Windows 10 19H1: All the Changes We Know So Far

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Windows Central has rounded up all the changes users should expect in Windows 10’s next major update. The most obvious addition is a new light theme, which, predictably, turns most of the Windows Shell white. Microsoft is also allowing the uninstallation of more modern apps, such as Calendar and Paint 3D. Last but not least is a new troubleshooting system that will send diagnostic information from a PC to automatically fix problems.

Microsoft is now hard at work on the next feature update for Windows 10, codenamed 19H1 and scheduled for release in April 2019. This update is expected to include yet more changes and new features such as Windows Sets, and further UI refinements, and improvements. Development has only just started, so the changelog for this release is still pretty small. We expect more to be added over the next few weeks and months.

Development has only just started, so the changelog for this release is still pretty small. We expect more to be added over the next few weeks and months.

So there's still time to develop new bugs... uh... more features.

Last but not least is a new troubleshooting system that will send diagnostic information from a PC to automatically fix problems.

The existing grotesque amount of telemetry isn't sufficient? Perhaps this new 'troubleshooting system' can fix Microsoft's update paradigm. Regular security fixes welcome - major 'feature' updates optional, thanks.

How much do you have to pay for a usable desktop?

Like WinXP or something? :)

For those of us who are Windows Insiders and in the Fast Ring, this is old news. Some of the things on the list are are great but things like Sets are a snore. The amount of control of both your own experience and what Microsoft wants is becoming much, much more granular. I am on Version 1809 Build 18282.

Was kind of hoping for "Fixing all the stuff we broke in 1803 and 1809". Such as but not limited to default application settings and network file share disconnects.

Much more granularity and control over the first. On upgrading MS's defaults are overridden by mine. Every single time.

Found 1 thing of use for this non power windows user.

• You can now uninstall several more inbox apps including:
    • 3D viewer.
    • Calculator.
    • Calendar.
    • Groove Music.
    • Mail.
    • Movies & TV.
    • Paint 3D.
    • Snip & Sketch.
    • Sticky Notes.
    • Voice Recorder.
Keep that up please.

You know, posts like this is why linux-people put of new users...nad why Windows have +90% market share on the desktop...good job!

Popularity is easy when it's the OS installed by default on the device you're buying. It's OK to be critical of Microsoft and their stupid decisions.

He was taking a light hearted stab after all the crap Linux users cop from Windows users, I actually found it quite quick witted and funny.

Last but not least is a new troubleshooting system that will send diagnostic information from a PC to automatically fix problems.

Ah, so Windows just went full time debug mode for us beta testers.

Popularity is easy when it's the OS installed by default on the device you're buying. It's OK to be critical of Microsoft and their stupid decisions.

He was taking a light hearted stab after all the crap Linux users cop from Windows users, I actually found it quite quick witted and funny.

Nah, I see linux-people doing that in EVERY single Windowsthread....they come in, arrognat...and think that helps spread linux.
People converted by his post: =< 0

It's not funny or a "stab"...it is being a linux-muppet.

Nah, I see linux-people doing that in EVERY single Windowsthread....they come in, arrognat...and think that helps spread linux.

No it really wasn't, in my opinion... It was just a humorous response.

What I think is worse than people who overly push Linux are those who respond disproportionately to anyone who dares mention it on a Windows discussion thread.

I don't seem to remember that Muppets character, but the Jim Henson Creature Shop does indeed run Linux.

Just FYI 'Bob,' 'muppet' isn't widely used as an insult outside of the UK/India. People are fed up with constant shitposting and marketing from certain 'arrogant Windows-people,' even on the Linux OS subforum. Nobody is getting paid to push Linux around here

Last edited:
I wish they would sort out the black theme before wasting their time on a theme surely nobody will ever use for more than the 5 seconds it will take before their eyes burn out, and just who the hell will over want a bright white theme? I don't think it's good to give a perma-tan to your retinas. jeez.

Windows 10 is a joke... Nothing truly meaningful ever gets done, bugs don't get fixed, performance certainly does not get improved, and two updates a year is clearly far too much work for Microsoft.

I still think Windows 7 had one of the best UI's out there. This flat Metro shit is ageing badly, and is so boring, as well as a waste of any modern computers resources.

We shell out $$$$$ on Windows 10 and they get to make decisions on what kind of theme for us to pick from?

That's like having a Lamborghini with only 2 colors of your choice - bright pink or lime green.

I think the only reason I don't have issues is that I use my pc like a glorified console.

Bringing back all the features that win 7 pro has back to win 10 pro that I paid for because I wanted? No? Ok continue pounding sand MS.

From TFA, "Development has only just started, so the changelog for this release is still pretty small. ...". Just now starting for something being released in 5 months? This probably won't end well.

they need to slow down and change to a yearly release model...no need for 2 major updates a year

I've been saying the same since Creators despite some journalists stating the frequency isn't the issue. Worse still is that they continue to sneak various 'features' or 'changes' in monthly which always leave me worrying about what new exploits have just been added. Weekly I hope for the simple fixes, monthly I just wait to experience or read what might've gotten screwed up, every six months I expect a fail.

Good thing I'm on Win 10 Pro and still run 1709. The "Defer updates" setting is one of the few things working properly still. I'd migrate to LTSC in a heartbeat if that laptop wasn't company property.

We shell out $$$$$ on Windows 10 and they get to make decisions on what kind of theme for us to pick from?

That's like having a Lamborghini with only 2 colors of your choice - bright pink or lime green.
Really, the vast majority of windows users DIDN'T shell out $$ for the OS. It came preinstalled on their oem rig.

Once the system is borked there's an opportunity to switch OS's. I just had a girl with a dead HDD who hadn't made recovery disks. When given the option of buying the disks or use Mint for free, she opted for Mint.

Anyone who isn't specifically stuck using windows for a specific application should go linux IMO. If I wasn't gaming at home and 3D CAD at work, both rigs would be linux already.

Back on thread: I didn't see anything in the list of interest. Change simply for the sake of change is stupid. Make the OS rock solid instead of just screwing around with it already.

I wonder how many people actually use the new features that are added. Personally the only thing I used in 1809 was the dark theme. The other crap I ignored like 99.9999% of my customers did.
The HDR implementation improvements are nice, but that’s all I cared about.

I am seriously photophobic and I think the dark theme is not good at all for light sensitive people. The lighter theme seems to be what I have been waiting to use for my interface.

the great thing about these 6 month update cycles is the extra money we make supporting them. the cycle is.. the updates start rolling out.. we see ODD things happen.. fix. over the next 3-4 months as the updates continue to roll out and we fix. Things get quiet for a month or 2.. then new updates

its paying for me and the wife to have a nice island paradise vacation, thanks MS !!

but a more serious note.. businesses are really starting to get annoyed with all this constant updates, that to them, provide no incentive. They see no benefit from them.. only cost. wonder how much longer they are going to put up with that before looking into some options.

I could see a utility that could be paid for, that blocks all these updates in a safe and easy to do and undo manner, really taking off.

"Perhaps Microsoft should pay more attention to its Windows Insiders before releasing major updates to Windows 10. In fact, both the file deletion and zip file ...bugs were identified by Windows Insiders during the testing phase of the October 2018 Update (and even earlier versions of Windows 10) but these reported issues were never acted upon by Microsoft until it was too late."

I just had a girl with a dead HDD who hadn't made recovery disks. When given the option of buying the disks or use Mint for free, she opted for Mint

Windows is a free download for licensed users. Using OEM Recovery disks is doing a disservice to a customer. Even new machines through our shop are formatted and treated to a fresh install of Windows. If specific software is needed for hardware operation it is added, but in most cases Windows + drivers are all that are required.

OT: I agree that the 6 month cycle is too short and that most of the bells and whistles they are trying to add are pointless. I do like the delta/cumulative update system better than the old pick and choose options, though.

You know, posts like this is why linux-people put of new users...nad why Windows have +90% market share on the desktop...good job!
Dangnabbit. over 20 people saw the humour and liked that silly post, and then there's you. So sorry about any perceived inconvenience my post may have caused. I have set up a counseling hotline just for you, here's the link https://www.ubuntu.com/

Really, the vast majority of windows users DIDN'T shell out $$ for the OS. It came preinstalled on their oem rig.

Once the system is borked there's an opportunity to switch OS's. I just had a girl with a dead HDD who hadn't made recovery disks. When given the option of buying the disks or use Mint for free, she opted for Mint.

Anyone who isn't specifically stuck using windows for a specific application should go linux IMO. If I wasn't gaming at home and 3D CAD at work, both rigs would be linux already.

Back on thread: I didn't see anything in the list of interest. Change simply for the sake of change is stupid. Make the OS rock solid instead of just screwing around with it already.
In what scenario is a user with a crashed hard drive unable to reinstall Windows? I've literally never found a single oem machine I couldn't reinstall Windows on in decades of doing it. Their activation is nearly without fail in their bios. I don't even recall the last time I used one of those terrible restore discs either. I just install Windows to the same certain they had, manually put in the key and activate it. Your story has missing details as there is usually never a reason why a regular end user needs to buy a copy of Windows.

The worst case scenario I ever ran into simply required me contacting the oem to get a new key issued since the sticker was destroyed. Took about 5 minutes on the phone.

In what scenario is a user with a crashed hard drive unable to reinstall Windows?.
I never said it was an "Unable to" scenario. I said IMO if you aren't stuck using windows, there's no reason to use it, and it's an opportunity to switch OS's.

ESPECIALLY when windows has gone downhill (my opinion having used every windows OS since 3.1).

Back