Windows 10 Alternative to Photo Viewer

Does anyone have any suggestions? I want a program/app that will open a photo from explorer, will provide flip/rotate and delete options, and will shift to the next photo simply. Id like for it to have minimal UI.

The modern Photo app does all of this. It's actually a very decent viewer and simple editor.

I like Irfanview. Plug-in support, flip-rotate commands, batch resize and manipulation support, and the interface is pretty minimal, though dated (fortunately the toolbar can be skinned). A 64-bit version was just released recently, too.

Irfanview, super fast, best integrated full screen image navigator (including video clips) I know of (simply press Enter for full screen mode, use arrow keys or mouse wheel for next/previous image - no crapy buttons or navigation panel, just image and some text info, if you wish) crop, resize, rotate, batch operations, EXIF data editing (wrong date for example), simple interface but rich of options, if you dig deeper, many plugins etc.

CEO at my company uses Irfanview... Hmm, guess I will need to look more into this since others are suggesting this

The modern Photo app does all of this. It's actually a very decent viewer and simple editor.

Stock app sucks period! It times out and locks up for me when I scroll between PNG images. Dont even get me started on the photos metro app. I dont need it to organize or make albums of my pics and gaming screenshots. MS Paint is okay but it does not let you scroll the entire folder or start a slide show.

Anyone ever try these:

Nomacs
XnView
FastStone

I use XnView. I have it set so double clicking on an image opens it up on a black background in full screen on my second monitor. I also use the FastPreview shell extension that gives you a quick preview of the image by right clicking on it.

XnView I have and used it for a little while. It was decent but it never felt right to me. At the time I think the problem was it didn't have a scale option I wanted when the image was larger than the desktop but that was a few years back. Overall I prefer irfanview to most things even commercial software like ACDSee that I used a long time ago in Win XP.

Definitely Irfanview.. Been using it since XP also.. It's like the VLC of image viewers..

Just gonna copy paste my own post from "Cleaning the bloat from Windows 10"

It seems like if you do a fresh installation of windows 10 rather then upgrade, Windows Photo Viewer can't be used as default applications to view pictures and you are forced to use the Metro app "Photos". Well this safe and tested registry tweak adds the default file formats to Windows Photo Viewer so it can once again be used as default.

Copy and paste into a notepad and save it as whatevernameyoulike.reg

Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Photo Viewer\Capabilities\FileAssociations]
".bmp"="PhotoViewer.FileAssoc.Tiff"
".dib"="PhotoViewer.FileAssoc.Tiff"
".gif"="PhotoViewer.FileAssoc.Tiff"
".jfif"="PhotoViewer.FileAssoc.Tiff"
".jpe"="PhotoViewer.FileAssoc.Tiff"
".jpeg"="PhotoViewer.FileAssoc.Tiff"
".jpg"="PhotoViewer.FileAssoc.Tiff"
".jxr"="PhotoViewer.FileAssoc.Tiff"
".png"="PhotoViewer.FileAssoc.Tiff"

Stock app sucks period! It times out and locks up for me when I scroll between PNG images. Dont even get me started on the photos metro app. I dont need it to organize or make albums of my pics and gaming screenshots. MS Paint is okay but it does not let you scroll the entire folder or start a slide show.

Anyone ever try these:

Nomacs
XnView
FastStone

I've used XnViewMP, FastStone, and Irfanview. Out of the three I prefered XnViewMP which is what I use now (along with the Windows photoviewer).

I can't remember exactly why I eventually migrated to XnViewMP but I think it was some of the following (may not apply compared to newer versions of Irfanview and FastStone as this was a few years ago) -

- unicode support for filenames
- performance
- portable (no install, everything can be contained in the app folder)
- UI was customizable to what I most wanted and easy to do so (might as well give it a try because of this, no hassle, just delete the folder if you don't like it)
- 64-bit

Back