Windows 10 April 2018 Update Changed My Settings

• Thread starter Deleted member 80813
  • Start date
20 years ago this would have been a valid argument. All OEMs are making Chromebooks now and those are easy to buy anywhere.

Good point... and yes it does seem like the "main stream" Linux that has the best shot of dethroning MS is Chomeos. Adding Linux support now... and soon enough I'm sure they will add 3D support and actual games. May not be a big AAA gaming push out of the gate... but it seems every year Google ups the hardware and software targets of their os.

The main hurdle was OEMs and that as you say isn't an issue. At the rate google does the +feature every year I would think in a few years AAA gaming on chromeos machines may not be all that crazy.

Microsoft ties Windows pricing to hardware capabilities and price ranges. Cheapo Windows laptops and tablets are probably close to $0 for the cost of Windows. For higher end workstation and gaming class machines, OEMs do pay more for Windows.

The no discount when you select Linux... is mainly because a company like Dell only offers Linux on its developer line. So they justify the no discount by saying we are charging you for enhanced developer support.

Honestly I'm ok with that myself. If the oem is ensuring that they are selecting hardware that runs well under Linux... making sure extensions for media keys (so average users don't have to do it) are installed. I think its logical that they can charge 20-30 bucks for Linux.

Its a free OS sure but there is no reason you can't sell support.

Minor thing and might not apply to all of their linux'able offings, but if you look at the Dell XPS 13, Windows 10 Home adds an extra $95.

So, back to the thread topic.

There's no disputing that the Windows 10 updater is terrible. ;)

Reactions: ChadD
like this
Minor thing and might not apply to all of their linux'able offings, but if you look at the Dell XPS 13, Windows 10 Home adds an extra $95.

Interesting... ya the Developer version sells for at least as much. Its also the only version that ships with Linux. Ya 95 bucks goes against the its practically free nonsense that MS has managed to sell. Hiding costs at the OEM and giving away upgrades has convinced a lot of people that MS stopped making money on windows sales or something. I know I have posted many times about their AD sales taking over as the main source of income (which is true) still all the OEM windows licences add up to many 100s of millions every year.

Interesting... ya the Developer version sells for at least as much. Its also the only version that ships with Linux. Ya 95 bucks goes against the its practically free nonsense that MS has managed to sell. Hiding costs at the OEM and giving away upgrades has convinced a lot of people that MS stopped making money on windows sales or something. I know I have posted many times about their AD sales taking over as the main source of income (which is true) still all the OEM windows licences add up to many 100s of millions every year.

Yeah, nope: http://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop.../xps-13/spd/xps-13-9370-laptop/cax13w10p2c601

Edit: The ram is clearly where they make their money. $100 more for only 4GB additional? WOW! Man, you can go for the $999 version with Windows 10 Home and upgrade to 8GB for a lot less than that. Looks like Unbuntu is not free, after all.

There is also actual support for the Windows that is on the computer but, does Dell even bother supporting Ubuntu once they sold you the machine?

Last edited:
Yeah, nope: http://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop.../xps-13/spd/xps-13-9370-laptop/cax13w10p2c601

Edit: The ram is clearly where they make their money. $100 more for only 4GB additional? WOW! Man, you can go for the $999 version with Windows 10 Home and upgrade to 8GB for a lot less than that. Looks like Unbuntu is not free, after all.

There is also actual support for the Windows that is on the computer but, does Dell even bother supporting Ubuntu once they sold you the machine?

https://linux.dell.com/

http://www.dell.com/learn/us/en/555/campaigns/xps-linux-laptop_us

Dell only offers Linux on their developer line... support is offered for Ubuntu and Red Hat... and yes of course they are supported.

http://en.community.dell.com/techce...loper-and-engineering-systems-project-sputnik

Standard Service:
  • All of the above systems come with 1 year Dell ProSupport and onsite service after remote diagnostics
It shouldn't really be shocking to anyone that Dell sells Linux should it ? They sell servers, do you guys really think those are shipping with Windows on them ? Dell sells lots of servers with RHEL on them and I'm sure a few with Ubuntu. Their project sputnik developer line stuff of course gets support... and ya they sell the support. Linux is free but I don't think anyone expects pro support for nothing, the sputnik laptops and workstations are pro level support products.

They don't ship servers normally with an OS. But their x86 servers are all supported under Windows Server.

I was responding to the silly;
"There is also actual support for the Windows that is on the computer but, does Dell even bother supporting Ubuntu once they sold you the machine?"
Which is some really old right from MS mouth FUD. Yes Dell ships computers with Ubuntu on them and doesn't support it. Dumb.

Also for the record Dell does ship server hardware with Windows server, RHEL, and Ubuntu Server on them. Those are the 3 Operating Systems they offer official Dell support for. RHEL support is also provided by Red Hat directly. RHEL is not the cheapest option... still very popular for many reasons as I'm sure you understand. As you cliam to have Linux server experience. Yes you can buy clean servers... and I'm sure perhaps your bank does that, but dell offers servers already loaded and ready to go.

It is an option but the default is no OS. Most would install their own OS anyway.

You would be surprised, as I said. Sure your bank would buy them blank as would most other larger customers. Dell sells a lot of small and medium size business servers, I know I have seen plenty of them and a good number of those get shipped with an OS. Anyway not a big point. The point was yes dell supports an OS they ship pre loaded. Suggestions otherwise sound like MS sales man FUD.

"There is also actual support for the Windows that is on the computer but, does Dell even bother supporting Ubuntu once they sold you the machine?"
Which is some really old right from MS mouth FUD. Yes Dell ships computers with Ubuntu on them and doesn't support it. Dumb.

Also for the record Dell does ship server hardware with Windows server, RHEL, and Ubuntu Server on them. Those are the 3 Operating Systems they offer official Dell support for. RHEL support is also provided by Red Hat directly. RHEL is not the cheapest option... still very popular for many reasons as I'm sure you understand. As you cliam to have Linux server experience. Yes you can buy clean servers... and I'm sure perhaps your bank does that, but dell offers servers already loaded and ready to go.

Dude, no one can take you seriously when you are unwilling to take others seriously. You almost had it correct when you showed me where they do support it but then you continued on your triad and once again, things are the way they have always been. Heatless was correct, you are just pushing your agenda.........

Edit: Proof is in your own text and no, they are not taken out of context:

The point was yes dell supports an OS they ship pre loaded. Suggestions otherwise sound like MS sales man FUD.

Last edited:
You guys are too funny sometimes. Where did I contradict myself ? Quoting you without using the system quote ?

Dell supports Operating systems they ship.... no contradiction. :)

No agenda no tirade. Dell only ships developer ubuntu machines which does sort of suck cause ya they are pricey. Its nice dell is selling ubuntu again but I admit its a half win for Linux in general. Those machines aren't aimed at average or even power users. Most people still end up buying non developer line dells and wipe Windows, on that score ya I doubt Dell would offer Ubuntu support. They don't void the warrenty or anything silly but they don't support it if it didn't ship from them. LIkewise if you buy a windows 10 machine from them and downgrade it to 7 or 8 you won't get tech support.

BTW at this stage I'd be more surprised if an update didn't change any settings.

This.

Even minor security updates sometimes sets the IE settings back to defaults.

We still have an old application that requires IE with custom settings, and I'm getting tired of the constant calls that application won't let them login due to aindows 10 update messing with the settings. Sometimes the update so messes up the settings I have to reset them back to the defaults, reboot and then make the changes I need.

Every Dell server I ever bought came with Windows installed by default, the option was to buy a server without an OS installed.

Regarding ManOdGod's comment re: Ram prices on OEM hardware, Apple takes the cake in that regard! Having said that, ram is expensive at the moment. Even 2nd hand ECC DDR3 is through the roof.

This.

Even minor security updates sometimes sets the IE settings back to defaults.

We still have an old application that requires IE with custom settings, and I'm getting tired of the constant calls that application won't let them login due to aindows 10 update messing with the settings. Sometimes the update so messes up the settings I have to reset them back to the defaults, reboot and then make the changes I need.

You should go and kick the person who implemented that IE dependent application to the nuts, only after then complain about the settings change :D

You should go and kick the person who implemented that IE dependent application to the nuts, only after then complain about the settings change :D

I would if they had any :eek::confused::D

I hope to finally be rid of the last couple legacy apps (and this IE dependent app) by the end of the year.
Management finally realized how much these old apps are costing to maintain, and how much of a security hole they are.

Every Dell server I ever bought came with Windows installed by default, the option was to buy a server without an OS installed.

Every Dell server I've bought came without the OS.
However, we are a Microsoft developer, and they provided us with enough production licenses to handle our needs.

Changed them in a major way. WTF??!!
I had updates turned off and it still kept asking to update. Even though it still did an update overnight. Even deleted my wallpaper. Not changed, DELETED!
Why do companies feel compelled to break things that are working fine and piss off its customer base?
Now I will have to spend hours getting everything set back to a usable state. If I can.

If you turned of the computer off at night it will not update, what is wrong with any new updates from MS unless you something hide? and if still not happy go back to windows 98 the hackers dream windows.

If you turned of the computer off at night it will not update, what is wrong with any new updates from MS unless you something hide? and if still not happy go back to windows 98 the hackers dream windows.
Do you have a reading disorder? People don't want the updates because they mess up the system settings, install bloatware and adware and potentially render the machine unbootable.

My computer was off. When I turned it on it started updating. No notice when I shut it down that it was going to do this. While I do not mind updates, they should not change my settings or delete things.

Do you have a reading disorder? People don't want the updates because they mess up the system settings, install bloatware and adware and potentially render the machine unbootable.

You are a funny guy, Windows 10 on my system is not mess up even with the update on, must be some crap you use.

My computer was off. When I turned it on it started updating. No notice when I shut it down that it was going to do this. While I do not mind updates, they should not change my settings or delete things.

OK, on my computer when win10 update all the files are still there but I only have a few programs on C::\ all my games, photos, backups, art, is installed on my other drivers and none are deleted, if you go in to setting and turn off things and make Win 10 better, I turn off all my bloatware apps from updating also location, if you turn off 'let windows clean up the files on your computer you don't use',

You are a funny guy, Windows 10 on my system is not mess up even with the update on, must be some crap you use.
I don't use Windows 10 daily so it's the crap YOU use. Works for me (tm).

Back