Window 7 Turn off ReadyBoost so it Does Not Take Gobs of Memory at Startup

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by lycanwolf, Oct 24, 2009.

1. Damar

Damar [H]ardness Supreme

Ah yes, you can write BIOS's but can't type a grammatically correct paragraph to save your life. That's some genius IQ working there.

Also, here's a link that I had saved off from long ago. Take a look at the second chart, and note the source of the info used there (MS). It shows what most people I've talked to have known for quite some time. You'd have to be running with very little physical memory in a machine to notice even the slightest improvement in boot times with ReadyBoost. With anything over 1GB you aren't going to see much. That data comes from Vista, but I wouldn't expect to see much difference if any with Windows 7.

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=2160&page=5

As stated above already, the whole point of having tons of physical memory in a machine is to use it, not let it just sit there looking pretty.

Ok I need some coffee. :D

2. firas

firas 2[H]4U

I know, but you didn't have to be rude guys :(

3. Down8

Down8 2[H]4U

^^^ This.

If you want respect, lying about driving a 'Vette, and speaking like a 12yr old aren't the way to get it.

4. GoldenTiger

GoldenTiger [H]ard as it Gets

He was rude, so people responded in kind... I can't blame them.

5. Suprfire

Suprfire 2[H]4U

ok guys why don't we just delete system32

6. CopyThat

CopyThat Gawd

ONOES!
    I haev 80MB free, 9277MB Availlable, 9204MB Cached (thats leik stolen rite?) of a total 12279MB
    Obveously MS fail at maths...
    Wht shopuld I delets?

7. Kil4Thril

Kil4Thril 2[H]4U

Anyone else see the blatant irony present in this post? :p

8. Yoshiyuki Blade

Yoshiyuki Blade 2[H]4U

I'd say about half of of it was your spelling, and other other half was your nonsensical suggestion to turn off readyboost. Oh, and your comically-presented personal life.

9. lycanwolf

lycanwolf n00b

I also like to say. Who freaking cares about how I type or spell. Sorry I can not be a perfect person like you direwolf. I mean sure you must have the perfect life with everything you want come true.

10. lycanwolf

lycanwolf n00b

Its written backwards something I used to use in school so teachers couldn't see what I was writing on paper.

11. Yoshiyuki Blade

Yoshiyuki Blade 2[H]4U

Yes I knew that. Hence why I was able to respond.

12. dali71

dali71 Limp Gawd

Looks like he got hit with the banhammer. What a shame, I was rather enjoying the overflowing fountain of fail that is lycanwolf :D

13. stop!theradio

stop!theradio 2[H]4U

B7. Good riddance.

Goodness, I'm taken back to the beginning of Vista with this thread.

14. GoldenTiger

What were you writing that was so secret, anyway :eek: ? No worries, simple minds come up with simple ways to "hide" things, that's why Yoshiyuki Blade could read/respond so easily ;). I find your commentary regarding having decent spelling/grammar meaning someone has to be "perfect" hilarious, since even your worst middle schoolers have better than you were presenting.

15. maxoptimus

maxoptimus n00b

Cool, you are guru. All need to do this. I rename key in registry and after some time win7 free up more then 600mb. wow. I have stoped superfetch, but looks like readyboot and these filter continue work until remove/rename this key.
    system become work faster and all other app too (firefox become faster near 2 times)

16. JR-Orion

JR-Orion [H]Lite

Now that's a bump.

17. Corvette

Corvette [H]ard|Gawd

Did somebody say Corvette?

18. Forceman

Forceman [H]ardForum Junkie

How woud freeing up memory make Firefox run faster? Especially memory that is cached, and released back from the system on demand? I think that's called the placebo effect.

Seriously, you all with your fascination for "free" RAM. Free RAM is just wasted RAM.

19. OEM

OEM [H]ard as it Gets

I drive a BMW, so this thread is invalid.

What's readyboost?

20. jeremyshaw

jeremyshaw [H]ardForum Junkie

bingo. Seriously, it's RAM, let it be. Add more if you need it. Vista/7s resource management is decent enough, only severely ignoreant "tech [strike=option]shills[/s] journalists," tried to bash and change that.

21. 86 5.0L

86 5.0L [H]ardness Supreme

no, Corevette

22. cyclone3d

cyclone3d [H]ardForum Junkie

I will probably try this tonight.

I for one can believe that "readyboost" just wastes space and time if it is not being used.

I've had way too much experience with MS to not take everything they put in Windows with a grain of salt.

23. Joe Average

Joe Average Ad Blocker - Banned

Considering the age of this thread and the ~1.5 year thread necromancy, I fully expect an Admin/Mod to shut it once and for all anytime now.

ReadyBoost only applies if you have a USB stick or an SD card or some type of Flash-RAM device attached to the PC. Suffice to say, ReadyBoost != Superfetch, they are two completely different aspects of Vista/Windows 7, and people would do well to learn the differences.

If you don't have any Flash-RAM devices plugged in, ReadyBoost is irrelevant - there's nothing to "disable" since you're not using it.

Superfetch, on the other hand, is active by default and is a normal function of Windows Vista and Windows 7 - disabling THAT is only going to hamper performance more than someone would believe it will benefit them.

That's pretty much it. Oh, there's just one more thing...

Leave it alone. ;)

24. Forceman

But then you'd be out of a job...;)

25. Jerome36

Jerome36 2[H]4U

LOL! I didn't notice the date, when I started reading this thread, and it started to come back to me!

26. XOR != OR

XOR != OR [H]ardForum Junkie

ha, necro thread, nevermind.

27. cyclone3d

To put this to rest hopefully once and for all:

I came across this thread:
    http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1599553

Which had a link to this page:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/e7/archive/2009/05/05/support-and-q-a-for-solid-state-drives-and.aspx

This page mentions that:
    "Be default, Windows 7 will disable Superfetch, ReadyBoost, as well as boot and application launch prefetching on SSDs with good random read, random write and flush performance. These technologies were all designed to improve performance on traditional HDDs, where random read performance could easily be a major bottleneck. See the FAQ section for more details."

So yeah, the OP was running SSDs and ReadyBoost should have been disabled by default.

28. Jon55

Jon55 2[H]4U

Who resurrected this thread? Everyone by now should already know why the OP's post is completely flawed, and that unused RAM = wasted RAM.

29. Forceman

You'd think so, but no, it still comes up all the time.

30. cyclone3d

Not necessarily. What happens if you have a program that detects how much free RAM there is when it starts? What if it would help that program to have the extra RAM available?

Just because the RAM is free on boot doesn't mean that some program you run after boot is not going to use it.

If you don't want any free RAM why don't you download and install everything you can find that will load on boot and stay in RAM? A few hundred processes to take up all your RAM should certainly not hurt since you don't need any free RAM.:rolleyes:

31. XOR != OR

XOR != OR [H]ardForum Junkie

You're missing the point. No one is saying throw arbitrary data in to memory. As you pointed out, that would be silly.

Instead, windows caches commonly used bits of data, so it's more immediately available when you need/want it.

Your example is a bit silly. I know of no program that does such a check, and even if it did it would be calling a windows API. Which is, no doubt, programmed to return the amount of free and cached memory.

32. /usr/home

/usr/home [H]ardness Supreme

OMG it's using 950 MB of my 8 GB OF RAMMZORZ!!!! WTFBBQ!!! I need those 250 MB back!!

33. YeuEmMaiMai

YeuEmMaiMai [H]ardForum Junkie

See the rig in my sig? I ran Vista on that and also on a Dell Vostro 1400 with a 1.8Ghz C2D w4Gb and a 8400GS-M and it was not slow at all on either machine

also run it on my parent's PC and it is a Pentium dual core with 2GB ram and intergrated video and it runs just fine

34. nessus

nessus 2[H]4U

This is a serious case of troll spellcaster based thread necromancy...

Please, someone, chop off this zombies head!

35. GoldenTiger

Necro!

pendragon1 likes this.
  36. pendragon1

pendragon1 [H]ardForum Junkie

37. Deadjasper

Deadjasper [H]ard|Gawd

Some of you youngin' need a trip to the woodshed.

86 5.0L likes this.
  38. Kardonxt

Kardonxt 2[H]4U

Wow necroception. Impressive.

30kgfn.jpg

pendragon1 likes this.
  39. DeaconFrost

DeaconFrost [H]ardForum Junkie

Might want to read the entire thread....all decade's worth of posts. It doesn't make Windows better. Using your memory makes Windows better.

40. GoldenTiger

Yep. It's a good thing.