert back to last version but windows will just install the feature upgrade again)

they seem to be ignoring this bug as MS has made this bug happen but MS seems to push this aside and blame the driver makes for not updating the driver (even though this is a windows 10 issue that they have created)

https://blogs.windows.com/buildinga...ndows-10-creators-update/#Tw9POqq7XxdBLKTR.97.

I guarantee I've adjusted this these settings more than just about anyone in even this forum because of my long time usage of Windows on tablets where this process was a way deal with high DPI issues and touch usability on pre-Windows 8 era tablets. And it tended to cause as many problems as it fixed.

In before he accuses you of justifying and being a shill. I realize you are simply pointing out why it was done, you are just the messenger. However, many will appreciate your post, not sure about the one who you quoted, thanks though.

Who on earth are these people actually using Edge? And enough to notice it not working properly?....
Edge still displays text the best. It also renders pages quicker and smoother. That being said it's plug-in support is next to non existent just a handful of them and the layout is far from optimal for most people. It also has the best touch compatibility. Most people wont use it just because it's different and doesn't have their plug-ins. There are good reasons to use it though.

Oh Microsoft... 2017 and you still can't get screen scaling totally right.

Indeed. It's 2017 and a lot of Windows UI code is from 1997 which is most of the problem. Take the Steam client for example. Valve is supposed to be updating it I hope.

from my testing going to see lots of issues with people who was forced upgraded windows 10 on systems with old video cards that don't have updates any more

15063 installing now and i am expecting it to fail with 0x0 resolution bug that MS has introduced

So what hardware are you using?

This is a pain either way, because just changing the DPI also creates a problem, like text bigger than the box they are supposed to be, etc.

But, I am not too crazy about taking options away from the user, like they did in W8, they removed the control to make windows borders thinner. Only way to adjust it was via the registry.

Not a valid excuse any more.

It's not an excuse but a technical reality. Apps there are not DPI aware simply tend not to scale well like the Steam client. Ones that are like Office, do scale well. Some of the new option will fix older non-DPI aware apps but they aren't perfect and in testing Steam these new options don't really fix Steam.

Blaming developers is also not a valid excuse any more.

There is no blaming at all there nor is there an excuse. But hey, it must be a MS problem, not like that old app just does not support it. :rolleyes: Oh, and before you go on about Apple and Linux doing it right, perhaps you should take into consideration that the programs there work because the new versions were fixed to work correctly.

Old stuff basically does not do it right, no matter the OS.

Blaming developers is also not a valid excuse any more.

If a developer hasn't bothered to update decade old non-DPI aware UI code then it's perfectly reasonable to hold the developer accountable. There's no reason the Steam client shouldn't scale properly other than Valve simply hasn't bothered to update is crusty UI which I think they are trying to do now.

Upgraded three of four computers. Upgrade was seamless and no issues, so far. My only advice it to go in and confirm your privacy settings after the install is finished. MS has an annoying habit of playing with them (but not this time).

Will this work on unactivated systems?
I would imagine so. I installed it in a VM from the ISO, and chose no Key (Or whatever that option is, I don't have a key?) during setup.
It installed fine, so I installed it on my box.

Atmos support is in and I love it!
The default windows player supports Atmos. I tested a movie on it.
If you want to geekout on the atmos setup screens, I put some here: https://hardforum.com/threads/atmos-in-the-windows-store-3-31.1928894/

wCTUykv.jpg

Last edited:
Edge still displays text the best. It also renders pages quicker and smoother. That being said it's plug-in support is next to non existent just a handful of them and the layout is far from optimal for most people. It also has the best touch compatibility. Most people wont use it just because it's different and doesn't have their plug-ins. There are good reasons to use it though.

Yeah I just started using it again enabled Clear Type my eyes don't feel as strained as with other browsers. I just updated my Graphics card to a 1080ti and noticed firefox was giving me some problems. I was using Firefox for the past few years since Edge was pretty bleak on release. I wish it came with more theme options...

You need this update alone for the Blue light Reduction feature in the creator's update it's dumbed down and Redmond calls it Night Light. The Darker you have the Night Light the harder it is to read text so I have it like slid over like 1/8 of the way only just to mute the whites a bit.

Reactions: DKS
like this
Just updated my main rig...so far so good.

EDIT: Removing the Control Panel from right-click on Start is kind of shitty.

Back