Windows 10 Anniversary Update – Heaven for Power Users

I updated all 4 of my machines (and my VM) and have no issues so far.
2 of my machines were clean Windows 10 installs and the other 2 were Windows 7 upgrades.
The Windows 7 on both of them were installed in August of 2009 and they have had no issues at all over the past 7 years, and both installs had complete hardware upgrades over the years with no issues.

I already have virtual desktops in Win8.1. Never use them anyway. But SYSINTERNALS put out a free virtual desktop app years ago if anyone wants virtual desktops on Win7 or 8.

It's funny how all you old timers hate 10, while my Nephew has wanted to ditch his Mac for a windows box for about a year.

rezerekted, I remember some tool maker having Virtual desktops for Windows 9x. Can't remember who made it.

I like it, but I have a random/annoying issue. If I reboot a few times in a row, I get a small section of my screen that displays desktop, the other 3 quarters are black and requires me numerous times to open and close the lid to get it to display properly.

Oh yes, sure, "heaven" for power users:

57b2ceef87059_ActionCentermessages.jpg.d4f8fb81c40f0baf3c72b2b71c6c7324.jpg

... so long as the definition of a power user is someone who only uses MS' awful default applications. Otherwise, Windows 10 AU will exert its "power user" abilities to force you back into using MS apps.

Windows 10 has less useful functionality than Windows 7, is hella less stable than Windows 7, is less user-friendly than Windows 7, offers a PC admin less control than Windows 7, is more invasive than Windows 7, has in-OS ads which Windows 7 doesn't, and constantly resets customized file-associations to force people into using MS applications, which Windows 7 doesn't do. Also, Win 10 is littered with "bugs" that are intentional, to keep people using MS services - things like issues with changing default apps away from MS ones.

If a person wants to be a power user, and is running Windows 10, they're using the wrong OS.

FUD dude but, most folks around here now that anyways. The thing you are showing is obviously an upgrade issue, one I have ran into myself. Once you set it up again, you never see it again. The other things you said are nothing more than opinions but, that is cool, keep on keeping on.

Installed it on my laptop to test...no issues I've seen yet. But, I only use it one hour a day on my lunch break to watch Netflix. I doubt I use it enough to find any actual issues.

I'm scared to put it on my gaming rig. I suppose I could put it on my HTPC...that gets used enough.

Last edited by a moderator:
Installed it on my laptop to test...no issues I've seen yet. But, I only use it one hour a day on my lunch break to watch Netflix. I doubt I use it enough to find any actual issues.

I'm scared to put it on my gaming laptop. I suppose I could put it on my HTPC...that gets used enough.

I personally would not install any OS other then the original on a gaming laptop. That is unless the laptop has only a discrete AMD or Nvidia graphics card and not that switchable graphics stuff. I have found that usually, the laptop OEM will usually not update it's drivers and Nvidia and AMD both will not release new drivers that work with the switchable graphics. (Intel too.)

Nope, it's not an update issue. And even if it were, it validates the criticism, because that should NOT be happening. These default app resets happened after I did a clean installation of the AU, and then installed my apps, and changed my app settings. There was no further update applied after I had everything set up, and before Win 10 reset my app defaults.

It's not FUD to mention that Windows 10 is an inferior OS to Windows 7 when it comes to control, stability, and privacy. That's just reality.

Thanks for the laugh dude, I appreciate it very much. :D Clearly, you believe what you are going to believe, enjoy. Me, I will like to updates to the interface and so far, I just deal with the fact that things sometimes happen and you need to fix them. (Yes, even in Windows 7, things happen and you need to fix them.)

That is all I guess, just use what you want. :)

I personally would not install any OS other then the original on a gaming laptop. That is unless the laptop has only a discrete AMD or Nvidia graphics card and not that switchable graphics stuff. I have found that usually, the laptop OEM will usually not update it's drivers and Nvidia and AMD both will not release new drivers that work with the switchable graphics. (Intel too.)
WTF was I thinking. I don't have a gaming laptop...I meant gaming rig.

Weird fucking morning for me apparently...

WTF was I thinking. I don't have a gaming laptop...I meant gaming rig.

Weird fucking morning for me apparently...

Ah, all is cool. :D Yeah, if you do upgrade, I think you will be fine. However, if you have an Nvidia card, make sure you disable the game dvr in the XBox app after everything is installed. From what I am reading, it is causing stutters in some games with Nvidia cards with the newest Anniversary update. (I am sure they will be releasing a driver to fix the issue though.) It is turned on but it is not recording anything, it is just simply on.

Ah, all is cool. :D Yeah, if you do upgrade, I think you will be fine. However, if you have an Nvidia card, make sure you disable the game dvr in the XBox app after everything is installed. From what I am reading, it is causing stutters in some games with Nvidia cards with the newest Anniversary update. (I am sure they will be releasing a driver to fix the issue though.) It is turned on but it is not recording anything, it is just simply on.
And I bet you defend that practice, too?

Why is that okay? Did I ask for that shit? No. Do I want it on, recording or not? No.

Fucking shit, MS pisses me off more and more every fucking day.

And I bet you defend that practice, too?

Why is that okay? Did I ask for that shit? No. Do I want it on, recording or not? No.

Fucking shit, MS pisses me off more and more every fucking day.

Dude, chill the hell out before you blow a fuse. ;) :D The game dvr is turned on but there is no recording of any kind occurring. It appears to be a driver and overlay issue that is causing the stuttering. Just giving you a heads up if you decide to do the upgrade, otherwise, carry on.

Dude, chill the hell out before you blow a fuse. ;) :D The game dvr is turned on but there is no recording of any kind occurring. It appears to be a driver and overlay issue that is causing the stuttering. Just giving you a heads up if you decide to do the upgrade, otherwise, carry on.

How is excusable to turn ANYTHING on that I didn't explicitly turn on, recording or not?

How is excusable to turn ANYTHING on that I didn't explicitly turn on, recording or not?

Dude, once again, chill the hell out already. :D I gave you a heads up and a fix if you have a problem. Oh well, next time, I will just let you deal with it without any help, carry on.

Because MS knows that you want it. :)

They can do what they want like lie about what the updates do and so on. Nothing we can do about it.
Need it for gaming so I use it......

Because new things would then have a nag screen that would pop up telling you that they exist and then that would irritate people. At some point someone has to decide what features are on or off be default and where would that line be drawn? A custom install dialog would be the best in my opinion but it could end up being pages of toggle switches.

Personally I like the recording, doesn't make the pc run any different and I like being able to record my last bit for when something fun happens. I really liked the feature xbox record that from my console. Without it showing up when I launch a game for a few seconds I likely wouldn't have known it existed.

You're still not answering my question. How is that acceptable? I know you're a 10 poster child, so explain to me how its okay.

I really could not care less about your question. I alerted you to a potential issue, let you know the solution and that was it. I will not make the same mistake of offering you a heads up in the future or a solution, enjoy. :)

The game dvr is turned on but there is no recording of any kind occurring.

The problem with this is that - anything that is executing and exists in a computer's memory can become a target for malicious code.
We get security patches, but in the real world no single patch solves all problems a piece of software may have.

Game DVR is a piece of software that is aware of the overlay, can read what's happening in the video overlay or the GPU framebuffer.
For people who are conscious about security (tin foil hats and also admins required to lock down their stuff by law) this is a problem.

Even if the dvr feature is not explicitely enabled by the user, it can become enabled by a bug, vulnerability, accidental hot-key, accidental voice command, or malicious code.
No program is perfect and 100% secure, so it used to be common practice to unload and disable unneeded (especially network-aware) services both in servers (Win and Linux) and in desktops.

System Restore sounds like a must have, but you start to look at it differently after you get to fix some virus ridden old XP machine.

I'm scared to put it on my gaming rig. I suppose I could put it on my HTPC...that gets used enough.
Just take an image of your boot drive. If there's a problem, you can always go back....probably better to do that on your HTPC, since apps don't change much on it (more than likely).

I'd be a guinea pig, but MS has decided I don't need the AU on my desktop and I don't feel like d/l the image, burning it to a dvd and doing an upgrade.

Absolutely none of those "features" is appealing to me, and I certainly don't see how any of those things apply to "power users". It's just crap MS decided to change in the OS and force on everyone whether they want it or not.

They went out of their way to break Windows Media Center again. They really seem to want it dead in Windows 10.

I'd be a guinea pig, but MS has decided I don't need the AU on my desktop and I don't feel like d/l the image, burning it to a dvd and doing an upgrade.
You don't need to. I'll have to find it, but there is a page on MS site that will basically force windows update to see the update and do it normally. That's how I got it.

FUD dude but, most folks around here now that anyways. The thing you are showing is obviously an upgrade issue, one I have ran into myself. Once you set it up again, you never see it again. The other things you said are nothing more than opinions but, that is cool, keep on keeping on.
So it must have been a lucid dream when it happened to me. Thanks for telling me. It's not like it happening once is OK. This should never happen. But it does.

So it must have been a lucid dream when it happened to me. Thanks for telling me. It's not like it happening once is OK. This should never happen. But it does.

Dude, bugs happen, unfortunately and that is just the way it is. It happened to me as well but it took all of 2 minutes to fix everything again. Hey, cars should never break down but it happens and we just have to deal with it.

You don't need to. I'll have to find it, but there is a page on MS site that will basically force windows update to see the update and do it normally. That's how I got it.
Hmm. I saw a post Steve made, but it didn't work for me. Then again, all it said was go to windows update and click on search for updates.

Nothing he said would exclude you from seeing it. He's describing some sort of bug in the AU install and, as I recall, provided a work around (which means it probably happened to him and since he provided ths info, he thinks it could happen to the person he replied to.

Why is this controversial? There's no non-trivial consumer software that's 100% bug free. All of the vertical software I use has tons of bugs that the vendor refuses to fix. most often they'll reply, works as designed (so it's crap, but they intended it to be crap). At least MS tends to fix most bugs.

I can remember quicken having bugs that persisted for 10 years of upgrades (maybe more).

Getting real tired of the Heatlessun/nilepez/ManofGod Windows 10 spam.

Microsoft, stop with the astroturfing and fix your damn products. Windows update is still hanging for hours on clean 7 installs.

Dude, bugs happen, unfortunately and that is just the way it is. It happened to me as well but it took all of 2 minutes to fix everything again. Hey, cars should never break down but it happens and we just have to deal with it.
I think resetting apps to their MS defaults is more a feature than a bug. It didn't just happen with the AU, it happened before.

The GameDVR doesn't record my Diablo 3 in Full screen windowed mode. I don't think it knows that there is a game being played as it says to start playing a game and try recording again.

Oh, and I am on my PC over 12 hours a day, every day, and have no issues with Win10 AU

Getting real tired of the Heatlessun/nilepez/ManofGod Windows 10 spam.

Microsoft, stop with the astroturfing and fix your damn products. Windows update is still hanging for hours on clean 7 installs.

Meaning: Getting really tired of people not hating what I hate! ;) Dude, I offer solutions to issues if I know about them, you over gripeiing. Guess which one seems to enjoy computers more? Oh well, carry on, I guess.

If you weren't so condescending in your posts then people wouldn't get so riled up.

Meaning: Getting really tired of people not hating what I hate! ;) Dude, I offer solutions to issues if I know about them, you over gripeiing. Guess which one seems to enjoy computers more? Oh well, carry on, I guess.
Solutions? So MS is going to get rid of all the bloatware, stop lying about what the updates do, and stop pestering people about upgrading?
That would be nice!

Wow, just wow. What is with all the hate. Are you guys getting PM's from this person pestering you to upgrade to Windows 10 or the AU patch? Just because his delivery isn't exactly in your wheel house you are treating him like shit. In this thread, he said there was a problem and how to potentially resolve it. Who cares if he supports whatever the fuck OS he wants to, it isn't forcing you to take his advice or use the totally evil spying lying cheating world destroying puppy killing kitten raping Windows 10. If it is so bad that it causes you this much pain to use it, make your own OS. Use a different one. Just as a person walking by this thread, it is like if someone offered you a drink and that drink isn't your preferred you would bust him in the mouth for offering you a drink you don't like.

Back