Windows 10 Child Spying Feature Is Upsetting People

Microsoft is kind of in a no win situation ... they are in a competitive market where they must add new features to stay competitive and up to date ...

This makes no sense. They have a monopoly on the desktop to an absurd extent. How is adding shitloads of spying - which cannot be completely disabled - required for them to "stay competitive"?

In the post Windows 7 era they really seem to have a knack for creating worthless features that only create negative perception, backlash and generally piss customers off.

This makes no sense. They have a monopoly on the desktop to an absurd extent. How is adding shitloads of spying - which cannot be completely disabled - required for them to "stay competitive"?

In the post Windows 7 era they really seem to have a knack for creating worthless features that only create negative perception, backlash and generally piss customers off.

Apparently that is a good thing. Because smart phones and, uh, stuff. Win 10 certainly wasn't the slam dunk they needed like 7 was. Better than 8 overall, but being slightly less poor isn't a good way to stay relevant.

I am not going to defend all of the spying that Microsoft does but there is clearly a market for child controls on the PC ... one of the complaints leveled by users in the past was that Microsoft didn't do enough in this area ... so they added more features (and now there are complaints that they did what a large segment of the market wanted them to do)

Personally, I think they should not have abandoned the Ultimate version of Windows ... they could have made this the version that was more Enterprise like in nature (without some of the consumer features that the high end users are complaining about ... child monitoring, app store, etc) ... they could have offered this version for a slight fee to prevent regular consumers from getting it by accident ($30 or so) ... that might be a more elegant solution

This really kind of shows how good Windows 10 is, if this is all people really have to complain about.

Talk about your non-issue....

So press a button and then no one is ever supposed to look anything ever again? Nonsense. This whole issue is bullshit. "I don't want to spy on my kids, that's why I setup a child account!" "I set up a child account, why didn't the computer tell me my child was on that site?!"

I mean this in the nicest possible way so don't get upset ---

Oh for f*ck's sake heatlesssun! For owning ten computers (all on the same OS doing the exact same chore) you can certainly pretend to be as daft as a brick when it benefits your argument. Did you not even read the other possible uses of a child account besides spying such as limiting the child's ability to install stupid-ware on the computer or are you just putting on the horse blinders because it's kinky and fun? In fact, you should Youtube the blinders...do you still even do that whole trying to be a video reviewer thing anymore, btw?

This really kind of shows how good Windows 10 is, if this is all people really have to complain about.

Talk about your non-issue....

It took Microsoft six months to sell 100 million Windows 7 licenses. Windows 10 will probably be installed and running on about 100 million machines in six weeks. Yes 7 had an upfront cost and yes there's "spyware, nagware and preying on the weak" but those kind of numbers that quickly don't happen with something that's not at least generally pretty popular.

And if they didn't have this feature the lot of you would be complaining about why Windows 10 doesn't have every feature on the planet and how parents are being ignored. Just flip the goddamn switch to 'Of'f and STFU :mad:

QQ all fucking day around here - it's nonsense

It tells you plain as day when you are creating the account "Family Safety monitoring has been turned on for this account. You can always change what your child sees in the Windows Store and manage other settings on the Family Safety website."

And it's been there since Windows 8.

People are just looking for something to complain about with 10.

This, Nuff said.

Well some parents are bigots and abusive jerkfaces to their children over their sexual preferences because they don't meet parental expectations. It acutally might turn into a problem where Windows 10 enables child abuse. Most people are idiots even as adults and I wouldn't put it past them for the average stupid parent to physically or emotionally abuse their own child over stuff like that. Men especially would be likely to resort to using that as an excuse to justify domestic violence against their offspring.

And some kids talk to "Mr. Friendly" and then go to meet him in the park, never to be seen again. If Bubba is going to beat little Billy for being a sissy, then Windows 10 sure as hell won't change anything one way or another.

I honestly don't understand the problem here. Microsoft has provided a tool to help keep kids safe on the internet. letting children loose on the internet without supervision, as I have seen some parents do, is akin to dropping your kids off for the day at the corner where the Hookers and pimps hang out and telling them to be careful crossing the street...

Again, it doesn't really matter. the parents that are shocked and outraged at this, are the same ones that don't give a shit that the precious little darlings are being exposed to things they themselves don't have a clue about.

1)Parent reads the Windows 10 Weekly “activity update” Report

2)Windows 10 Weekly Reports Your Child Has Performed the following searches:

3)How to disable the Windows 10 Weekly “activity update” Report

Anyone who argues otherwise hasn't ever found their 15 year old trading provocative images of themselves with their significant other online and hiding it because they knows its wrong. No different than what kids did with instant develop pictures back in the day, just much more damaging and perminant than the kids realize.

Maybe better parenting is in order.

Attitudes like this is why more kids are coddled pansies today.

Windows 10 doesn't enable child abuse, parents abusing their child enables child abuse. I suppose guns kill people and the person behind the trigger has nothing to do with it too? Sue my car because it hit your car, not me!

If you are a gay kid and you don't want your parents to find out, do exactly what every kid in the past has done. Don't tell anyone about it. If you blab all over the internet about yourself being homosexual, count on your parents (and everyone else) finding out about it. Nothing new. Everything you put online can and will be recorded forever and can't be deleted.

As far as men abusing anyone, kids, spouse or anyone, they don't need any more excuses. If a spouse (male or female, it happens both ways) is abusive, they will be no matter what. Windows 10 won't be their trigger.

BTW this "feature" has been something going on since windows visa if you installed parental controls. It's not new.

Give this dude a medal! :eek:

As a parent it is your job to know what your kid is doing. Anyone who thinks otherwise is either not a parent or is a poor excuse for one.

There is a huge difference between knowing what they are doing and spying on them.

The good ole "I can't seem to figure out how to be a good parent and raise my child in a way that allows him/her to learn how to make good decisions, so I will just monitor and control every aspect of them 24/7" argument...which always leads to the inevitable event later in time..."I don't understand how X happened...why would he/she even make that kind of decision when it's so THAT bad and out-of-character?" or the "He/she never acted that way before moving out! My child's life is ruined now! How could this happen?"

Meanwhile, responsible and proactive parents start teaching their children from birth to think about choices and consequences before acting, while also routinely talking to them openly and honestly about all the harsh realities of life, including the most dangerous and negative ones.

But that's a lot harder, and requires more caring, than just saying "because I say so" and desperately attempting to micromanage them...at least until the point it begins failing or it is no longer legal by age...then it's all the fault of someone else of course..."I raised him as best I could, it must have been negative outside influence."

QFT

This thread is a prime example of today's bad parenting and shitty kids that are more prevalent than ever. Helicopter parenting and no amount of effort to actually raise and teach the kids something.

It took Microsoft six months to sell 100 million Windows 7 licenses. Windows 10 will probably be installed and running on about 100 million machines in six weeks. Yes 7 had an upfront cost and yes there's "spyware, nagware and preying on the weak" but those kind of numbers that quickly don't happen with something that's not at least generally pretty popular.

Oh, please. The only reason it is getting such numbers is because it is free and sometimes almost forced on people. It's a turd of the 8 packaged in a more shiny wrapping and marketed as a vast improvement. If it wasn't free, most wouldn't bother. And privacy breaking features have been there for a long time, but never to the extent of Win 10.

When it comes to an operating system, that’s all I want is an operating system and nothing more. How I choose to raze my children is not their responsibility or concern, its mine and mine alone. My greatest concern with something like this is the collected data, unexpected consequences of said data and if/when people use this function out and away from its intended purpose. To dangerous of an app in my mind and will only cause problems/resentment in time!

Oh, please. The only reason it is getting such numbers is because it is free and sometimes almost forced on people. It's a turd of the 8 packaged in a more shiny wrapping and marketed as a vast improvement. If it wasn't free, most wouldn't bother. And privacy breaking features have been there for a long time, but never to the extent of Win 10.

So then how is the success or failure of Windows 10 to be judged? Anti-Windows 8 folks spent a lot of time pointing to it's adoption numbers and proclaiming it a failure. Of course Windows 10 is a free upgrade and easy to install, if you want to call it forced, so be it. But 100 million devices coming almost all through upgrades in six weeks couldn't be called a failure.

And some kids talk to "Mr. Friendly" and then go to meet him in the park, never to be seen again. If Bubba is going to beat little Billy for being a sissy, then Windows 10 sure as hell won't change anything one way or another.

I honestly don't understand the problem here. Microsoft has provided a tool to help keep kids safe on the internet. letting children loose on the internet without supervision, as I have seen some parents do, is akin to dropping your kids off for the day at the corner where the Hookers and pimps hang out and telling them to be careful crossing the street...

Again, it doesn't really matter. the parents that are shocked and outraged at this, are the same ones that don't give a shit that the precious little darlings are being exposed to things they themselves don't have a clue about.

If the OS has the ability to collect and send that sort of data, what's stopping it from collecting it from any other user and sending someplace? A toggle switch in the OS? Maybe, but I'd rather wait until there's a lot more analysis done on the encrypted packet stream that goes back to the MS mommyship before agreeing that the feature or any other Win10 analytical capability is harmless.

When it comes to an operating system, that’s all I want is an operating system and nothing more. How I choose to raze my children is not their responsibility or concern, its mine and mine alone. My greatest concern with something like this is the collected data, unexpected consequences of said data and if/when people use this function out and away from its intended purpose. To dangerous of an app in my mind and will only cause problems/resentment in time!

So Microsoft should build their OS to suit your needs only and not add features that have been requested by other users :confused: ... it sounds as if this feature is easily disabled for anyone who is paying attention ... and if you aren't paying enough attention to know it is there, perhaps you are a parent for whom this is beneficial ;)

There are plenty of 3rd party software one can obtain, exposing the family unit threw the operating system itself concerns me greatly.

Lets take a features and blow it WAY out of proportion. :p

First off, this feature is only turned on if you create a family (ie child) account. You have always had the option of turning on reporting for those accounts. Maybe not to this degree, but you could report on their actions. Second people are complaining as this is going to allow parents to watch their children and out them as gay before the child tells them, or will allow a parent to see that their child is doing. There has always been software out there for monitoring so this is nothing new overall. Parent's should know what their kids are doing online, that is considered being a responsible parent. Now if a child is beat, thrown out or anything else due to being gay... that is going to happen anyway and this software isn't to blame. The horrible parent is.

I don't see the problem here, the point of a child account is for you to monitor what they are doing and set limits. That is what the software is helping you do. So I don't see why everyone should be butt hurt about this.

So Microsoft should build their OS to suit your needs only and not add features that have been requested by other users :confused: ... it sounds as if this feature is easily disabled for anyone who is paying attention ... and if you aren't paying enough attention to know it is there, perhaps you are a parent for whom this is beneficial ;)

There are plenty of 3rd party software one can obtain, exposing the family unit threw the operating system itself concerns me greatly. We have yet to hear what Microsoft is doing with the data and/or how well is that data protected? If you’re a parent stupid enough to take that chance with your family, “well hell”, it’s your prerogative!

Did you guys also know they build cars that can go twice the legal speed limit? Why do they allow such things!?!?!

Point is, if you do not want to use a feature, do not use the feature. If you do not want a monitored child account, guess what you should do? No, not blame MS for doing what so many asked them to do, you should simply not create a child account.

But hey, easy to understand and simple to do is just too hard for most people. Bitching that the world is not doing exactly what they personally want it to do is far simpler...

There are plenty of 3rd party software one can obtain, exposing the family unit threw the operating system itself concerns me greatly. We have yet to hear what Microsoft is doing with the data and/or how well is that data protected? If you’re a parent stupid enough to take that chance with your family, “well hell”, it’s your prerogative!

And for parents that have concerns with that they can turn it off ... also, why wouldn't the third party also have those questions ... finally, MS shouldn't be forced to send everyone to third party software for features (if you choose to do so, great, but it is nice to have necessary features built in)

Bottom line is that until a child reaches the age of majority or the age of emancipation they are the parent's responsibility ... although you should not need to monitor your child's every move, the internet is a particularly dangerous place for children these days and predators have become more and more sophisticated ... although my children are now grown I would rather ere on the side of caution than to have been forced to deal with the rape or kidnapping or murder of a child ... but other people's mileage may vary

Bottom line is that until a child reaches the age of majority or the age of emancipation they are the parent's responsibility ... although you should not need to monitor your child's every move, the internet is a particularly dangerous place for children these days and predators have become more and more sophisticated ... although my children are now grown I would rather ere on the side of caution than to have been forced to deal with the rape or kidnapping or murder of a child ... but other people's mileage may vary

I guess what I do get is that a parent is going to hand their kid a computing device and then never, ever at least check from time to time what they are doing with it at least when in the beginning? There are all kinds of pitfalls that can happen with a connected device and just assuming that a child is going to make all of the right choices is knuckleheaded.

I don't have kids but I've often thought of how I would deal with kids and the Information Age. It's not a simple task to say the least but just handing kids technology and not having some engagement with how that technology is being used is a best irresponsible. But no one is perfect and no doubt parents can be abusive but if a parent is going to beat their kids over an online report then I'm guessing those children are already in an abusive home and appropriate use parenting tools is the least of the problems.

This feature has been in Windows since 8 but it was selectable at user creation. People complained that it wasn't on by default. Now they're complaining that it's on by default. You can't win Microsoft.

This feature has been in Windows since 8 but it was selectable at user creation. People complained that it wasn't on by default. Now they're complaining that it's on by default. You can't win Microsoft.

B.S.

Citation needed.

The comments about outing lgbt kids made me lmao.

OMG, a family having to communicate and deal with problems! It's the end of the world!

The problem with it is the kids may not be ready to talk about it yet. Everyone comes out and to terms in their own time and it can be more traumatizing to the kid if the parents find out before they are ready to tell them. Hell I know a lot of people that came out and their parents are fucking bigots, and the kid was disowned. So yes that is a legitimate concern.

Coming from someone who is part of the LGBTQ community.

B.S.

Citation needed.

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/6989-family-safety-setup-use-windows-8-a.html

Family Safety is turned off by default. You can access Family Safety by opening Family Safety in Control Panel. Only administrators can turn on Family Safety, and only users without administrative privileges can be monitored or restricted. Children can see their settings but can’t change them. If Family Safety is turned on, the child will receive a notification that Family Safety is monitoring their account each time they sign in to Windows. If you indicate that an account is a child account during account creation, you can choose to enable Family Safety for that account.

And if they didn't have this feature the lot of you would be complaining about why Windows 10 doesn't have every feature on the planet and how parents are being ignored. Just flip the goddamn switch to 'Of'f and STFU :mad:

QQ all fucking day around here - it's nonsense

BEST POST ON INTERNET EVER PERIOD /QUOTE

So then how is the success or failure of Windows 10 to be judged? Anti-Windows 8 folks spent a lot of time pointing to it's adoption numbers and proclaiming it a failure. Of course Windows 10 is a free upgrade and easy to install, if you want to call it forced, so be it. But 100 million devices coming almost all through upgrades in six weeks couldn't be called a failure.

I didn't say it was a failure, just that you can't compare installation numbers and draw conclusions, as it is apples and oranges in this case.

although you should not need to monitor your child's every move, the internet is a particularly dangerous place for children these days and predators have become more and more sophisticated ... although my children are now grown I would rather ere on the side of caution than to have been forced to deal with the rape or kidnapping or murder of a child ... but other people's mileage may vary

Ah, Internet, the modern day bogeyman, where children dwell in constant danger of being raped, kidnapped or, even worse, seeing naked boobs. Won't anyone think of the children?!?! :eek:

That media Kool-Aid must be delicious.

If the OS has the ability to collect and send that sort of data, what's stopping it from collecting it from any other user and sending someplace? A toggle switch in the OS? Maybe, but I'd rather wait until there's a lot more analysis done on the encrypted packet stream that goes back to the MS mommyship before agreeing that the feature or any other Win10 analytical capability is harmless.

Pretty sure Microsoft doesn't care about porn or my little pony games...

I work at a computer shop and it was a fairly common complaint about child accounts by the parents. Sorry it's not in writing :rolleyes:

I don't have kids. But what I find most troubling about this particular issue is that some parents are creating these child accounts and aren't even in the slightest thinking it through. If the idea that a parent had in mind in creating a child account was to protect their child shouldn't it have crossed their minds exactly how their child was to be protected? Press and button and all the bad stuff that I think is bad stuff should be filtered and I don't have to look at it anymore. Because I don't want my kid to think I'm spying on them.

I appreciate the complexities of raising children in the Information Age, it's a difficult job that makes explaining sex look like baking cookies. But that's just it, it's a DIFFICULT job and can't be achieved with in accordance with every parent's wishes by simply clicking buttons without some understanding about what's behind those clicks and taps.

Pretty sure Microsoft doesn't care about porn or my little pony games...

Whatever you wanna believe is up to you. I'm pretty happy to not really have to worry about it much aside from an outside looking in perspective at people who are sticking with Microsoft products.

Back