Windows 10 Build 9926: Where's Windows Update?

If the control panel and Windows update is still stuck in tablet mode 100% of the time in windows 10

m$ can forget about the free upgrade because UI wise its still a bloody downgrade for PC mouse and KB users.

If you haven't used the tech preview then I'll forgive you for this, but WinRT isn't "tablet mode". They're replacing Win32 with WinRT, all of it. In Windows 10 WinRT programs run in Windows just like all the other ones and are totally usable. They've totally revamped the interface for keyboard and mouse. It works pretty well.

I'm just glad they're putting everything into one app, the new version of the "Settings" app in the tech preview is ok, even if I don't like the overall lack of color. If they actually manage to integrate all the features into one settings program I don't care which one that is. It's a heck of a lot better than Windows 8.1 system that shuttles you between two different applications.

Can someone who works at Microsoft please explain how the fuck these decisions are made, and why?

Heatlesssun is posting in this thread, but I don't think an answer is forthcoming since they haven't supplied him with talking points on that topic yet. :p

As was noted WAY EARLIER in this thread, unification of the Control Panel and Settings has long been a top requested item.

The amount of white space in those screenshots is an epic tragedy. The same thing with the MS kb/mouse control panel rolled out to Win7. It takes over my entire 30" 2560x1600 screen with blinding bright white, with like only 3 buttons on the entire screen to choose from. I feel more productive already.

The amount of white space in those screenshots is an epic tragedy. The same thing with the MS kb/mouse control panel rolled out to Win7. It takes over my entire 30" 2560x1600 screen with blinding bright white, with like only 3 buttons on the entire screen to choose from. I feel more productive already.

Yeah, I hate this trend toward more white space for the sake of more white space, with flat-color backgrounds separating nothing clearly. There's a little thing called CONTRAST, learn to use it UI idiots.

I don't mind the other changes to the OS, but last time I checked "tablet-friendly" does not mean you have to make the options separated by an inch, black-on-white/blue-on-white because why not we use it in Word, why the hell not everywhere else?

have you entered feedback about that issue?
The bad driver? Yeah, I doubt it's getting resolved any time soon.

The laptop in question is an HP TouchSmart TM2T 2151-NR. It has switchable graphics (uses Intel Integrated while on battery, or a Mobility Radeon HD 5450 while plugged-in). This requires a special driver from AMD containing both Intel and AMD graphics drivers.

AMD does not directly support mobile solutions, it's up to the OEM that's selling the laptop... and HP never once released an updated driver for this laptop. The special driver package they put together for Windows 7 doesn't install correctly on Windows 8.x or 10.

The driver Windows tries to pull down from Windows Update is a normal AMD graphics driver (since, again, AMD doesn't directly support mobile chips) that doesn't have whatever BS secret sauce is required for switchable graphics to work correctly... and when Windows switches to the newly-downloaded driver, it BSoDs the machine.

The problem effects Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8.x, and Windows 10. You install Windows, and if you don't kill the net connection and disable automatic driver installation, the AMD driver pulled down by Windows Update insta-hoses the machine.

If the control panel and Windows update is still stuck in tablet mode 100% of the time in windows 10

m$ can forget about the free upgrade because UI wise its still a bloody downgrade for PC mouse and KB users.
Nothing in Windows 10 is stuck in "tablet mode". The settings app opens in a resizable window on the desktop.

It's a heck of a lot better than Windows 8.1 system that shuttles you between two different applications.

Yeah, comparing it with the worst microsoft UI in history for mouse and KB is really meaningful...

as if a half rotten apple is better than a WHOLE rotten egg.

UI / usability WISE If its not better than OR the same with WIn7 , its not going to warrant an upgrade for most win7 users.

I dont even have stability issues 99% of the time win7 is up with my machine, must be using it wrong as m$ intends LOL .

OH WINDOWS HAVE TO HANG EVERY 48HRS OF UPTIME!!111

The bad driver? Yeah, I doubt it's getting resolved any time soon.

The laptop in question is an HP TouchSmart TM2T 2151-NR. It has switchable graphics (uses Intel Integrated while on battery, or a Mobility Radeon HD 5450 while plugged-in). This requires a special driver from AMD containing both Intel and AMD graphics drivers.

AMD does not directly support mobile solutions, it's up to the OEM that's selling the laptop... and HP never once released an updated driver for this laptop. The special driver package they put together for Windows 7 doesn't install correctly on Windows 8.x or 10.

The driver Windows tries to pull down from Windows Update is a normal AMD graphics driver (since, again, AMD doesn't directly support mobile chips) that doesn't have whatever BS secret sauce is required for switchable graphics to work correctly... and when Windows switches to the newly-downloaded driver, it BSoDs the machine.

The problem effects Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8.x, and Windows 10. You install Windows, and if you don't kill the net connection and disable automatic driver installation, the AMD driver pulled down by Windows Update insta-hoses the machine.

Nothing in Windows 10 is stuck in "tablet mode". The settings app opens in a resizable window on the desktop.

I meant did you raise a feedback with Microsoft about what you don't like about the new Windows Update. They aren't going to know that people don't like the change if nobody raises a feedback issue. Or maybe there is one already there for you to say "me also" on so that they can see that this is a major issue. They can't fix what people don't tell them is broke.

They can't fix what people don't tell them is broke.

after win 8 i think the trend with m$ is

They can break what people don't tell them isnt broken.

hello win 8/ 8.1 UI ....

go ahead, trust a company with such a culture and habit.

It's obvious some people in here have their own agenda and think it's the new cool to hate on Microsoft. I am not an IT wizard have never worked on computers in a job related fashion. If a hick like myself can figure out the differences between 7 and 8 in a couple of days and I am now spending a few days with the new 10 build and dealing quite well with it someone that is actually paid to work on or with systems should have no problem. Unless of course they just don't want to and will find any excuse not to.

It's obvious some people in here have their own agenda and think it's the new cool to hate on Microsoft. I am not an IT wizard have never worked on computers in a job related fashion. If a hick like myself can figure out the differences between 7 and 8 in a couple of days and I am now spending a few days with the new 10 build and dealing quite well with it someone that is actually paid to work on or with systems should have no problem. Unless of course they just don't want to and will find any excuse not to.

yeah a few days.

do that for a company of 100 , 1000 or 10000 ...

with varying degrees of techiness and IQ.

thats why you are a hick and not someone in charge.

how many manhours of the company have you just wasted.

thank god you are not in charge.

Reading comprehension for the win. Didn't I say I don't have any job related use for a computer. Am not at work have never used a computer for any job except for calling up orders in the past. If I can figure it out any user can. Sentences capital letters and punctuation do they exist in your world?

Wait, they got rid of the old Control Panel entirely?

they are in process of it, they made a new "control panel" called settings, and old control panel is being hidden more and more.

Windows Updates from control panel has been removed, and replaced by very basic metro page in the new settings.

...and think it's the new cool to hate on Microsoft.

102713577.06.01.lg.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microshaft_Winblows_98

No, it's not a new thing. Not at all.

Reading comprehension for the win. Didn't I say I don't have any job related use for a computer. Am not at work have never used a computer for any job except for calling up orders in the past. If I can figure it out any user can. Sentences capital letters and punctuation do they exist in your world?

I did get the message across didnt i ?

The new Settings UI is resizeable and smarter in that regard than the Control Panel. In it's smallest form it looks like this:

Settings1.png

Which is better than the way the Control Panel UI can be resized:

Control%20Panel.png

When it's all fleshed out it should probably be better for most people.

I also should mention since I'm using the test build in a VM at the moment. While marginally better than 8 the UI as a whole just looks like uninspired shit compared to Aero glass. Really tired of this trend of boring as hell UI's. It looked best in Vista, it still looked good in 7 though not quite as refined and then 8 came along and just destroyed all of that. First two MS OS's that ever had a good looking UI and at this rate the only two.

Sigh, guess I'll be back to the XP days of UI replacements before long. So much for progress.

....but but but its flat! And minimalistic! Isn't that what all the kids are yapping about these days?

Hypothesis: "progressives" are in control of most of "tech" (google, apple, MS, etc). Interesting that we've gone absolutely nowhere with these people at the helm. Wow, mobile websites with abysmal information density! Mobile phones and displays with..gasp..more pixels and the same ancient LCD flaws as always. Now coming in a revolutionary, slightly curved form! Three successive operating systems that are objectively inferior to 7 from nearly every practical standpoint imaginable.

I wonder what sort of no-nonsense, thick-skinned, tough, practical bastards we'd need to put a man on Mars. I wonder what the men who got to the moon would have done with this field if they were at the helm. We'd probably be having this conversation in VR right now.

yeah a few days.

do that for a company of 100 , 1000 or 10000 ...

with varying degrees of techiness and IQ.

thats why you are a hick and not someone in charge.

how many manhours of the company have you just wasted.

thank god you are not in charge.

As somebody that works at a place with around 100 employees. I can say that anyone here that acquired it on their own or was given it in office was able to use windows 8 with little to no additional training. You act as if every user needs to know how to be a full sys admin. They need to learn how to launch a program, which they can do so they have little issue then. For anyone in house we have shown them how to do things. Our tech support that supports our ISP customers have been able to learn it very quickly to help customers change IP information or connect to wireless networks on windows 8. So no issues there. Of everyone here that had started off not really liking the change after a week or two there were a few different opinions, I am use to the change and it is fine, I don't really like how they changed things but I can still use it. Nobody has found their computer to be 100% unusable due to windows 8.1 being on there.

So lets look at the IT side of things. It takes no more hours to learn windows 8 to support 1 person than it does 100 people. Once you know how to configure it, once you know how to add it to a domain, that doesn't change the learning as adding 1 computer is the same as adding 100 or 1000.

So not all companies are going to find this to any worse going to windows 10 than they did going from XP to 7 or anything else.

The new Settings UI is resizeable and smarter in that regard than the Control Panel. In it's smallest form it looks like this:

Settings1.png

Which is better than the way the Control Panel UI can be resized:

Control%20Panel.png

When it's all fleshed out it should probably be better for most people.

and just like very metro version of any MS apps, it only has 5% of functionality.

As somebody that works at a place with around 100 employees. I can say that anyone here that acquired it on their own or was given it in office was able to use windows 8 with little to no additional training. You act as if every user needs to know how to be a full sys admin. They need to learn how to launch a program, which they can do so they have little issue then. For anyone in house we have shown them how to do things. Our tech support that supports our ISP customers have been able to learn it very quickly to help customers change IP information or connect to wireless networks on windows 8. So no issues there. Of everyone here that had started off not really liking the change after a week or two there were a few different opinions, I am use to the change and it is fine, I don't really like how they changed things but I can still use it. Nobody has found their computer to be 100% unusable due to windows 8.1 being on there.

So lets look at the IT side of things. It takes no more hours to learn windows 8 to support 1 person than it does 100 people. Once you know how to configure it, once you know how to add it to a domain, that doesn't change the learning as adding 1 computer is the same as adding 100 or 1000.

So not all companies are going to find this to any worse going to windows 10 than they did going from XP to 7 or anything else.

Are you in I.T.? Do you actually see the user tickets as they come in? If not then you have NO CLUE what you are talking about. IN theory adding one comp is the same as adding 1000, in reality its not even close.

Are you in I.T.? Do you actually see the user tickets as they come in? If not then you have NO CLUE what you are talking about. IN theory adding one comp is the same as adding 1000, in reality its not even close.

I was in IT at an ISP till a year ago in charge of about 90 desktop, 50 laptops, and 20 servers. where after 11 years I was promoted out the department to a different technical position within the company of a higher level. However I still have to deal with ensuring that two of the customer facing departments are fully up to date on new OS technology so that they can support all of our customers as they call in or while doing internet installs. However even with me no longer being part of the IT department I am still on all the list for tickets so I do see every ticket that passes through their queue as I still am needed from time to time to answer questions about how things are setup. I also still get questions from people who were use to calling me for a decade and have yet to fully get use to calling somebody else all the time.

Before that while in college I worked in the college IT department working in the repair room for 3 years and had to help manage a network of over 1000 computers. Back then I was doing migrations from Windows NT4 to windows 2k or XP. Adding the computers to the domain was the same process as it was for anything else. Most migrations or replacements we did were in groups of 100 - 150 computers at a time. replacing a few labs or all computers in the offices in a given building at a time.

Process for adding a computer to the domain was the same from NT4 up to windows 8 both at larger network level and here at the smaller company, there are various ways that you can do it, but they all work the same no matter what number you are have to work with. That said different ways work better for larger deployments than other methods. However my comment wasn't about adding the computer the to domain itself but the fact that from an IT aspect if you are learning how to install windows, how to add it to a domain, how to set group policies... it doesn't matter how many computers you have on the other side as once you learn the process for doing it for 1 - 50 computers adding more and more computers doesn't change the actual process. It might change how many policies you have, how you structure the OUs, but it doesn't change the very basics that you need to know about how windows works. If you need to add 1000 computer then you know what process you need for adding that many and you learn that. You don't learn 1000 different processes on how to add computers. So it doesn't take you 1000 times longer to learn how to add 1000 computers to a domain or how to upgrade 1000 computers than it does 1 computer. Which is the way the original person was trying to word it. that while it might take you a few days to learn how to use windows 10 for a single computer when you get up to 100 or 1000 you are looking at a magnitude more time spent yourself trying to learn how to use Windows 10. As if you have to restart and relean the OS for every computer that you support and not a single thing you learned from computer one applies to computer 10 or 100 or 1000.

Now the upgrade process takes time, but the learning process of the OS itself doesn't change. Once you know how to do something on the first you know how to do it on all.

If you setup GP correctly, and run a WSUS server, you'll never see those tickets. Unless hardware fails.

Back