Windows 10 clean install - "Reboot and Select Proper Boot device" Error

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by david_, Aug 4, 2015.

1. david_

david_ 2[H]4U

1. Updated from 7 to 10, then wanted to do a clean install
    2. Downloaded ISO from windows utility (wouldn't recognize my Sandisk Cruzer flash drive)
    3. Used Rufus to apply ISO to flash drive
    4. Installed Windows 10 like I would any other OS (delete all partitions on C, let it do it's thing, automatic restart, remove USB, but no boot)

BIOS sees my SSD. Boot order is correct. Startup repair didn't help. "Resetting this PC" repair option didn't help. Tried it 5x times and always get "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key".

Any ideas?

2. Rav3n

Rav3n Gawd

You can try booting off the USB and repairing the install...

Also, do you have AHCI enabled?

3. Domingo

Domingo Skip My Posts

I had that issue with one of the Insider previews. In my case it was a drive that no longer had the system reserved partitions. Windows did NOT like that at all.
    I ended up having to go back to a previous image.

4. Jaymzkerten

Jaymzkerten Limp Gawd

I would check this, usually this is due to the BIOS being set to AHCI vice IDE.

5. david_

david_ 2[H]4U

I've tried Startup Repair and it says it can't repair my PC and kicks me back to the advanced options screen. AHCI is enabled.

When I select the unallocated space after deleting all partitions, it creates 4 partitions (System, Recovery, Primary, and MSR) so I don't think that's it.

I'll try my second SSD, even though it's slower.

Edit.. tried with second SSD. Same issue. I guess CMOS flash is next :(

Last edited: Aug 4, 2015
  6. david_

david_ 2[H]4U

Flashed CMOS and it tried to boot!

But because the installation was interrupted (by me), I had to kick it off again.

So I'm reinstalling on my faster SSD and now there's only two partitions (which I think is normal): primary and system reserved. Dunno what I had done in BIOS, but fingers crossed she boots up this time.