Windows 10 activating or how not to attach it to just 1 PC?

SpongeBob

The Contraceptive Under the Sea
Terrible title I know, long story short my current windows10 key that I am using I don't want it just linked to this PC For instance I'm moving most of my hardware to a new motherboard next week. I won't be using this rig anymore but I want to still use my copy of windows. I could have sworn I remember reading about linking to a micosoft email account or something? I'm not having much searching this topic as you can tell not sure how to word the question.

Terrible title I know, long story short my current windows10 key that I am using I don't want it just linked to this PC For instance I'm moving most of my hardware to a new motherboard next week. I won't be using this rig anymore but I want to still use my copy of windows. I could have sworn I remember reading about linking to a micosoft email account or something? I'm not having much searching this topic as you can tell not sure how to word the question.
retail or oem key?

After you build the new system, just re-enter the product key if it comes up as not activated (though I recommend reinstalling when you replace motherboard). If the activation fails, call Microsoft and tell them you replaced the motherboard. It's really pretty simple.

After you build the new system, just re-enter the product key if it comes up as not activated (though I recommend reinstalling when you replace motherboard). If the activation fails, call Microsoft and tell them you replaced the motherboard. It's really pretty simple.

hesrightyouknow.gif

OEM key is one use only, and tied to the device (motherboard). Retail version can be installed on one machine at a time, moved as many times as you require.

So what does this do then, or is it pointless?

HQuestion.JPG

Microsoft account makes it easier for them to tie the data they mine from your computer to your actual identity. So it helps MS business.

Reactions: Meeho
like this
I don't use that 'feature' because I don't want to sign into my PC with a Microsoft account.

Back