Windows 10 Build 10158 is out

primetime

Supreme [H]ardness
Last edited:
I will try this soon. I had a few bugs with 10130 which prevented me from using it that much. The biggest was a crash (reset/reboot a few seconds into the logon) on login if I had the network cable plugged in.

Last edited:
The restart bug is fixed, no more error box.
My UI has a lot more orange in it...:confused:
Windows search is still very slow even if I disable websearch

Yea, this build is nice. I'll probably end up using it as my daily driver OS. Just got one issue keeping me on the fence, I get infrequent severe frame rate drops in games, wouldn't be surprised if it worked itself out in the next driver from nvidia though.

increasing my vitual memory seemed to improve things with the build being slow, may help with the above gaming trouble.

Looks like it's getting close.
Anyone else have a weird Metro start menu app/icon labeled @(winstore_1.0.0. and a long string after it? I can't delete it or find where in the world it's hiding to get rid of it.

Also, is there any way to sort Metro apps in your start menu? There are a fair number you can't uninstall and they're clogging things up. I just want to hide them or shuffle them off to a folder, but I can't seem to find a way to do that.

The update isn't showing for me on WU even after switching to the fast ring.

Not showing for me either and I can not use torrent here at work unless I want to get fired.

It didn't want to show up for me last night either. Some people had it yesterday mid-day. Supposedly the trick is to restart your machine a few times and toggle back and forth between fast/slow ring to get your system to keep looking.
Mine ended up finally finding it right at 9:00PM last night, so they're probably still triggering it in stages based upon time zones, too.

Looks like it's getting close.
Anyone else have a weird Metro start menu app/icon labeled @(winstore_1.0.0. and a long string after it? I can't delete it or find where in the world it's hiding to get rid of it.

Also, is there any way to sort Metro apps in your start menu? There are a fair number you can't uninstall and they're clogging things up. I just want to hide them or shuffle them off to a folder, but I can't seem to find a way to do that.

That's weird...mine is completely changeable but i did an upgrade this time around versus a clean install....and aside form a couple tiles changing color it seems mostly the same

One thing that still bothers me is that the Start menu resize ability seems to be fixed. Say you pin 3 or 4 applications and set them as small icons then stack them. You have about 2 inches of blank real estate that you cannot shrink.

That's weird...mine is completely changeable but i did an upgrade this time around versus a clean install....and aside form a couple tiles changing color it seems mostly the same

So, you can move Metro apps into folders or delete them? How? Mine's technically an upgrade, although it was off a fresh install of Win 8.1 and I chose to keep no files/settings. This new version was an upgrade on top of the last 130 public release.
I'm not looking to move them from the initial start pop-up, I want to get rid of the ones in the All-Programs start menu. I can uninstall some of them, but about 1/2 of them seem to be locked down, like Photos. Not sure if it's supposed to, but People doesn't work at all for me. It crashes after about 2 seconds every time.

Per Reddit, looks like that weird "dead" icon I have is a remnant of the Beta store. Hopefully someone figures out how to kill those dead metro icons.

Ok i understand what your getting at now...um yea i actually don't usually mess it with much if anything inside of the "all apps" area as i just pin anything i actually use inside of the start menu area. Now i do agree with bigdogchris that it would be nice if the re-size function would allow it to be shrunk down to fit 2 columns or shrunk down to fit the smaller size tiles. Since they don't i just keep using 3 med size tiles across since it looks dumb having wasted space.

I also agree that the "all apps" is annoying compared to win 7 but the star menu is not bad. I usually pin 3 med tiles across or I delete them all
Capture_zpsmwq5oq4s.png

I wonder if anyone running 10158 with an AMD card ( I have an R9 290 ) can tell me if the issue with 10130 and GPU drivers is still present?

The one where windows update would replace any GPU driver ( i.e 14.12 Omega ) with whichever version is available on windows update without being asked and there was no way to prevent it, save messing with powershell.

I want to test the build, but the driver it was installing was very unstable.

Did anyone else notice the crazy beard on that guy in the picture? :p

Pretty sure he has an entire birds nest living in that beard...Fuk i'm all about not shaving for a while but dam i think its covering his keyboard

It didn't want to show up for me last night either. Some people had it yesterday mid-day. Supposedly the trick is to restart your machine a few times and toggle back and forth between fast/slow ring to get your system to keep looking.
Mine ended up finally finding it right at 9:00PM last night, so they're probably still triggering it in stages based upon time zones, too.

I will give up on this today. I have rebooted several times and toggled Fast / Slow but no luck.

I will give up on this today. I have rebooted several times and toggled Fast / Slow but no luck.

Yeah, it made me a little irritated yesterday. I think it just comes down to luck of the draw...and your timezone. You can always try changing your PC's time and see if that helps.

I wonder if anyone running 10158 with an AMD card ( I have an R9 290 ) can tell me if the issue with 10130 and GPU drivers is still present?

The one where windows update would replace any GPU driver ( i.e 14.12 Omega ) with whichever version is available on windows update without being asked and there was no way to prevent it, save messing with powershell.

Even in 10130 there is a setting to disable driver updates. But it is not in the Windows update screen. They hid it somewhere else.

Never mind, it's the same, but can still be circumvented with powershell.

This version is pretty damn good all things considered :cool:

Even in 10130 there is a setting to disable driver updates. But it is not in the Windows update screen. They hid it somewhere else.

No there isn't, it was deliberately removed. However, as I have said, you can use powershell to hide the updates you don't want.

If you know for a fact that there is a setting then please share!

You might have been the smart one anyway...world is Build 10159 will be out tonight:D For fuks sake:rolleyes: lol i might have to skip that one since i hear its only one thing different anyway
For those who don't want the headache...switch to slow ring for a bit:D

Last edited:
Too funny. They might have put the brakes on 158 for people that didn't already grab it since 159 is incoming. With "over 300 fixes" I'll hope that the weird "dead store" icon and DPI scaling are the two fixes. Those are the only full-on broken things for me.
The ability to tinker with Metro app shortcuts would also be nice, but I get the feeling that isn't a bug.

Too funny. They might have put the brakes on 158 for people that didn't already grab it since 159 is incoming. With "over 300 fixes" I'll hope that the weird "dead store" icon and DPI scaling are the two fixes. Those are the only full-on broken things for me.
The ability to tinker with Metro app shortcuts would also be nice, but I get the feeling that isn't a bug.

No...its just a bunch of people spreading bs....THEY MADE 300 CHANGES SINCE 10158!!!! IN ONE WEEKS TIME?
No...its one change only i hear....but somone at MS is smoking crack for sure

Capture_zpstqhauqz3.png

So it looks to be a new live wallpaper.....a hole new build for that:D

https://mega.co.nz/#!I5ZSHK5B!YvIFUL8G6SI9wW-QTzMvzrjqQF7SrAqkHUch8IYQiKA in case someones not in a rush to re download 4gb again....grab it at 15mb

Last edited:
The wallpaper is now included with 10159 but Gabe Aul hinted at that not being what he was referring to as something interesting - since everybody already knew (for the most part) that the "Hero" wallpaper they spent a few days creating (as well as spending some crazy amount of money on) is most likely not what he's talking about.

Now the question is what exactly is he referring to...

Whatever is in there, it has been sitting at 0% downloaded on my machine for the last 30 minutes.

I read the first post about 10158 and wondered why mine showed 10159... and now I see why. Its downloaded and installing now... I hope its something sexy.

Was finished when I woke up. Whatever it did, it didn't delete my dead Metro "Store Beta" app shortcut that's still sitting there with no way to remove it.

Was finished when I woke up. Whatever it did, it didn't delete my dead Metro "Store Beta" app shortcut that's still sitting there with no way to remove it.

After thinking about it a bit...They really don't want anyone deleting the primary reason for Windows 10 anyway. They cant sell you stuff through the store if the store app is deleted. Anyway thats the only idea that comes to mind as to the trouble deleting that tile and admittedly it could be a bad guess as i see your wrote dead metro app

The normal store works fine. The dead app is the old "beta" store, which was replaced by the new store.
While not exactly like this, this describes a similar issue in Windows 8:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...81-after/994b978b-f199-4db2-910f-b5b914acd797
I'm going to try that folder when I get home and see if killing off those shortcuts can get rid of that app...and a few others that I really don't want, too. Hell, maybe I can even stick 'em all in a folder!

Never mind, it's the same, but can still be circumvented with powershell.

This version is pretty damn good all things considered :cool:

No there isn't, it was deliberately removed. However, as I have said, you can use powershell to hide the updates you don't want.

If you know for a fact that there is a setting then please share!

I haven't updated to 10158 yet because it hasn't showed up for me yet, but as of 10130 it was there.

Right click "This PC"
Click advanced system settings
Click hardware Tab
Click device installation settings
Select "No let me choose what to do "
Select "Never install driver software from windows update"
Click save changes button and exit.

I'll have to check to see if 10159 will download & update tonight.

The PC's I tried worked. But they are fast channels. I believe MS did say that there are different groups, so maybe you're in a later group?

Also, I guess the ISO's only release when the slow channel gets it. If you want an ISO now, you can convert the install.ESD file to an ISO with NTlite.

Back