Windows 10 blue Screen Loop

Violator

Gawd
Right, not sure whether this should be in Hardware or OS. So I'll start here.

PC (in specs) been working absolutely fine up till today. I'd left it on to go do something else, came back and it was stuck at the 'we encountered an error....' screen. No bother, rebooted and seemed ok. Then it bluescreened again. This time on reboot it bluescreened seconds after the boot up circle appeared.

Rebooted again and tried a system restore (this was the last time I could get this option). That didn't work either. Hard locked on me once it booted to desktop.

I can't even attempt a repair from USB as it bluescreens before the initial boot completes.

Running memtest gave me an error. Took out 1 stick and rerun memtest, all ok. Tried to boot windows, nope BS again, same if I try a repair.

Any suggestions? This build is only a few months old.

Well if its blue screening while trying to boot a known good usb that tells ya something in my mind (it still has hardware issues) try clearing cmos, reset defaults, and go thru all the bios settings again cause something isn't right

Well if its blue screening while trying to boot a known good usb that tells ya something in my mind (it still has hardware issues) try clearing cmos, reset defaults, and go thru all the bios settings again cause something isn't right

Done all that. Even tried disabling the SSD/HDD then booting from USB. Still bluescreens. Thing is it does it at virtually exactly the same point. If I boot from USB, the keyboard lights up, then the mouse and that's where it will bs. On a 'normal' boot, it'll get as far as the circle starting and then bs usually either nonpage error or driver not less_equal.

try dropping the memory speed to very slow speeds and easiest timings...what your describing is a serious hardware instability. How many sticks of ram are still installed? Those skylake systems can be a real bitch to troubleshoot.....disabling cstates, raising memory voltage or memory stability bios settings...Some people swear their brand new cpus are defective

Last edited:
try dropping the memory speed to very slow speeds and easiest timings...what your describing is a serious hardware instability. How many sticks of ram are still installed? Those skylake systems can be a real bitch to troubleshoot.....disabling cstates, raising memory voltage or memory stability bios settings...Some people swear their brand new cpus are defective
I've reset to defaults with the same result. Tried 1 stick of both with same results. Have now swapped ram round and rerunning memtest.

One thing that's come up on the bluescreens a few times relates to an acpi.sys error.

Could it be gfx card related? I've not tried pulling that yet.

I've reset to defaults with the same result. Tried 1 stick of both with same results. Have now swapped ram round and rerunning memtest.

One thing that's come up on the bluescreens a few times relates to an acpi.sys error.

Could it be gfx card related? I've not tried pulling that yet.
I don't think so.....I simple Google search pulls up lots of crashing skylake builds and a lot are never resolved....those IRQ Les than equal are memory related usually....I would pull the dam CPU at this point and try redoing it as well......is there any BIOS setting left to try? Disable xmp?

I don't think so.....I simple Google search pulls up lots of crashing skylake builds and a lot are never resolved....those IRQ Les than equal are memory related usually....I would pull the dam CPU at this point and try redoing it as well
Yep I've done the Google search too :) thing is that gets me, why is it exactly the same point it bs. CPU or even memory issue I'd expect it to be more random.

What about the motherboard drive controller? Especially with the acpi.sys errors.

Yeah, sounds like a drive issue based on acpi.sys but that could be a false positive.

Do you have another machine you can download a portable Linux distro on, but that on a USB stick and boot from that? Just eliminate software as the issue. Reading back you may have already done this?

Not sure, honestly. Do what's been suggested (slow the memory down, raise voltage) and we'll go from there.

Yeah, sounds like a drive issue based on acpi.sys but that could be a false positive.

Do you have another machine you can download a portable Linux distro on, but that on a USB stick and boot from that? Just eliminate software as the issue. Reading back you may have already done this?

Not sure, honestly. Do what's been suggested (slow the memory down, raise voltage) and we'll go from there.
I've not tried the Linux option, good shout. Though to reiterate, I tried disabling all drives and then booting from a win10 usb just to see if I could even get as far as 'no drives detected' but nope. I'll try it though, and slowing the ram down too.

Memory seems ok. Going to try Linux usb boot.

Attachments

• 20160509_182411.jpg
    20160509_182411.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 19
Ok tried Ubuntu (option without installing) and it's frozen here

Attachments

• 20160509_183008.jpg
    20160509_183008.jpg
    237.9 KB · Views: 20
Asked Ubuntu to do a disc check

Update - dropped memory to 1600 and it freezes with Ubuntu before any screen output. Same with win10 usb boot.

Attachments

• 20160509_183736.jpg
    20160509_183736.jpg
    255.8 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
go buy you a brand new skylake and then return your bad one as "defective" lol......idk either your board, cpu or ram has gone bad.....But i think you need to look closely at the cpu. Maybe it got over tightened and bent? Cause you got a bad hardware issue

If you're within the return window I'd go that route rather than RMA with ASUS. They're really slow at best, and at worst I've heard horror stories. Apparently they like to get the board, bend some pins in the socket and claim it was done by the user, so I'd take pictures of the board and the socket pins before you send it in, at bare minimum.

Wait. Hold the press. Just downclocked the CPU to 3.5ghz and I can boot from the win10 usb.....

System restore and I can boot into Windows.

Primetime, you were correct sir methinks

Now, what's the process for returning an Intel chip bought in November from Amazon?

Last edited:
Wait. Hold the press. Just downclocked the CPU to 3.5ghz and I can boot from the win10 usb.....

System restore and I can boot into Windows.

Primetime, you were correct sir methinks

Now, what's the process for returning an Intel chip bought in November from Amazon?
If i had to guess it passed the amazon return window this far along.....Might be 4 weeks if going thru Intel RMA? If you can find a local bigbox store reseller then it could be done much quicker if you get my drift. (Intel pays for it in the end right?)

You sure the AIO water loop is working properly? Also, I'd imagine you have to RMA through Intel.

I'd be shocked if it is the CPU. My guess is the motherboard especially since downclocking it works. If you are using a water loop, make sure the chips on the motherboard specifically the Northbridge is getting plenty of air and also plenty of voltage.

You sure the AIO water loop is working properly? Also, I'd imagine you have to RMA through Intel.

I'd be shocked if it is the CPU. My guess is the motherboard especially since downclocking it works. If you are using a water loop, make sure the chips on the motherboard specifically the Northbridge is getting plenty of air and also plenty of voltage.

Happens regardless of temp. I've just tried it at 3.8Ghz 1.37v and it bluescreens at the same point. If I drop to 3.5Ghz 1.35v it'll boot fine into Windows

Happens regardless of temp. I've just tried it at 3.8Ghz 1.37v and it bluescreens at the same point. If I drop to 3.5Ghz 1.35v it'll boot fine into Windows
Now when you underclock the cpu does i also underclock the ram as well? But i guess if you already manually set the ram to slowest speed before then its still the cpu going bad since otherwise it would have run ok when you tried it. I lot of people just by another cpu then sell the brand new rma for a slight hit when it comes back.....just depends on your financial situation

And what is the Northbridge temp and the Northbridge voltage?

Done all that. Even tried disabling the SSD/HDD then booting from USB. Still bluescreens. Thing is it does it at virtually exactly the same point. If I boot from USB, the keyboard lights up, then the mouse and that's where it will bs. On a 'normal' boot, it'll get as far as the circle starting and then bs usually either nonpage error or driver not less_equal.
90% of the time that is a RAM error. Actually it was 100% of the time in all of my experiences.

Now when you underclock the cpu does i also underclock the ram as well? But i guess if you already manually set the ram to slowest speed before then its still the cpu going bad since otherwise it would have run ok when you tried it. I lot of people just by another cpu then sell the brand new rma for a slight hit when it comes back.....just depends on your financial situation
RAM stays at the same speed, just the CPU speed changes.

If I was 100% it was the CPU I'd just buy another and rma this one.

And what is the Northbridge temp and the Northbridge voltage?
I'd have to check but you still think that's relevant given that a drop in CPU speed lets me boot but at default 4Ghz it won't?

Bearing in mind it's been running just fine for last 6 months.

Electronics degrade over time especially if overheated. I'm not sure why you'd think the cpu could degrade but the chips on the motherboard wouldn't. :)

I really can't think of an CPUs that partially fail although I guess it's possible. Keep in mind that unless you are running the CPU without cooling, it's really hard to damage one. On the other hand, the chips on the motherboard can easily die or degrade from overheating unless you are specifically trying to keep them cool. With an overclocked system, motherboard chips are almost always the first to go. Watercooling just the CPU gives you a false sense of stability and gives you know idea that you are overheating the motherboard chips because it seems just fine.

Electronics degrade over time especially if overheated. I'm not sure why you'd think the cpu could degrade but the chips on the motherboard wouldn't. :)

I really can't think of an CPUs that partially fail although I guess it's possible. Keep in mind that unless you are running the CPU without cooling, it's really hard to damage one. On the other hand, the chips on the motherboard can easily die or degrade from overheating unless you are specifically trying to keep them cool. With an overclocked system, motherboard chips are almost always the first to go. Watercooling just the CPU gives you a false sense of stability and gives you know idea that you are overheating the motherboard chips because it seems just fine.
Sorry, wasn't doubting about the degrading. The MB temp has always been fine. The case is very airflow efficient. Not to say it COULDN'T be something on the MB. How to test?

Well today it won't boot at all, even dropping cpu to 2.8ghz. Bluescreens all the way :(

Edit : reset CMOS and now won't POST. Mobo displays either 04, 62 or 79.

So mobo then.

In saying that, after a Google for those codes, the issue has been solved by replacing the cpu.

:mad::confused:

Fuck it, ordered new cpu....

Last edited:
The cpu is made on a tiny fragile 14nm process...To my knowledge the MB is not and therefor more durable . I swear these skylakes get rma'd at twice the rate these old tanks did

New CPU in. Motherboard now stuck on code 32.

Fucking mobo then surely.
do a full clear c-mos since? Im not convinced theres a problem with the mb just yet....this could be an issue with the os. i would try a new install to be sure

Yep. Same error.
thing that would concern me is all the crashes that os has had since your crashing issues.....their could be some bad corruption or whatever. I have never had an os survive without damage that many crashes myself. pop in a windows 10 usb flash and it takes all but 5 min to try a fresh install. I dont see how theirs a choice unless you have a different drive you could try on. You could always try the start up repair as well

Last edited:
Board sounds to be shot, yeah. I'd go ahead and return the new CPU and start an RMA with ASUS, or if you have the extra cash buy a new board, start the RMA, and plan to sell it when you get it back.

Back