Windows 10 19H1: All the Changes We Know So Far

I never said it was an "Unable to" scenario. I said IMO if you aren't stuck using windows, there's no reason to use it, and it's an opportunity to switch OS's.

ESPECIALLY when windows has gone downhill (my opinion having used every windows OS since 3.1).

Except in your example you gave the girl only two choices; buy new copy of Windows or Linux for free. I'm trying to ascertain why you told her she had to buy Windows when in most situations that is completely untrue.

Anytime anyone says that something took 5 minutes with a manufacturer, you know they are fibbing. Worst case scenario my ass.

When you do enough rma type calls you learn how to get around quite a bit of bullshit with many manufacturers. Not all obviously and not all the time, but often. As for the 5 minutes, sure that might be a little exaggeration, but it doesn't diminish my point that claiming an oem Windows user has to buy Windows if their hdd crashes is just flat out false.

Found 1 thing of use for this non power windows user.

• You can now uninstall several more inbox apps including:
    • 3D viewer.
    • Calculator.
    • Calendar.
    • Groove Music.
    • Mail.
    • Movies & TV.
    • Paint 3D.
    • Snip & Sketch.
    • Sticky Notes.
    • Voice Recorder.
Keep that up please.

Would be much better of they didn't include all that crap in the first place, and the ones who want it could a install it from the "store" or something like that.

As for those posts about Linux, I've used Linux since 1998 and it's been my main OS since around 2003. I still use Windows for gaming, to test software and run Windows only utilities or programs that I needneed for my work. But 99% of the time I use Manjaro.

MS has a lot to learn about a "rolling release" OS. They should stick to yearly "feature" updates and concentrate on stability and security.

So far the only problems I've had with Manjaro have been related to a new kernel release, which is really not a problem as you can boot another kernel version (eg. any of the LTS kernels) and you are back to work.

• 3D viewer.
    • Calculator.
    • Calendar.
    • Groove Music.
    • Mail.
    • Movies & TV.
    • Paint 3D.
    • Snip & Sketch.
    • Sticky Notes.
    • Voice Recorder.
Keep that up please.
That's actually a good thing now hopefully it doesn't reinstall candy crush yet again

3 clicks, as I recall, and it's gone, never to reappear. You can also turn it off on installation of the upgrade. Unlike Siri.

There's alot more than 3 clicks for it to not appear in task manager and be completly uninstalled. Turning it off at install is the same effect as disabling it within the os setting. Essentially all the apps can be disabled but having the ability to uninstall it naturally as a given choice from MS would be far better for personal preference instead of usin gpedit/reg or even third party apps.

There's alot more than 3 clicks for it to not appear in task manager and be completly uninstalled. Turning it off at install is the same effect as disabling it within the os setting. Essentially all the apps can be disabled but having the ability to uninstall it naturally as a given choice from MS would be far better for personal preference instead of usin gpedit/reg or even third party apps.

If you go into settings, you can turn Cortana all the way off. At least in the Insider version I have.

That list of items is 100% "oh shit I'm still fixing the menus I should have had done at release and I'm tacking on a toilet paper roll of useless extras to justify my continued employment"

Dangnabbit. over 20 people saw the humour and liked that silly post, and then there's you. So sorry about any perceived inconvenience my post may have caused. I have set up a counseling hotline just for you, here's the link https://www.ubuntu.com/

I was actually surprised that it took that long for someone to interject Linux into a Windows thread. Seems you are falling behind....... :D

I was actually surprised that it took that long for someone to interject Linux into a Windows thread. Seems you are falling behind....... :D
Reading is not your best skill, either that or you need to catchup before you needlessly interject.;)
I mentioned linux in post #4, get over it.

Reading is not your best skill, either that or you need to catchup before you needlessly interject.;)
I mentioned linux in post #4, get over it.

Exactly, post 4, there was already 2 posts ahead of yours, hence you are falling behind. :)

If you go into settings, you can turn Cortana all the way off. At least in the Insider version I have.
Thread lightly. Generally, people complaining about Windows (10) around here just want you to listen to them. They are not interested in solutions.
For some reason, they are not content only with taking their medications, mint or whatever. :p

OT: Regarding the previous update which is still not available in the slow ring, because of the issues, I wonder if this will actually mean changes in the market share. As Windows had ~88% for quite some time with DTs and LTs.
If not, then I'm not sure how big changes we can expect regarding the usability of either OS.

Check task manager and see if it still is present in the background. In every version it is even after you've disbled it. You have to delete it from the os inorder to prevent it from appearing as a background process.

Thread lightly. Generally, people complaining about Windows (10) around here just want you to listen to them. They are not interested in solutions.
For some reason, they are not content only with taking their medications, mint or whatever. :p

Bearing in mind that the same mindset exists in relation to Linux. ;)

But wait! There's a silver lining in the iCloud!

On top of this, there continue to be complaints that Windows 10 version 1809 doesn't work with iCloud, and machines with the iCloud client are currently blacklisted to prevent them from receiving the 1809 update. It's not immediately clear whose fault this one is—it could be Microsoft's, but it's also possible that Apple is to blame.

So even a lowly Win10 Scum Home user could just run iCloud and keep all the pesky updates away. An Apple a day etc...

So even a lowly Win10 Scum Home user could just run iCloud and keep all the pesky updates away. An Apple a day etc...

iCloud...Ugh...

My God iCloud sucks, the web interface is an abomination compared to Google Drive.

Anytime anyone says that something took 5 minutes with a manufacturer, you know they are fibbing. Worst case scenario my ass.

Activating a Microsoft license through the phone takes way more time than that, and that's talking with the damn robot!

I personally want Microsoft to change, but they are the ones not interested in solutions, not me. I actually have to come up with them all the time. I've done tons of tweaks to all Windows versions, but Windows 7 - hell, even Windows 8 - were the lowest point in my experience for the amount of tweaks needed in order to have a nice install.

Windows 10 started out quite OK, but then not only it spiraled out of control, they purposefully change things to make previous methods of doing changes obsolete, so every time a massive update drops, there you go again, chasing your tail.

We who have more intimacy with PCs always resort to the "don't complain, just tweak it!" mantra, but when you realize you're spending a lot more time tweaking things than you used to, and there's no reason for that AT ALL, something is wrong, and it's not on the user side. That, coupled with the ever-increasing reliance and promotion of cloud services, suggest that Microsoft doesn't care about what I need from a computer anymore.

If it still works for some, more power to them! Still, things are changing, and by now it's becoming clear that it's not a matter of feedback: it's plain old strategy. Thus, whoever isn't satisfied is better off researching alternatives, because they are not backing down.

iCloud...Ugh...

My God iCloud sucks, the web interface is an abomination compared to Google Drive.

Wait. I didn't say use iCloud for storage purposes (or Google Drive). I can be mean, but not that cruel. I meant merely as a Win10 update deterrent. Although there are much better alternate deterrents available.

Wait. I didn't say use iCloud for storage purposes (or Google Drive). I can be mean, but not that cruel. I meant merely as a Win10 update deterrent. Although there are much better alternate deterrents available.

I know what you meant. I just can't stand iCloud, so I need to find another deterrent! ;)

Nah, I see linux-people doing that in EVERY single Windowsthread....they come in, arrognat...and think that helps spread linux.
People converted by his post: =< 0

It's not funny or a "stab"...it is being a linux-muppet.

As a user of Linux as well as numerous other operating systems, I see the opposite. Basically, it's impossible to criticize without making comparisons. When it comes to Windows 10, there's a lot to be critical of.

So basically a bunch of crap, plus nothing we have been asking for. Further eroding user oversight, further fragmenting settings and options. Great.

Note: I've never been really concerned about uninstalling their crap apps. As long as they dindo notin they only take a few MB of space. And I don't mind that I need powershell to get rid of them, I got rid of the windows store that way as well.

As a user of Linux as well as numerous other operating systems, I see the opposite. Basically, it's impossible to criticize without making comparisons. When it comes to Windows 10, there's a lot to be critical of.
But windows10 is soooo bad you just need to compare to windows7

But windows10 is soooo bad you just need to compare to windows7

The problem is that Windows 7 is fast becoming an impractical option as a modern operating system. I went to download a patch direct from Microsoft that I've used in the past for free the other day, they wanted to charge for it! There was absolutely no other way I could get the patch, it was totally locked behind a paywall. ~20MB and they want money to download a patch! You know where you can jamb that.

With the Linux Desktop, there is also a lot to be critical off, with the foremost being the severe fragmentation of the distributions. And yes, I mentioned Linux on purpose, because unlike folks who consider it the end all be all of Windows replacement, they claim the biggest problem is actually a feature, and mean it.

The problem is that Windows 7 is fast becoming an impractical option as a modern operating system. I went to download a patch direct from Microsoft that I've used in the past for free the other day, they wanted to charge for it! There was absolutely no other way I could get the patch, it was totally locked behind a paywall. ~20MB and they want money to download a patch! You know where you can jamb that.

Proof? If you are going to make an outrageous claim, at least show us the proof so we can see for ourselves.

Nah, I see linux-people doing that in EVERY single Windowsthread....they come in, arrognat...and think that helps spread linux.
People converted by his post: =< 0

It's not funny or a "stab"...it is being a linux-muppet.
TBH You see that in the Linux forum too. Windows people come in just to troll using old stereotypes from 20 years ago about why "linux sucks"

• 3D viewer.
    • Calculator.
    • Calendar.
    • Groove Music.
    • Mail.
    • Movies & TV.
    • Paint 3D.
    • Snip & Sketch.
    • Sticky Notes.
    • Voice Recorder.
Keep that up please.
Candy crush is missing from that list. Also all of the Xbox crap.

wish they offered a stripped down version w/o the store, cortana, those pre-installed apps, etc.. well like LTSB/LTSC, but available to the general public
They won't because it doesn't provide a source of recurring income from said users.

TBH You see that in the Linux forum too. Windows people come in just to troll using old stereotypes from 20 years ago about why "linux sucks"

Can you show me an example of this then please? And no, a subreddit does not count. :D

Ah, the oppressed come to proclaim their oppression...

Seriously, can we not just talk about upcoming features?

With the Linux Desktop, there is also a lot to be critical off, with the foremost being the severe fragmentation of the distributions. And yes, I mentioned Linux on purpose, because unlike folks who consider it the end all be all of Windows replacement, they claim the biggest problem is actually a feature, and mean it.

I understand where you're coming from, but if fragmentation is your issue just choose one of the companies that provide Linux software and stick with its offerings.

Canonical/Red Hat/SUSE, for example. I personally like Red Hat's approach. It's open, but also professionally developed and supported, thus ready for any enterprise deployment.

Fedora, although a community project, is 99% ready for primetime as a workstation OS on every metric I compare it vs. Windows. I find myself running it all the time, booting Windows only when I need to, not as my "home" os.

That's all my experience of course, but if anyone's interested in researching solutions that's my take on it so far.

That said, I would love that MS would clean up Windows, just like they did with Vista - a great idea, but not polished enough for prime time - to 7, which was Vista improved. I see all the advantages to the MS approach, and I don't want Windows to die, quite the opposite. The belief that FOSS doesn't need competition just because it's free is wrong. On the other hand, it doesn't mean MS can rest on their laurels like they're actively resorting to as of late.

Last edited:

Regarding Windows 10, there's fragmentation within the one desktop UI. You have a control panel as well as a setting's panel and you have a combination of a touch UI as well as desktop UI with tablet mode disabled - It's a mess and the touch UI is ugly.

Under Linux, I can choose the UI I prefer and that theme carries throughout the entire OS. Even Qt applications render almost perfectly according to the currently used theme. What Windows users believe is fragmentation really isn't an issue at all.

Back