Windows 10 Boot time very slow...but games improved?

KillRoy X

Gawd
So upgraded from W7 to W10. So far really liking W10. Couple things:

1, Per Glary Utilities, my boot up time has increased from an avg of 30 seconds, to about 80 seconds. I have an older system as you can see, so not asking for miracles, but this was a big change. Doesn't feel that slow when it boots up, but this is the analytics that Glary's giving me.

2. This one could be a stretch, but not sure what's going on. New games, like Wolfy Old Blood struggles on my system, no doubt. Was almost unplayable on W7, however on W10, for whatever reasons, it's FPS increased and no more studdering. I am no complaining, but trying to find out if this is even possible. Is DX12 even doing anything good or bad on current games??? I have the latest Nvidia drivers fyi.

1. Windows has a bit of a habit of delaying boot up processes a bit to reduce I/O overload (in my experience). I would just test with the stop watch and if it's under 30 seconds to desktop after BIOS, things are good.

2. Newer built in drivers?

Did you try a clean install? Unless Windows intentionally moves old files to the end of the drive, which I do not think it does, you are installing Windows 10 upgrade into a slower part of your hard drive than the upgraded OS was on.

If you don't want to clean install, at least run Disk Cleanup and delete old Windows installations, then run disk defragger and let it consolidate the drive. It will take quite a while to finish.

So upgraded from W7 to W10. So far really liking W10. Couple things:

1, Per Glary Utilities, my boot up time has increased from an avg of 30 seconds, to about 80 seconds. I have an older system as you can see, so not asking for miracles, but this was a big change. Doesn't feel that slow when it boots up, but this is the analytics that Glary's giving me.

2. This one could be a stretch, but not sure what's going on. New games, like Wolfy Old Blood struggles on my system, no doubt. Was almost unplayable on W7, however on W10, for whatever reasons, it's FPS increased and no more studdering. I am no complaining, but trying to find out if this is even possible. Is DX12 even doing anything good or bad on current games??? I have the latest Nvidia drivers fyi.

The Windows 10 OS has clearly been better optimized in my opinion. Your experience with games is not an isolated incident, others have reported the same results after upgrading. :)

I agree on doing a system reset and then reinstalling all your programs if need be. I experienced the same issue on 2 laptops that I upgraded. Once I did a complete reset and data restoration, the systems ran much better. However, I have not had to do so with my own computers so far.

Yeah it's a weird thing, because I timed it with a stop watch, and it's clearly faster than what Glary's is stating. Maybe Glary's Utility needs to update their program for the W10? It was off by about 30 seconds, so somethings up.

Last edited:
Back