Windows 10 64-Bit Dethrones Windows 7 64-bit On Steam

With windows 8/10, isn't already half way there?

No. If Windows 10 breaks my computer, I can't get a new one built to its specs or similar from Microsoft free of charge.

I guess I don't see what the problem is. You can delay patches if you're using Windows 10 Pro (which is what a business PC should run). Wait a week or so and see if there are issues...hell wait longer if you need too. I can only recall one issue with an update since 10 came out and I simply did a system restore and skipped the update for a month (it was technically a new release of 10, not a security patch).

You've never worked in shipping, or for a company where everything, down to a driver install for a crucial piece of equipment you need on a daily, if not hourly basis, has to go through IT, have you?

I installed W10 enterprise ltsb. And it's still fucking terrible. It's like it's an os meant for a smartphone, made for 10 year olds, and not for professional work / enthusiasts. It looks bad, it gets on my nerves, nothing can be customized. You need to go out of your way to find functions in it. You need an array of 3rd party tools to make it borderline bearable. It's a disaster. I hate it.

Nauseating, tiresome, boiler-plate, meaningless comment about Windows 10.

Please tell me what you wanted to do that was different from Windows 7.

gQTeLct.jpg
Perfect

Not necessarily. Computers that Steam looks at are mostly home users. I'd kinda expect most businesses to be on a 64 bit OS at this point. Even at my workplace most machines are 64 bit (though in 2010/2011 most 7 installs were 32bit). You simply can't look at the overall numbers, because businesses will totally skew the numbers.
The habits of home users was kind of my point. Obviously home users can and apparently do choose to upgrade their OS, and have chosen W10 at a rate far higher than it's installed as a whole. It's strange that such a leading edge group has such a high percentage of Windows 7 32-bit systems.

Like I mentioned, on Steam the ratio between 64 and 32-bit versions of Windows 7 is about 6:1. For 8.1, it's about 40:1 64-bit vs 32-bit. For Windows 10, is roughly in the same ballpark as 8.1's ratio. Windows 7 32-bit usage ratio just seems weird by comparison.

The only thing I can think of is the ultra portables that started with Win 7. Some of those came with a low end 32 bit atom, and if steam was ever installed it would be counted.

But those were never popular, my mother in law has one and it barely plays Hulu.

I think I might finally install win10 when my new parts arrive this week.

I don't like that there wont be windows media player and other such things in it though.

I think I might finally install win10 when my new parts arrive this week.

I don't like that there wont be windows media player and other such things in it though.
Why won't it have WMP?

Nauseating, tiresome, boiler-plate, meaningless comment about Windows 10.

Please tell me what you wanted to do that was different from Windows 7.

Well first off I don't want my os saying Hi to me. It's not a person, it shouldn't try to act like one, I just wanted to use it, but noo it's patronizing me. And bear in mind that this is the enterprise ltsb version. Where the 2-bit user is never expected to install the damn os, only IT professionals. But they still felt this patronizing bullshit was neccessary, instead of getting to the point right away. Then before I was able to install even some basic drivers for my hardware, it wanted to install updates. And you get absolutely no feedback on how long it might take, or what the hell is it exactly doing. You don't even get the regular installing 5th of 10 updates. You just get, "wait, and don't you dare turn off your computer" message. Well after 5 seconds I did the only sensible thing at that point. I turned off the computer. Don't waste my time. I'll install updates when I want and after looking at a changelog. But there is actually so little oversight to the updating process even in the enterprise version that I still don't know what happened to those updates I interrupted. The worst thing is that you can't opt out of feature updates even in the enterpise version. That is pure sinister crap. I set up my computer the way I like it, but ms can push an update on me at a whim that fucks up my perfectly tuned system. And I don't mean they push a bad update (which as history shows can happen) I mean they changing behaviour or settings on my computer without my permission, or even knowledge. Like changing the default app for something, or turning features back on that I deliberately turned off. Or remove an app, that is superseeded by a "superior" one. And in this case superior means metro crap.

And then there is the thing that I can't simply change file associations. No matter what I do the window will still appear each time to choose what application I want to use when I open a new video file. Because I'm not using the almighty windows media player. This is just unprecedented major league bullshit.

The start button has no purpose. The things I used to access from the start menu in W7 are not there. Instead I get a most used apps list which would be good if it actually worked. But it lists applications that I haven't even started once. And the actual most used programs don't appear there. And I get a space for putting icons on manually. Which is redundant as hell, I put icons on my desktop or quick launch. THe apps I use very often are on quick launch, the apps I use less often but still regularly are on the desktop, and everything else I use search for, because it's quicker than actually selecting it from lists of hundreds of other applications.

And the fact that the settings for many things are spread out between the classic control panel and the new crap settings app. Literally half of the options are here, and half are there, for one single thing like the notification area/center. Apart from it being annoying It's shoddy craftmanship. This kind of crap has no place in a released product. It seems to me that a lot of the things in W10 are at placeholder level of development. They wanted to replace the control panel with the settings app, but they gave up halfway trough. And instead of going back they just left everything in disarray.

And that there is almost absolutely no customization for the look of the UI. You can change the accent color, and that's it. And even there they don't give you free reign, you can only choose from their predefined colors, oh the word would collapse if they'd allow total control over the color. I have to use third party apps and tools to make it somewhat acceptable in both behaviour and looks.

Apart from those things my only problem with it that it seems more unstable than W7. I got an IRQ not less or equal screen today, I haven't seen those since the XP days. Hooray now I can enjoy it again when windows crashes for no apparent reason and explanation.

Reactions: Nenu
like this
The only thing I can think of is the ultra portables that started with Win 7. Some of those came with a low end 32 bit atom, and if steam was ever installed it would be counted.

But those were never popular, my mother in law has one and it barely plays Hulu.

I have an 8 inch tablet, quad core atom chip, 2GB ram, originally came with Windows 8.1.
The CPU will not support Windows 10 64 bit, only choice is 32 bit.

I have an 8 inch tablet, quad core atom chip, 2GB ram, originally came with Windows 8.1.
The CPU will not support Windows 10 64 bit, only choice is 32 bit.

I was specifically talking about the win 7 32 bit numbers, there was quite a bit of those ULV type laptops released then.

It also helps that a game tends to take the whole screen, making the interaction with the OS less important. Perhaps for Steam gamers, Windows is largely a means to launch and support the game.

I'm a steam gamer and I never play a game full screen unless it can't be done with that particular game.

Well, gamers are typically a bit more savvy when it comes to computers, so they're usually first to upgrade. The general public "doesn't know about that stuff" as much, so they are slow to upgrade.

Glad to see x64 gaining a lot of ground. Not surprised, but glad.

So far, it's working great with all my emulators and HOPING it works great with some of my Steam games (arcade cabinet, wanting arcade style games - SFV, Mortal Kombat X, etc.).

Win10 has been fine for me with games. My son refuses to upgrade to Win10 from 7. His games are fine and he's spent so much time getting them modded and tweaked, he doesn't want anything to mess it up.

I find that I am having an easier time playing older games (even certain DOS ones) than I was with Win 7 (Which was terrible) and Windows 8.
Could you give me some specifics? Like what games would run on Win8 and 10 that wouldn't on 7? DOS games aren't a very good point of comparison. With DOSbox, just about any system (even Linux) can run those.

Had it not been free the numbers would be MUCH lower, had it not been forced the numbers would be much lower.

Personally I upgrade my OS when I need to or when the new OS offers something that the old one doesn't and so far, for me, Win10 doesn't offer anything I'm interested in.

It's funny that MS has made some people so wary of their products and intent that they won't even take a free OS upgrade at this point. I personally have no complaints about win10, other than a few games not working (looking at you Metro 2033/Last Light redux), but after win8, vista, and win10 spyware, I can't really blame them.
I'll gladly pay money for Windows 10 once it reaches a point that it is worth it to upgrade, just like prior versions. Just because it's free it doesn't mean people want or need it.
I guess I don't see what the problem is. You can delay patches if you're using Windows 10 Pro (which is what a business PC should run). Wait a week or so and see if there are issues...hell wait longer if you need too. I can only recall one issue with an update since 10 came out and I simply did a system restore and skipped the update for a month (it was technically a new release of 10, not a security patch).
Any self-respecting administrator would be running Enterprise in a business environment...

Phones don't have keyboards and mice, so we should get rid of them for PC's too?
They have digital keyboards, and a touchscreen. Which are used for laptop and desktops. If yu want to get rid of yours no one is stopping you.

They have digital keyboards, and a touchscreen. Which are used for laptop and desktops. If yu want to get rid of yours no one is stopping you.

You were the one that was basically telling us we should be forced on automated updates because "well... phones always have", thus by your logic, we should all have to throw away our keyboards and mice. A "digital" keyboard is not a keyboard, and a touchscreen is not a mouse... You are probably one of the programmers that made a flashlight app that has full access to our microphone and camera. ;) And now all PCs should share our private information "well... phones always have". You probably want bandwidth caps "well... phones always have". I just can't follow your illogical logic.

I installed W10 enterprise ltsb. And it's still fucking terrible. It's like it's an os meant for a smartphone, made for 10 year olds, and not for professional work / enthusiasts. It looks bad, it gets on my nerves, nothing can be customized. You need to go out of your way to find functions in it. You need an array of 3rd party tools to make it borderline bearable. It's a disaster. I hate it.

what are you honestly doing that is so radically different?

I didn't even realize Win10 had a 32-bit version...don't see any real reason for one to exist at this point.

Legacy devices support. I have a C2D laptop that has 4 (3GB) of ram and a 500GB HDD. A lot of users, myself included skipped 8/8.1, but accepted 10. The laptop can still run really basic games on steam. Now, I'm not sure why the numbers are so high on the 32 bit number, the version does need to exist.

My MotoG (1st gen) is still on KitKat.

HTC Amaze, android 4.0.3 ice cream sandwich.

You've never worked in shipping, or for a company where everything, down to a driver install for a crucial piece of equipment you need on a daily, if not hourly basis, has to go through IT, have you?

Sounds like they should be pushing updates to users through SCCM.

You were the one that was basically telling us we should be forced on automated updates because "well... phones always have", thus by your logic, we should all have to throw away our keyboards and mice. A "digital" keyboard is not a keyboard, and a touchscreen is not a mouse... You are probably one of the programmers that made a flashlight app that has full access to our microphone and camera. ;) And now all PCs should share our private information "well... phones always have". You probably want bandwidth caps "well... phones always have". I just can't follow your illogical logic.
How does software suddenly popped to mean hardware? That's a stupid leap in logic.

Not to mention the original statement was made facetiously.

Really? Cool! I kept hearing that it was removed.

Windows Media Center was removed. In fact it wasn't in Windows 8 either unless you bought it as an add-on.

Windows Media Player is still in Windows 10, with added support for MKV and FLAC files.

Reactions: DF-1
like this
Because my PC is not a fucking phone.

Smartphones are less than a decade from requiring a blood sample to function. Of course your PC is not a fucking phone. The question is why is it acceptable on the phone - a device that sucks infinitely more data about you. Why not skip both?

Windows Media Center was removed. In fact it wasn't in Windows 8 either unless you bought it as an add-on.

Windows Media Player is still in Windows 10, with added support for MKV and FLAC files.

It also has better ISO support.

Although not on-topic, I'm becoming incredibly frustrated with Microsoft's desperate attempts in forcing Windows users to upgrade. Those reminders are becoming almost daily now, they even had the nerve including one that mentioned (while I was working) my computer would restart in a few minutes and start the upgrade (WTF?) That one didn't even bother to ask my permission. I'm quickly losing respect for Microsoft this way. If I refuse to upgrade the first time, don't bother me with those annoying, useless reminders. I upgrade when I want to, thank you very much. And likely I won't upgrade at all, Windows 8.1 works perfectly for me.

Honestly, it's as if they want to annoy their customer base as much as possible. It really shows a lack of respect.

Not hard to have windows 10 be the dominant OS when you force/trick users into upgrading to it. Im sure there are plenty of people that got tricked into upgrading and instead of reinstalling windows they just keep 10 on there adding to the market share list. This is exactly what MS wanted, offer the os for free and have tricks to get people to update to it only so MS can tell investors "Look at the rapid growth of windows 10! it must be the perfect OS since so many Windows 7/8 users are moving to it!"

Although not on-topic, I'm becoming incredibly frustrated with Microsoft's desperate attempts in forcing Windows users to upgrade. Those reminders are becoming almost daily now, they even had the nerve including one that mentioned (while I was working) my computer would restart in a few minutes and start the upgrade (WTF?) That one didn't even bother to ask my permission. I'm quickly losing respect for Microsoft this way. If I refuse to upgrade the first time, don't bother me with those annoying, useless reminders. I upgrade when I want to, thank you very much. And likely I won't upgrade at all, Windows 8.1 works perfectly for me.

Honestly, it's as if they want to annoy their customer base as much as possible. It really shows a lack of respect.

Yea, Microsoft is resorting to telemarketer like tactics and IMO that just makes potential customers hate you. But there are wasy to deep six the popups so use one of them. There is a thread in the OS forum about Steve Gibson tool to do this very easily and it requires no installation. I use GWX Control Panel because it came out long before the Gibson tool.

Yea, Microsoft is resorting to telemarketer like tactics and IMO that just makes potential customers hate you. But there are wasy to deep six the popups so use one of them. There is a thread in the OS forum about Steve Gibson tool to do this very easily and it requires no installation. I use GWX Control Panel because it came out long before the Gibson tool.

GWX Control Panel works well; Never10 by Steve Gibson also works perfectly. Either way.

GRC | Never10  

Back