Windows 10 and torrenting?

Copyright

Supreme [H]ardness
Someone I work with mentioned to me that he heard to avoid windows 10 when torrenting and that MS watches the torrents.. any truth to this?

Not sure of the validity but I have read a story or two that say that's the case.

Yes. Microsoft opened up an entire department to watch the 110,000,000 computers running Windows 10 because they care about what you download and the methods you use to download whatever you are downloading.

Besides, if you aren't using a proxy/vpn you are doing it wrong in the first place anyways.

Windows 10 also enables the hidden camera built into every monitor since 2003 so they can watch you touch yourself.

Last edited:
I would be more worried about your ISP watching you torrenting than your OS, even if it is Windows 10, and as we all know, i am very much against Windows 10 and their "involvement" in your usage with in the OS.

I don't know about torrenting but I read an article a few years ago that claimed Microsoft helps law enforcement capture pedos by identifying known bad media files. How can Microsoft do that if there is no spying going on?

I've also read an article that claimed AV companies audit your PC while they are checking for viruses too.

<shrug>

Someone I work with mentioned to me that he heard to avoid windows 10 when torrenting and that MS watches the torrents.. any truth to this?
Some of the torrent sites expressed some paranoia over their perceived data collection habits of Windows 10, so they were supposed to "block" clients using it. I don't know if that ever happened.

I don't know about torrenting but I read an article a few years ago that claimed Microsoft helps law enforcement capture pedos by identifying known bad media files. How can Microsoft do that if there is no spying going on?

I've also read an article that claimed AV companies audit your PC while they are checking for viruses too.

<shrug>

I would not put it past them, people will claim i am a tin foil hat wearer, but really with comm's being encrypted we wont ever know what goes out from our computers now a days...Not sure why so many people have faith in big companies giving 2 sh*t's about our privacy.

Yes. Microsoft opened up an entire department to watch the 110,000,000 computers running Windows 10 because they care about what you download and the methods you use to download whatever you are downloading.

Besides, if you aren't using a proxy/vpn you are doing it wrong in the first place anyways.

I fking knew it! .. all stupid jokes aside.. it is something I read and others have also read apparently.. and of course VPN is used. I just asked a simple question and would appreciate a real answer. If there is any issues with windows 10 and torrents I would like to know is all.

Some of the torrent sites expressed some paranoia over their perceived data collection habits of Windows 10, so they were supposed to "block" clients using it. I don't know if that ever happened.

That is something I read also. I never know what to believe which is why I ask the forum and wait for someone to provide useful feedback. The smart ass comments are always a given lol.

I fking knew it! .. all stupid jokes aside.. it is something I read and others have also read apparently.. and of course VPN is used. I just asked a simple question and would appreciate a real answer. If there is any issues with windows 10 and torrents I would like to know is all.

Sorry. It just feels like this subforum has completely gone to shit with tinfoil hat wearing conspiracy nuts, so when questions are brought up like this it makes me think its just flaimbait. Microsoft does not track your torrenting.

That is something I read also. I never know what to believe which is why I ask the forum and wait for someone to provide useful feedback. The smart ass comments are always a given lol.

To be fair, your username and question go together so well.

Microsoft and the gubermint track a lot more than people think they do, but care a lot less about what it is you are actually doing.

Microsoft and the gubermint track a lot more than people think they do, but care a lot less about what it is you are actually doing.

Ah, with big data... They really don't care, until they do.

With free linux and the ability to run it live from USB or whatever, why would anyone ever torrent using Windows?

Sorry. It just feels like this subforum has completely gone to shit with tinfoil hat wearing conspiracy nuts, so when questions are brought up like this it makes me think its just flaimbait. Microsoft does not track your torrenting.

I just love when other believe everything the companies say because they are so concerned about your needs and requirements... :rolleyes:

I just love when other believe everything the companies say because they are so concerned about your needs and requirements... :rolleyes:

Fair enough. But how are anonymous people on the Internet and blogs looking for clicks to generate ad revenue any better?

Fair enough. But how are anonymous people on the Internet and blogs looking for clicks to generate ad revenue any better?

They're not, honestly. I had thought of this on my own (I've never seen an article talking about it).

There was a post several above that pointed out the obvious and that I've pointed out to you before in other threads. Microsoft is not being totally transparent about what's in the telemetry data. I don't mean their touchy-feely marketing spin of "just stuff to make the OS better." I mean real, transparent data. Ports, connection frequencies, descriptions of the packets and their payloads. *REAL* data.

Until they do that we're going to continue seeing "paranoid" concern over things and rightly so. Microsoft *already* has boilerplate language in the mandatory EULA for Windows 10 that states that they will "comply with law enforcement" when it comes to turning over your data.

They're not, honestly. I had thought of this on my own (I've never seen an article talking about it).

There was a post several above that pointed out the obvious and that I've pointed out to you before in other threads. Microsoft is not being totally transparent about what's in the telemetry data. I don't mean their touchy-feely marketing spin of "just stuff to make the OS better." I mean real, transparent data. Ports, connection frequencies, descriptions of the packets and their payloads. *REAL* data.

Until they do that we're going to continue seeing "paranoid" concern over things and rightly so. Microsoft *already* has boilerplate language in the mandatory EULA for Windows 10 that states that they will "comply with law enforcement" when it comes to turning over your data.

Here's the thing. Who where has ever developed and supported software and said to themselves, "I need less information."? Unless it was a joke, never.

I get the privacy concerns. But this isn't just about privacy. We want faster, cheaper, better and more for less. And we want it yesterday. It's hard to imagine processes to get there that use less information rather than more.

I'm not saying trust Microsoft and I can see why one would want all of the details on this. I can also see why maybe Microsoft would want to disclose how to hack all of this and let competitors know how it's leveraging data. But yeah, there is a lot of paranoia behind this and a lot of people that apparently were living under a rock as Microsoft has talked about its use of telemetry for many years now.

Sure this data can be used and abused. I work at a mega bank and collect tons of data and use it to feed thousands of applications and processes. While of course this data could be compromised or abused, we're not collecting it and processing it to invade privacy or profit from selling it because that would like put us out of business. We want it to make good decisions and to understand our business. It's really that simple.

I think if some people just took a moment to think about it, it's not always as nefarious as some bloggers want to make it out to be. Again, not saying there aren't issues. Not saying that this couldn't be handled better. But if people think that there's no business purpose behind this and that's just some scheme to sell them out the government, they really need to work in a data driven business for a while.

Humans built computing devices to solve problems and the only way that works is if they data. I get the privacy concerns but this isn't just about privacy. There's not an industry in the modern world that isn't collecting more and more data with increasing sophisticated tools to analyze and solve problems. Ironically, one the most popular tools for going this is the open source project Hadoop.

Why does MS need to scan the contents of my OneDrive, any content uploaded, to provide me with a better service, which i do not even want? Opt in and Opt out, but when i Opt out, i truly mean opt out.. no "sort of opting out but not really" stuff.

You make valid points but time and time again it isbeing shown these companies can not keep our data safe and are using it to profit...you don't give away a free OS unless you plan to make money from something with in it..

Why does MS need to scan the contents of my OneDrive, any content uploaded, to provide me with a better service, which i do not even want? Opt in and Opt out, but when i Opt out, i truly mean opt out.. no "sort of opting out but not really" stuff.

You make valid points but time and time again it isbeing shown these companies can not keep our data safe and are using it to profit...you don't give away a free OS unless you plan to make money from something with in it..

Clearly people want OneDrive or they wouldn't be using it. Now how do you expect MS to improve OneDrive service if they have no ideas if people are using it for 5GB CAD files of dildos or 70K cat photos?

Desktop Linux is free. And that's because of the goodness of the hearts of some people, so some would say.

but I also get the source to Linux. Let's see Microsoft do the same before you start going on with false equivalency. :rolleyes:

but I also get the source to Linux. Let's see Microsoft do the same before you start going on with false equivalency. :rolleyes:

Linux is used in a lot of instances where you don't get source code. Check out IBM's use of it for Netezza for instance.

Linux is used in a lot of instances where you don't get source code. Check out IBM's use of it for Netezza for instance.

Not true. They use RHEL under the hood (Netezza just sits on top of Linux) and Red Hat supplies all of their sources for Linux on their FTP.

Anyone who makes or supports statements like these -

- if you don't do anything illegal, why do you care
- they don't really care about you, its just to catch the bad guys
- everybody else does it too

Is an idiot, a liar, naive, or all 3.

Sadly there's very little an ordinary citizen can do about any of this, when its done by our govt and corporations who control everything we have access to. But its amazing how many people are stupid enough to believe this and then accuse others of wearing tinfoil hats.

'They don't care, until they do' is scarily true. The whole point of data collection is to be able to target anyone for any reason at any time they please.

Not true. They use RHEL under the hood (Netezza just sits on top of Linux) and Red Hat supplies all of their sources for Linux on their FTP.

I stand corrected. I do a lot of application development against Netezza so I know the engine well but I did misunderstand how the host work. However, the blades are extremely proprietary.

Why does MS need to scan the contents of my OneDrive, any content uploaded, to provide me with a better service, which i do not even want?

Cortana indexing.

- if you don't do anything illegal, why do you care

I'm not doing anything illegal. That's why I care.

Even if they do track your torrenting, they cannot do anything about it. Or, rather - they won't. If they did, they'd lose the battle. They have stressed so many times that the data is anonymous. If Microsoft tracks you and what you're torrenting and you get caught - you'd be covered by the EFF and many other lawyers that would be more than willing to take the case. Microsoft would be buried under privacy lawsuits. Even if they get the data, they won't do anything about it. At least, not right now, anyway.

But, a few blogs with no legitimate proof isn't enough to convince me. Give me solid proof and I'll change my mind. I can show you a dozen blogs showing the moon landing was fake, Elvis and JFK are still alive (were still alive, anyway), etc...

Why &#8216;I Have Nothing to Hide&#8217; Is the Wrong Way to Think About Surveillance

http://www.wired.com/2013/06/why-i-...is-the-wrong-way-to-think-about-surveillance/

By the way take the blinds off your windows as well so everyone can see in your house and every room, i mean if your not doing anything illegal, everyone should be able to see what your doing....

If you think privacy is unimportant for you because you have nothing to hide, you might as well say free speech is unimportant for you because you have nothing useful to say.

So I guess your train of thought it along this line:

As a social good, I think privacy is greatly overrated because privacy basically means concealment. People conceal things in order to fool other people about them. They want to appear healthier than they are, smarter, more honest and so forth." --Richard Posner, federal judge &#8212;

http://www.cnet.com/news/why-no-one-cares-about-privacy-anymore/

By the way take the blinds off your windows as well so everyone can see in your house and every room, i mean if your not doing anything illegal, everyone should be able to see what your doing....

Everyone has something they want to keep to themselves. The ironic thing to me about this privacy debate is that in my 47 years what I've tended to observe is that the secrets that we really want to keep, the ones that really wreck lives, at least in a relatively free society, aren't the ones that we keep from governments or corporations, but from those closest to us. The Ashely Madison hack last year is a perfect example.

Like virtually all revolutionary technology that humans have created, we are now living in a time where we beginning to see and feel the negative and unintended consequences of the Information Age. We've built billions of computing devices connected in real time storing limitless bytes of data being used by ever most sophisticated algorithms. Personal data has always been a part of that but as the technology has advanced it's become easier and easier to acquire personal information without direct consent.

And it's like oil, nuclear fission or antibiotics or whatever. We're not going to stop using them because some people don't like it while many others, including those who say they don't like it, enjoy the benefits.

Windows 10 also enables the hidden camera built into every monitor since 2003 so they can watch you touch yourself.

Truth. Rent-A-Center has been doing this with their rental PCs before it was even fashionable to do so. :p

Like virtually all revolutionary technology that humans have created, we are now living in a time where we beginning to see and feel the negative and unintended consequences of the Information Age. We've built billions of computing devices connected in real time storing limitless bytes of data being used by ever most sophisticated algorithms. Personal data has always been a part of that but as the technology has advanced it's become easier and easier to acquire personal information without direct consent.

Our secrets are no longer personal. That's the scary part. A lot of people willingly share those secrets (Facebook, Twitter, whatever). But, like Ashley Madison, many aren't that public... Until they are. We aren't in control of our secrets once they are online in what we only perceive as private...

Truth. Rent-A-Center has been doing this with their rental PCs before it was even fashionable to do so. :p

Off topic, but does anyone know the disposal process of places like this for personal data (laptops, desktops that are returned)? I know Best Buy has resold products with personal data on them. But, do they have a real process for destroying data without taking a good look at nudes first?

dont think they're going to track everything you do inc. torrenting.. just turn everything off

Back