windows 10 and running programs in VMs

AnIgnorantPerson

Limp Gawd
I have never used VMs before. I need to run some programs that won't run on Windows 10 like netlimiter. How do I do this?

You install the VM software of choice, such as VMWare Player, and then use the .iso of the OS you need, maybe Windows 7, etc. It's a very simple wizard that walks you through setting up the VM. Then, you treat it as a separate computer.

You install the VM software of choice, such as VMWare Player, and then use the .iso of the OS you need, maybe Windows 7, etc. It's a very simple wizard that walks you through setting up the VM. Then, you treat it as a separate computer.
how does that make netlimiter work in Windows 10? Someone said earlier on this form I can run netlimter in VM so I dont have to use the newer version. That doesn't sound like it would work

Also i thought with Windows 8 Pro+ it had a built-in VM for running extra instances of windows.

The VM acts as a separate computer. You can install and run whatever you want inside the VM. For example, if it was running Windows 7, you'd be able to install anything you want on Windows 7.

The virtualization software will be like a container that can take any OS you throw at it. It is very powerful indeed. If you have good enough hardware, you will be able to run other versions of windows, as well as linux, other distros of linux MacOS, Unix...etc. It is like having a physical machine that you can divide into sub-machines for each sub-machine to run its own different OS. If your goal is only to find a way to run a program that isn't compatible with your main OS, but compatible with others then this can help you. If you want to run this program natively in your main physical machine OS (Windows 10 in your case), then that's different. However, compatibility mode might help.

Yea I own and like net limiter 3. I really loathe netlimter 4.

I dont get how a windows 7 program cant run on 10. Can any of you explain that?

Win32 isn't fully backwards compatible, quite often the application is patched to run under the new OS. Not at all uncommon on accounting packages.

Also not uncommon where software bypases the translation layer.

Yea I own and like net limiter 3. I really loathe netlimter 4.

I dont get how a windows 7 program cant run on 10. Can any of you explain that?

Because it's likely not compatible with the network stack. If you want to run netlimiter 3, what you end up doing is running a Windows 7 VM as a separate instance inside of Windows 10 and netlimiter only works on the VM. If you want to run netlimiter on Windows 10, you need to use the newer version.

I'm not sure if an application like this would run on a VM and control resources on the host system. Are you on a metered connection? If not, there's very little to no reason to need something like this.

You'd need to put it in a VM, as above, and you'd need to route all internet traffic through that VM.

The first part is absurdly easy- the second part I know that you can do, but it's not something I've done myself yet, and definitely not with Windows.

You'd need to put it in a VM, as above, and you'd need to route all internet traffic through that VM.

The first part is absurdly easy- the second part I know that you can do, but it's not something I've done myself yet, and definitely not with Windows.

And probably not something I'd recommend with the way Windows 10 likes to restart your computer whenever MS feels it's time to push an update.

And probably not something I'd recommend with the way Windows 10 likes to restart your computer whenever MS feels it's time to push an update.

Less of a problem if you do it with Hyper-V, but I agree that's still a concern. For anything network related that can affect internet availability for the domain, best advice is to get a dedicated physical system to host those services separately. It can be a potato in most cases, doing high-bandwidth NGFF stuff like IPS being a common notable exception, with most everything else being happy to run on something like a Pi.

Best solution is to run Windows in a VM using something more reliable like OSX or linux.

Back