Windows 10 April 2018 Update Changed My Settings

• Thread starter Deleted member 80813
  • Start date
1. Employed by Microsoft to push and encourage Microsoft propaganda in online forums, as I think at least a few at H Forum are here to do

I have no clue what you are talking about. We are just regular consumers like you who enjoy our increased productivity and lifestyle that only Windows 10® operating systems can bring. Perhaps you are just using the wrong version, which isnt a problem because we.. urr.. Microsoft has a fantastic selection versions to fit your exact needs. Are you a hardworking student by day and a hardcore video gamer by night? Check out Microsoft's Windows 10 Education® version. With is huge selection of productivity software and games on the Microsoft Windows Store®, you are sure to find everything you would need. Are you a working professional? Try out the Windows 10 Professional edition with advanced features like Azure Domain services built right in! Make sure to get a Microsoft Office 365 account going so you can stay on top of your business. How can you not be excited for Windows 10. Check it out today!! www,microsoft.com.

Even that doesn't seem to be entirely comprehensive - otherwise it probably wouldn't be described as only "to help prevent Windows from sending any data to Microsoft". And that is a ton of work to do, with all that work probably getting wiped out by the next bi-annual large update.

An enterprise deployment of Windows is a much different animal than consumers updating through Windows Update. If you really want to send ZERO data back to Microsoft, it's always been complicated as you have to manage things people never think about like time services, the internet status indicator or even sending a malware signature back to the intrusion tool.

We have been testing Windows 10 since day one and it's now getting rolled out across the bank. New hardware and VMs are all 10 now unless you get an exception. A Windows 10 setup like ours is WAY, WAY more secure and less "leaky" than the typical consumer or even business Windows 7 install. IT HAS TO BE.

I get that people suggesting as you are are probably primarily either:

1. Employed by Microsoft to push and encourage Microsoft propaganda in online forums, as I think at least a few at H Forum are here to do

2. People who want to keep the word about the better Windows editions a secret so as to not risk spoiling things for themselves

fuck off with that bullshit. i called it LGBT ffs. ive been in service and sales for 20 years and I see the reality. a normal consumer cannot go and buy LGBT version of windows.
"LTSB is a licensing option for Windows 10 Enterprise and is available only for customers with a Volume License agreement."
"In creating this branch of Windows, Microsoft's goal was to serve the needs of what it calls "specialized devices.""
http://www.techproresearch.com/article/is-the-windows-10-long-term-servicing-branch-right-for-you/

Why cant they? Just because they can't buy one through retail sources like newegg or amazon, doesn't mean they aren't available. Find your favorite microsoft authorized distributor and ask for a single seat price. Don't want to do that? Find one from a reputable UK where the licensing agreements are very different than ours.
these are meant for enterprise environments. that is not a normal consumer.

This is not true. An Enterprise license is a stand-alone license that installs directly from an Enterprise installer. There is no upgrade from Win 10 Pro to Enterprise. The only upgrade path that I'm aware of is from Win 10 Home to Pro.

Pretty sure you have no clue what your talking about here my friend. There is no such thing as a legit $25 windows enterprise licence for a personal user. I have no doubt some of MS top 10 largest clients MAY bet getting $25 dollar per device deals. In the real world .... per user is around $250-300 depending which MS employee you talk to and what they quote you based on your projected spend (they have a quoting algorithm). They may offer you a cheaper $80-100 Yearly fee type Enterprise subscription if its logical... and with no acceptions machines need a windows pro licence.

http://download.microsoft.com/downl...30B60F6/Windows-10-Volume-Licensing-Guide.pdf

To make it plain though from MS own Lit;
" Windows licenses available through Volume Licensing are upgrade-only licenses. They do not replace the base, “qualifying” licenses for operating system software that comes preinstalled on new PCs. Each PC that runs the Windows 10 Pro or Enterprise upgrade must first be licensed to run one of the qualifying operating systems identified below—otherwise the PC will not have a valid, legal Windows license. "

these are meant for enterprise environments. that is not a normal consumer.

I have Windows 10 Pro on a laptop that isn’t on a domain, doesn’t need hyper v, and will never be used for rdp. It’s in no way being used for anything a working professional would. What’s the difference. LTSB is just a branch of Enterprise. I know that LTSB was made by Microsoft with intentions of it being used on machines that are built for a single purpose or machines they are more service devices but that doesn’t make it a bad operating system for people who understand what it is and it’s differences.

Pretty sure you have no clue what your talking about here my friend. There is no such thing as a legit $25 windows enterprise licence for a personal user. I have no doubt some of MS top 10 largest clients MAY bet getting $25 dollar per device deals. In the real world .... per user is around $250-300 depending which MS employee you talk to and what they quote you based on your projected spend (they have a quoting algorithm). They may offer you a cheaper $80-100 Yearly fee type Enterprise subscription if its logical... and with no acceptions machines need a windows pro licence

http://download.microsoft.com/downl...30B60F6/Windows-10-Volume-Licensing-Guide.pdf

To make it plain though from MS own Lit;
" Windows licenses available through Volume Licensing are upgrade-only licenses. They do not replace the base, “qualifying” licenses for operating system software that comes preinstalled on new PCs. Each PC that runs the Windows 10 Pro or Enterprise upgrade must first be licensed to run one of the qualifying operating systems identified below—otherwise the PC will not have a valid, legal Windows license.

I didn't know about that. Though, I thought you meant that a Windows 10 Pro installation would upgrade to an Enterprise edition. Enterprise must be fresh installed to an empty partition from an Enterprise image.

I bought an Enterprise license for around $15 (I forget exactly how much) off eBay, and I contacted MS support and asked them to verify whether the license was valid, and it was confirmed for me that it was. I then installed Enterprise on a blank partition on my PC, using the Enterprise license, and it worked.

I previously did have Win 10 Pro installed on that machine, before I formatted the HDD, so I guess it was already recognized as being licensed for Pro.

But then how does that work in a corporate environment, where there are hundreds or thousands of PCs? They don't have to first install Windows 10 Pro before then installing Enterprise - that just wouldn't make sense.

I have Windows 10 Pro on a laptop that isn’t on a domain, doesn’t need hyper v, and will never be used for rdp. It’s in no way being used for anything a working professional would. What’s the difference. LTSB is just a branch of Enterprise. I know that LTSB was made by Microsoft with intentions of it being used on machines that are built for a single purpose or machines they are more service devices but that doesn’t make it a bad operating system for people who understand what it is and it’s differences.
you can buy pro anywhere and consumer systems ship with it. enterprise is not normal consumer level. get it? we at [H] are not the normal consumer.

edit: and deciding to work around their licensing structure does not make it legit.

I didn't know about that. Though, I thought you meant that a Windows 10 Pro installation would upgrade to an Enterprise edition. Enterprise must be fresh installed to an empty partition from an Enterprise image.

I bought an Enterprise license for around $15 (I forget exactly how much) off eBay, and I contacted MS support and asked them to verify whether the license was valid, and it was confirmed for me that it was. I then installed Enterprise on a blank partition on my PC, using the Enterprise license, and it worked.

I previously did have Win 10 Pro installed on that machine, before I formatted the HDD, so I guess it was already recognized as being licensed for Pro.

But then how does that work in a corporate environment, where there are hundreds or thousands of PCs? They don't have to first install Windows 10 Pro before then installing Enterprise - that just wouldn't make sense.

In most cases they buy the machines with a pro licence. In the case of stupid large 2,000+ machine type companies perhaps MS works out a deal. That isn't something they offer even decent size 200-300 machine companies however. They expect them to buy Pro licences for all machines running enterprise. (they also offer volume pricing on pro... and bills I have seen to companies with 200-300 machines yes those costs are included in their total quote). They allow them to image and install enterprise fresh, just as if you upgrade to pro they will let you install pro clean... but somewhere along the line they are paying for the pro licence as well. (again perhaps some of the absolute biggest get some form of deal but I bet their bills still list the pro licences even if they get sold for a buck or something)

As far as the $15 licence from ebay... hey man the MS support workers are not paid to give people a hard time. They will activate most "legit" keys when asked. I wouldn't go so far as call that a good licence. Your basically activating your machine on a companies volume licence.... so if say they decide next month to go Linux. As I understand it your key would become non-legit. If you activated with KMS I would imagine you would have 180 days till the next check in when your windows would unactivate itself. If you are activated by MAK... I'm honestly not sure if it would become unactivated the next time you tried to download a windows update (likely) or if you would be fine as long as you didn't change a bunch of hardware or something. (I would bet on first time you tried to connect to MS for anything you would be pouched)

Those are the 2 methods of Enterprise activation... both are tied to the volume licence holder. (and for $25 bucks your not the holder)
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff793432.aspx

a normal consumer cant get win10 LGBT, it meant for things like medical machines. so leave it out of any argument.

just like a person can choose to use one OS to keep things simple and unified. its personal choice, stop trying to ram yours down our throats! raaaaaape!!

But as you can see it has stopped being simple. You've being rooted by MS because there are just too many sheep for the slaughter.

Of course not. When was the last time you heard a linux user got a forced update, reboot or their settings were overwritten by the distro maintainer? Not to mention built in keyloggers and spyware.

You're being exploited by a mega corporation and seem to bend over deeper when asked.

but you're talking about a different issue...earlier you stated "that by limiting yourself to only one OS you're in fact being enslaved by Microsoft"...so my question was going by your definition, if you limit yourself to just Linux you would also be enslaving yourself...Linux is not perfect and has its own set of issues

but you're talking about a different issue...earlier you stated "that by limiting yourself to only one OS you're in fact being enslaved by Microsoft"...so my question was going by your definition, if you limit yourself to just Linux you would also be enslaving yourself...Linux is not perfect and has its own set of issues

Windows and Linux are not the only operating systems.

Not that I would want to answer for anyone but I'm pretty sure BOOnie has mentioned being an Apple user.

Seriously though I use .... Linux BSD Android ChromeOS Windows in that order. lmao

Who said you should limit yourself to only one OS? The difference with Windows is that the corporation has shown malicious intents towards the end users so if you restrict yourself to it you're enslaved. With linux you're free even to modify the OS yourself if you wish. Two completely different worlds.

As long as the majority keeps using Windows, Microsoft gets away with murder. It's your own faults.

you need to ask yourself why do the majority use Windows if Linux is so much better?...even among the tech saavy Linux is not crushing Windows by any stretch (in terms of overall usage numbers)

I think saying its being beaten by a large margin by the tech savvy is a bit wrong. It really depends on your definition of tech savvy.

https://slashdot.org/poll/3084/as-a...fer-the-following-to-manage-large-user-groups
https://slashdot.org/poll/2999/my-main-computer-runs-the-following-operating-system

Not to go back and forth with more windows linux crap. If you love windows go to it. I mean every computing platform outside the "personal computer" which I guess means desktop to most people (even though I would say the one everyone has in their pocket is much more a personal computer) is running a *nix OS.

The last hold out seems to be the gaming industry... well sort of. Truth is it takes years to develop games, and even that industry has spent the last 5 or 6 years cross platforming all their tech. MS is on about as firm a spit of ground these days as Intel and Honolulu. (ok not cool... bad joke) lol :)

The difference with Windows is that the corporation has shown malicious intents towards the end users so if you restrict yourself to it you're enslaved.

With virtually all desktop PC software available on Windows, not just games but virtually everything along with support for virtually all x86 hardware, how is one being enslaved? No one is saying that Windows is perfect but clearly its strength is its desktop ecosystem.

Last edited:
Exactly. I run both Windows and Linux. I mainly use Windows because the software I am using is only available for Windows.

you need to ask yourself why do the majority use Windows if Linux is so much better?...even among the tech saavy Linux is not crushing Windows by any stretch (in terms of overall usage numbers)

You need to wake up if you haven't figured it out already. Decades of illegal or unfair business practices, including punishing vendors for selling competing products. Windows was never the best OS
Same difference like with retail and OEM licenses. Artificial barrier of licensing.

With virtually all desktop PC software available on Windows, not just games but virtually everything along with support for virtually all x86 hardware, how is one being enslaved? No one is saying that Windows is perfect but clearly its strength is its desktop ecosystem.

Enslaved to pay to Microsoft not by just the licence cost - but with your privacy and free time. You get spied upon and Microsoft forces updates on you that revert the changes that you made and sometimes down right breaks things. This is the enslavement. You are on their leash and they can choose what they want to do with your computer.

You are on their leash and they can choose what they want to do with your computer.

Even if this is true a lot of people use Windows because it gives them options to use their computers in ways that aren't available on other platforms.

Even if this is true a lot of people use Windows because it gives them options to use their computers in ways that aren't available on other platforms.

Not using Windows, not missing any part of this rich ecosystem [skip] rich ecosystem [skip] rich ecosystem [kick]...You keep harping on about like a broken record. The bulk of computer illiterate Windows users need a browser and en email client.

Reactions: ChadD
like this
so to bring this back to the point, if you are using win10 pro and are having issues with the updates, cause they are really a full reinstall of windows and not really an update, you have to use group policy to set the majority of your settings, not regedt, not control panel, but gpedit.msc.

If that's all one needs then they don't need a desktop at all regardless of the OS.

By jove I think he gets it.

Grats Heatle you get it at last. Yes the vast majority of the worlds PC users don't really need a desktop PC.

By jove I think he gets it.

Grats Heatle you get it at last. Yes the vast majority of the worlds PC users don't really need a desktop PC.

I've always gotten it. As many folks that don't like Windows 10 proclaim, their PCs aren't smartphones. Of course not. You don't put in dedicated power circuits in your house for smartphones.

Not using Windows, not missing any part of this rich ecosystem [skip] rich ecosystem [skip] rich ecosystem [kick]...You keep harping on about like a broken record. The bulk of computer illiterate Windows users need a browser and en email client.

Looks at thread title, sees Windows in it, sees nothing about the lovefest of Linux, looks at poster and wonders why he does not get it......... Windows is still the best PC OS out there, period.

And this is solely through MS:s years of effort to kill the competition so consumers now have no options. Fuck them.

And this is solely through MS:s years of effort to kill the competition so consumers now have no options. Fuck them.

Linux had a chance to change the gaming landscape with VR and failed miserably. Pretty much not a soul even in a place like this had a PC VR three years ago, right as Windows 10 was on its way to do all the harm you claim.

Three years later, who in this gaming forum with many VR users is running VR under Linux?

You can't keep blaming the past for all the failings of the future.

Linux had a chance to change the gaming landscape with VR and failed miserably. Pretty much not a soul even in a place like this had a PC VR three years ago, right as Windows 10 was on its way to do all the harm you claim.

Three years later, who in this gaming forum with many VR users is running VR under Linux?

You can't keep blaming the past for all the failings of the future.

You know very well that once a platform has gained a dominant market position, all the competition is going to suffer from it due to having too low a user base for it to be profitable for developers. This is exactly the reason why so many people are forced to use WIndows and why Bill Gates scheamed early in the business to block competing products, not because Windows would be somehow better.

It's all intentional and works perfectly for them. Unfortunately it works against consumers benefits as the corporation owns the users now without competition.

All this BS with Windows 10 is a direct result of an unhealthy market situation where one player can exploit the consumers as they wish knowing that many people have no choice but to use it due to a homogenous software ecosystem.

I feel deep disdain towards people like you who defend this sick and twisted situation.

Linus Torvalds was asked the question years ago (during that infamous "Nvidia, FUCK YOU!" moment) where he was asked plain and simple: Why hasn't Linux, a free OS, been able to get anywhere in the "market" of computer operating systems, aka why hasn't Linux been successful as a Desktop OS?

His answer was basically that consumers, end-users, typical people just don't want to have to install a computer operating system - they want it on the machine ready to go when they buy it and that's that, and that is the reason Linux has not been successful to any noticeable degrees since it will never ever ever see it being installed on a major OEM of personal computers. He points out that the reason "Linux" is so successful with Android and smartphones and tablets is again the fact that it's already installed on the device when the consumer/end-user purchases it. If people bought flagship Android smartphones and had to install the OS themselves, Apple would be running the world of smartphones and you damned well know it.

Linus doesn't sit around bashing Windows or macOS, sure would be nice to see other people take that track someday.

But anyway, this is yet another thread on its way to lockdown, just wanted to get this point in before it happens. :p

I feel deep disdain towards people like you who defend this sick and twisted situation.

Last summer I put in a boot drive for Ubuntu 17.04 in essentially my current sig rig for VR and disdain I got for that was near insane. I actually went out of my way to do something and got slammed the fuck for it by folks like you. Feel all the disdain you want, I know how this works.

Bear in mind that I'm not specifically talking about Linux.

I'm talking about a certain users need to repeat [skip] repeat [skip] repeat [skip] repeat [kick]....The same thing in every thread on literally 'anything'. Even a thread on Linux in the other operating systems forum. I know it drives others crazy also, even Windows users.

This whole ecosystem argument is based entirely on how someone uses their PC, it's irrelevant using it as a point of argument in every single thread on anything. All operating systems have ecosystems, how rich that ecosystem is depends on how the user intends to use their PC. You cannot argue what operating system is suitable for the bulk of users out there for this very reason, as what's important to you may very well not be even the slightest consideration for them.

If someone wants an OS free from the constant threat of malware and isn't really interested in AAA gaming and VR than Windows may not be the most suitable OS for them. That's a decision for them to make.

Stop this users crusade regarding Windows, stop the arguments and thread injections.

Every thread in this sub forum.

Person 1- I have this problem with Windows 10.
Person 2- You should just use 7.
Person 3- Solution to the problem.
Person 1- It worked! Thanks person 3.
Person 4- Use Linux so you aren’t a slave to Microsoft.
Person 5- You can’t game on Linux.
Person 6- You are approaching it the wrong way. If you try and act like Linux is Windows, you are doing it wrong.
Person 5- What does that have to do with anything? I just want to play games. Windows 10 sucks but I have to use it because my games support it.
Person 4- Everyone here is sheep. I use Linux for everything.
Person 7- VR doesn’t work in Linux
Person 8- How about Windows 10 LTSB
Person 9- If you use LTSB you are a criminal. Nobody has access to it and it should only be used on vending machines and ATMs.
Person 10- LTSB works fine for me.
Person 4- Nobody has mentioned Linux in at least 4 posts, so here I am.
Person 11- [15 paragraphs about Linux that literally NOBODY will read].

like how people feel about people that inject Linux into windows threads...
You must mean heatlessun because he was the first one to include linux in the discussion :D

All I did was to point that all these problems are caused by consumer ignorance. They should vote with their feet and use alternatives.

Every thread in this sub forum.

Person 1- I have this problem with Windows 10.
Person 2- You should just use 7.
Person 3- Solution to the problem.
Person 1- It worked! Thanks person 3.
Person 4- Use Linux so you aren’t a slave to Microsoft.
Person 5- You can’t game on Linux.
Person 6- You are approaching it the wrong way. If you try and act like Linux is Windows, you are doing it wrong.
Person 5- What does that have to do with anything? I just want to play games. Windows 10 sucks but I have to use it because my games support it.
Person 4- Everyone here is sheep. I use Linux for everything.
Person 7- VR doesn’t work in Linux
Person 8- How about Windows 10 LTSB
Person 9- If you use LTSB you are a criminal. Nobody has access to it and it should only be used on vending machines and ATMs.
Person 10- LTSB works fine for me.
Person 4- Nobody has mentioned Linux in at least 4 posts, so here I am.
Person 11- [15 paragraphs about Linux that literally NOBODY will read].

And at the end of the day, who cares what you use.

The issue is the need for certain individuals to force their opinions on others, Windows users and Linux users alike. What works for you, won't necessarily work for someone else and it's pointless forging on with the same pointless crusade when people know only too well where you stand. Essentially, we get it, you don't need to sell us any operating system and we don't want to listen to your repetitive misinformation.

Windows users and Linux users alike.

Back