Windows 10 AMD Athlon 64 x2 4400+

BlackDragon1971

Limp Gawd
Found out my old hardware is not comppatble with Windows 10. Was throwing together a AMD Athlon 64 x2 4400+ on an Asus A8v Deluxe 3 gigs Corsair XMS Pro LED and POS 120 gig 2.5" SATA drive. Just wanted to test the hardware as I hadn't run it in several months.

I know I beta tested Win 8 Pro before release with the core of the hardware. I guess with Windows 8.1, Microsoft did not support a few older processors that used to meet requirements of Windows 8. .. SUCKS for building that box. Keeping it to Win 7 Ultimate x64 for now

Anyone know the lowest level of x64 Proc of both Intel (which I use now) and AMD that meets the requirements and runs Win 8.1 and Win 10? I figure the P4 HT 3.0Ghz Northwood and Asus P4C800-E Deluxe (x86) I have as shelved parts may have issues too. The issue I had was it not being able to Execute the "CompareExchange 128" process/ instruction. I suspect it is either a subset of SSE2 instructions or being able to remap over 4 gigs of memory...not entirely sure. I wonder if running x86 Wndows 10 will work. But that is like a lobotomy for a x64 proc.

BlackDragon

Just install the 32 bit version. That processor and motherboard are dinosaurs, there is not much there to lobotomize by skipping the x64 version.

Also this could be a motherboard issue and not just a CPU issue (X2s don't support Win 8.1 x64 either). You need a CPU and motherboard that both support the newer instructions, so you can't just use a different old processor unless the motherboard was updated as well.

Last edited:
Thanks ocellaris, kinda figured that. I haven't used the hardware in a while. I shelved most of the parts. I knew it could run Win 8 x64 BETA, as I did that during the testing period. will try the x86 version of Win 10. this is just a "Websurfer" right now, as I need a 4th 'puter ( 5th including the laptop). may throw on Unreal Tournament 2004 for a laugh on that box.

BlackDragon

I have a soft spot for those first AMD Athlon x64 cpus.

I'd been computing since the apple 2 and that was the first system I really truly put together myself. Think it was an Iwil board that was really really quirky.

To bad to see it dropped from support. The first real 64 bit consumer chips.

Too bad it took so long for x64 to get rolling. AMD was definitely looking forward... maybe a bit too far forward.

I'm surprised win 10 is supporting x32. Kinda has to I guess now that I think about it.

When do we get our first x128 consumer chip?

Actually it may be your BIOS settings. Win 8.1 and 10 need PAE, NX, and SSE2 support enabled. I know that CPU does have the NX bit and has SSE2 support, it's the PAE I'm not 100% sure about (but I'd be amazed if it didn't have support for).

Actually it may be your BIOS settings. Win 8.1 and 10 need PAE, NX, and SSE2 support enabled. I know that CPU does have the NX bit and has SSE2 support, it's the PAE I'm not 100% sure about (but I'd be amazed if it didn't have support for).

All K8 CPUs support PAE.

In Memory Configuration> Hardware Memory hole was Disabled, but Enabling did not solve the Problem. Going to try the x86 version of Win 10

Well Win 10 x86 is installed on the Websurfer box. All RAID Controllers are seen (incl the Syba SATA II hardware 4 Port Raid card) ... which I will switch over the 1TB OS drive to. The challenge was the Gigabyte HD4650 AGP, it uses a Propietary driver (for the PCIe to AGP Bridge chip I guess). Common ATI legacy drivers don't work on it. Had to run in Compatibility Mode for it.... CCC & . Net gave me problems, I Uninstalled everything but the Driver eventually. I may try Patching in with a version of CCC for the same series of the same PCIe card but is a little more modern. (may or may not work) I have a old ATI x1650 Pro somewhere (which may be more compatible)... but this gives me a modern Direct X and HDMI. Belkin Wireless G should work (config'd in Device Manager), as should the D-Link DGE -530T( have a non functioning onboard). Audio works it seems.
Newest Build 10041 is installed

No it was MS Windows Basic Driver from a Clean Install. I suspect, iff I did the Upgrade, everything would work. This is an OddBall ATI Based card by Gigabyte . I have found everything on an AGP Bus after the x19xx Series (maybe the HD 2000 AGP Series R600 too) use a PCIe to AGP Bridge and require specific, not Generic drivers.... my mileage anyways. This is a dinosaur after all.
I think everytime I have done a Clean Install of any Windows OS for them Windows starts with a Basic VGA Windows Driver, until I install the specific Driver. Same with the VisionTek 3450 AGP card that is here somewhere on a shelf. That is why I was saying the Old ATI x1650 Pro AGP may be more compatable
Next time I do a Wipe and OS install, I think I will try loading Win 7 Ult x86 and configure it first... then do an Upgrade to Win 10 x86. See if that is a little more of a smoother Install

Details for ocellaris's point: http://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-confirms-some-older-amd-processors-do-not-support-windows-81

Older AMD chips lack the (x86-64) CMPXCHG16b instruction. MS had been doing a software work-around up to Windows 8, but decided to drop support in 8.1. The 32-bit version doesn't have that issue, so it's the best solution if you want to try Windows 10.

The same thing is a problem for older P4 chips, which lack LAHF/SAHF instructions. MS dropped support for those chips too.

Back