Windows 10 2004 Under Development, Here Are the New Features

erek

[H]F Junkie
Excited for the new features?

"The Windows 10 version 2004 Feature Update is expected to be released in the Spring of 2020 and it comes with a long list of improvements and new features.

Unlike the November 2019 Update, which was more like a service pack, Windows 10 2004 aims to bring new features and enhancements not seen in previous versions of Windows.

For those who wish to test Windows 10 2004, otherwise known as 20H1, and the various new features, you can join the Windows Insider program and install it now."

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/ne...-under-development-here-are-the-new-features/

Will I be able to turn off a majority of the telemetry so I'm not constantly pinging MS and chose which updates to install? If not, still not interested.

Edit; Oh, looks like they are adding a little power user support to updates. That's a baby step forward at least.

Looks like they're doubling down on Cortana... no thanks

Doubling down? How? It seems like they are gimping the general features of Cortana and focusing it into an existing subset of features - Cortana will remain completely optional of course. Just because they are making changes to the feature for those that actually bother to use it does not in any way mean they are "doubling down" on it.

Will I be able to turn off a majority of the telemetry so I'm not constantly pinging MS and chose which updates to install? If not, still not interested.

Edit; Oh, looks like they are adding a little power user support to updates. That's a baby step forward at least.

Even if they "let" you turn off all of the telemetry, I don't know that I'd trust it.

It's like buying a car where they market it as having a "random brake failure feature" - they say that the "feature" is turned off from the factory..... but is it really? I guess you won't know until your brakes fail and you drive over a cliff or slam into a kid.

..... and why would they make a brake failure feature to begin with? Why would anyone need that?

these are rhetorical questions of course.

I want a gamma and color control that doesn't suck with Windows 10 instead of having it reset with Nvidia every boot.

I want a gamma and color control that doesn't suck with Windows 10 instead of having it reset with Nvidia every boot.
The solution in short is to create an ICC profile with the free software QuickGamma (https://quickgamma.de/indexen.html) that includes the same settings as previously made with the NVIDIA control panel, and set this ICC profile as the windows default.

Even if they "let" you turn off all of the telemetry, I don't know that I'd trust it.

It's like buying a car where they market it as having a "random brake failure feature" - they say that the "feature" is turned off from the factory..... but is it really? I guess you won't know until your brakes fail and you drive over a cliff or slam into a kid.

..... and why would they make a brake failure feature to begin with? Why would anyone need that?

these are rhetorical questions of course.

New cars have more telemetry sent to the manufacturer than Windows sends to Microsoft. You can easily turn off the MS telemetry. Try turning it off in your car.

Your argument is bad, and you should feel bad.

New cars have more telemetry sent to the manufacturer than Windows sends to Microsoft. You can easily turn off the MS telemetry. Try turning it off in your car.

I always thought you an turn off some of it, but not all of it unless you use a 3rd party program.

I always thought you an turn off some of it, but not all of it unless you use a 3rd party program.
TMK, you don't have control over any of it and the only way to stop it would be to use illegal dummy modules. I could be wrong though, I haven't gotten too deep into it with new cars that run software.

TMK, you don't have control over any of it and the only way to stop it would be to use illegal dummy modules. I could be wrong though, I haven't gotten too deep into it with new cars that run software.

Sorry I meant to say W10, not cars.

Sorry I meant to say W10, not cars.
Ah k. Yes, you can turn off a little and you can gut it a bit more if you do enough diving, but many of those changes get silently reverted with updates; relying on third-party programs that need to be updated with each Win 10 update isn't a suitable option either, imo. The best current option is to use a custom firewall, but that can also take some work and is just a band-aid.

I wonder if anything will change with CA's consumer privacy act going active on the first.

Bad like how a Tesla in autopilot mode rear ended a parked cop car?

Back