WinDAS White Point Balance guide for Sony Trinitron CRTs

I'm not sure if that monitor has a service manual or service menu. If you can hunt one down that may help.If you're somehow able to adjust the G2, you might be able to achieve what you want. Maybe post in a separate thread with the CRT mode and service manual in the title

I'm not sure if that monitor has a service manual or service menu. If you can hunt one down that may help.If you're somehow able to adjust the G2, you might be able to achieve what you want. Maybe post in a separate thread with the CRT mode and service manual in the title
Okay, I'll see if I can find one.
Also, very interesting, the G2 stuff. So, if I've wrapped my head around it right, adjusting the G2 adjusts what the minimum brightness of black on a CRT is via undervolting, without compromising the gamma somehow? I would appreciate an explanation on this a lot.

Okay, I'll see if I can find one.
Also, very interesting, the G2 stuff. So, if I've wrapped my head around it right, adjusting the G2 adjusts what the minimum brightness of black on a CRT is via undervolting, without compromising the gamma somehow? I would appreciate an explanation on this a lot.

It does affect gamma. If you set it too low, the image will be crushed (gamma too high). This can be compensated by a software calibration after the hardware calibration, but this works best if you have a 10 bit DAC (nvidia cards with analog out have this).

It's been a while since I studied this stuff, and even back then there were gaps in my understanding. I think in WinDAS, the other steps also affect gamma, but not sure exactly how.

It does affect gamma. If you set it too low, the image will be crushed (gamma too high). This can be compensated by a software calibration after the hardware calibration, but this works best if you have a 10 bit DAC (nvidia cards with analog out have this).

It's been a while since I studied this stuff, and even back then there were gaps in my understanding. I think in WinDAS, the other steps also affect gamma, but not sure exactly how.
Okay, interesting.

also, you might be able to adjust the voltages (G2, drive), directly with a screwdriver if your tube supports it. I think some tubes have a potentiometer for G2 on the flyback that you can adjust with a screwdiver.

Do your due diligence before opening up the tube though (safety, etc.)

Update-
I calibrated my 751 set to half brightness and full contrast in the OSD and am thoroughly impressed. Crazy intensely good black levels, while being bright enough to still be usable in a well lit room.
I also got way better color performance this time- 92% sRGB coverage vs. my previous 84%!
Screenshot_20200729_092521.png

Though, that weird dip in the lime green area wasn't there in my last calibration. Oh well, that's probably a compromise made in order to make the rest of the colors perform well.
With all this in mind, I'm actually decently comfortable doing some photo and video editing on this over 2 decade old monitor. I say that coming from a laptop monitor that performs this well after calibration:
Screenshot_20200729_092735.png

Many thanks for the process and it's a success!

A few things I figured out that may help others:

1- After the first WPB, reaching almost perfect values, it did save the settings in spite of my initial feeling. The only step I wasn't able to properly do was the very last one (sRGB). It asks you to reach a Y=80 value with a "CONTRAST" slider, and with the slider to the max (255) I was only able to reach 72. I did the Final Setting step, and.....everything looked like shit, in spite of perfect values at every single step. Is it because of that last sRGB step? I was annoyed and couldn't understand what went wrong. So I reloaded my EEPROM backup I did before the WPB, and tried from scratch again...and I reached exactly the same shit result (including the sRGB step).
So this time I decided to keep those new settings and start a new WPB straightaway on top of it. Again, hitting all close to perfect values, reached the final sRGB step...and this time it was totally different! I could properly reach the Y=80 with the slider around 200. I did the Final Setting again, saved it, and... bingo! Everything looks damn perfect. I'm not sure if that makes sense to be honest. For me, the iterative nature of the process was to always try to get slightly closer to perfection, I didn't expect a first run to end up all off, then the next one perfect, it's pretty counter-intuitive to me. In any case, if it happens to you, just do another round or two on top of each other.

2- The "verification" step from the procedure on the main PC with HCFR, where it says "select View Images from the generator dropdown" is wrong (maybe HCFR changed since it was written?). This is how I did it:
- Open HCFR, go File->New
- "Select a generator from the list": pick Automatic and next, select your sensor in the list (i1DisplayPro in my case), "create a new meter correction file"
- In the main video, in the "View" section, "Gray Scale" should be selected already, if not, pick it up in the dropdown. Then press the "Go" button on the right-hand side, a popup will ask "Run gray scales on 11 values?" and press yes. Your screen will go fullscreen and 11 different shades of gray will automatically be displayed and measured by the sensor. When it's done, you'll be back at the main view, with the "deltaE" table colored and the RGB/gamma graph, pretty similar to spacediver's procedure. Hopefully, your deltaE will be green in the whole range :)

3- If you're doing the procedure on an older computer (I used XP on a Pentium3 myself), PowerStrip is extremely useful to view real-time screen timings and validate settings (gamma ramp, LUT, etc..)

4- Finally, I am attaching the templates I adapted for my 1600x1200 screen, including a i1DisplayPro centering template, if that's useful for someone.

Many thanks!

Attachments

• Templates_1600.zip
    64.6 KB · Views: 0
Thanks for this valuable information and the templates. I'll update the guide in my signature with the new HCFR flow (it may have been due to older version of HCFR like you suggested, I'll have to confirm), and will include your templates.

Made an account just so that someone here can verify this for me.
Does changing the contrast and brightness prior to calibration screw up the whole WPB process? Is it mandatory to have contrast and brightness set to default before beginning the calibration process? I have a CPD-G520, which is a CR1 Chassis. I set the contrast and brightness to 50 and 50. (If someone can verify me the default contrast and brightness I would appreciate that. I'm guessing its Contrast: 85 and Brightness: 50? Since it changes to that value after calibration).

Problems during calibration:
For all 3: 9300, 6500, and 5300, I cannot hit a (Cont Min) minimum contrast for any of them. The slider is either very close to value of 255. Maxing out to 255 isn't able to reach the target given on Windas. This is also relevant for the last step SRGB. Using a white pattern, i'm unable to reach the proper luminance value even after having the slider maxed out.

SRGB Problem.PNG

Disgusting results after calibration:

Made an account just so that someone here can verify this for me.
Does changing the contrast and brightness prior to calibration screw up the whole WPB process? Is it mandatory to have contrast and brightness set to default before beginning the calibration process? I have a CPD-G520, which is a CR1 Chassis. I set the contrast and brightness to 50 and 50. (If someone can verify me the default contrast and brightness I would appreciate that. I'm guessing its Contrast: 85 and Brightness: 50? Since it changes to that value after calibration).

I don't believe the contrast brightness settings before calibration have an impact.
Problems during calibration:
For all 3: 9300, 6500, and 5300, I cannot hit a (Cont Min) minimum contrast for any of them. The slider is either very close to value of 255. Maxing out to 255 isn't able to reach the target given on Windas. This is also relevant for the last step SRGB. Using a white pattern, i'm unable to reach the proper luminance value even after having the slider maxed out.

In your first image, the target is 82 cd/m^2 (nits), yet your real time luminance value shows 104.77 nits, and the slider in WinDAS is at max. Why aren't you lowering the slider so you hit the target value?

I don't believe the contrast brightness settings before calibration have an impact.

In your first image, the target is 82 cd/m^2 (nits), yet your real time luminance value shows 104.77 nits, and the slider in WinDAS is at max. Why aren't you lowering the slider so you hit the target value?

If I'm not mistaken moving the slider to the right decreases luminance. If I decrease and move the slider to the left it actually increases the luminance. I'm going to have to double check again as I'm at work and report later tonight

If I'm not mistaken moving the slider to the right decreases luminance. If I decrease and move the slider to the left it actually increases the luminance. I'm going to have to double check again as I'm at work and report later tonight

Moving slider to right increases luminance.

If the opposite is happening, something is seriously wrong with your tube, or your copy of WinDAS, or your colorimeter, or HCFR.

So i'd like to report that I am still getting the same issue even with contrast and brightness set to their default values.
And Yes, for the final step, slider moving to the right decreases luminance.

On my first attempt on doing the WPB I was able to achieve an amazing grayscale. After being unsatisfied with the generated LUT i redid the whole WPB process and now im getting screwed values. (I remember changing around the settings in "Expert" color mode since it has access to gain/bias settings. Other than that after reverting back to an old .dat, I am unable to achieve a good grayscale as before).
I might just have to do an image restoration and see what happens from there.

EDIT: Image restoration didn't do anything.
Question: 1. In Windas, does anything save from the previous profile when loading up an older save file? Or will it be overwritten?(Gonna have to load my original dat and start from scratch again...)
2. Is ArgyllCMS driver required for the i1Display pro? Because i've read around and it is not required. Is it plug and play? or do i need to manually install the drivers? (I'm guessing it is installed correctly since It shows it's correct name under Displaycal and it has all its spectral corrections under the dropdown menu).

SRGB 0.PNG
SRGB 255.PNG

trash 2.PNG

Sharing my grayscale from my first WPB attempt.
Grayscale.png

Last edited:
So i'd like to report that I am still getting the same issue even with contrast and brightness set to their default values.
And Yes, for the final step, slider moving to the right decreases luminance.

that's kinda bizarre. And you can visibly tell that the screen is getting dimmer when the colorimeter reports a decrease in luminance, right?

It might not be an issue anyway, since I think the last step is for sRGB mode which we don't use (at least I don't).

Another question: Did you ensure your video LUT was reset before doing the WPB?

And have you been adjusting the reference targets in HCFR when going through the three main color temp modes in WinDAS? (so it starts with 9300k, and then moves to 6500 I think, and you need to set the reference targets accordingly in HCFR so that you can interpret the RGB color cylinders correctly.

Question: 1. In Windas, does anything save from the previous profile when loading up an older save file? Or will it be overwritten?(Gonna have to load my original dat and start from scratch again...)

Not sure, I don't think so. Any I've found that backing up my dat and then loading it doesn't restore the tube to the settings when I saved the dat. I think the FW900 has some buggy firmware around that.

2. Is ArgyllCMS driver required for the i1Display pro? Because i've read around and it is not required. Is it plug and play? or do i need to manually install the drivers? (I'm guessing it is installed correctly since It shows it's correct name under Displaycal and it has all its spectral corrections under the dropdown menu).[/quote\

I think it may be required depending upon the version of the colorimeter you have. But it's been a while since I went down that rabbit hole. I think HCFR uses the argyll drivers for the i1display pro, but not sure if it automatically uses those.

that's kinda bizarre. And you can visibly tell that the screen is getting dimmer when the colorimeter reports a decrease in luminance, right?

It might not be an issue anyway, since I think the last step is for sRGB mode which we don't use (at least I don't).

Another question: Did you ensure your video LUT was reset before doing the WPB?

And have you been adjusting the reference targets in HCFR when going through the three main color temp modes in WinDAS? (so it starts with 9300k, and then moves to 6500 I think, and you need to set the reference targets accordingly in HCFR so that you can interpret the RGB color cylinders correctly.

Not sure, I don't think so. Any I've found that backing up my dat and then loading it doesn't restore the tube to the settings when I saved the dat. I think the FW900 has some buggy firmware around that.

1. I found the solution. Displaying a full screen IRE pattern image, especially white causes the monitor to automatically decrease in brightness, screwing with the colorimeter readings.
Solution: I'm not sure if it was in the guide but changing the "Image area" under image parameters in HCFR to 10% will prevent the monitor from decreasing brightness and ensuring accurate readings.

2. Yes I went through the whole calibration from 93 to 65 and 50k.

3. Yes I made sure to disable/reset any LUTs before calibrating. And made sure default values were set in nvidia control panel.

4. In regards to the .dat. I think you have to finalize settings before saving the dat. So that after you load up that .dat your settings will be intact. I'll have to try again but when not finalizing settings before backing up a dat and loading the same dat again, my convergence settings i've set on the OSD gets messed up.
EDIT: Confirmed. You do have to finalize settings before saving a dat or else some settings wont save. Would need someone to confirm this as well just in case.

Well after trying out #1 from above, I was able to get it close to my first attempt.
Question: How can I correct 10 and 20 IRE? I'm not very knowledgeable about calibration but I would like those to be flat as well. Does that mean i'd have to rerun the WPB calibration again? Also for gamma. But i shouldn't have to worry about that since it will be corrected using a LUT.

Capture.PNG

Looks like you're honing in, gj.

See what the measurements look like after an argyll lut correction, you'll probably be able to get it dialed in nicely.

As for how to improve the low end... on the one hand, your delta Es for 10 is very good, despite the blue channel being out of balance, so it may not be an issue.

Surprised that you weren't able to get a reading for 0. Did you find that with low light readings, the colorimeter took a while to measure? (if so, that's a good thing, it means it's in adaptive mode - a small bell is ringing in my head telling me that you may need the argyll drivers to get adaptive mode to work, but I could be wrong).

Looks like you're honing in, gj.

See what the measurements look like after an argyll lut correction, you'll probably be able to get it dialed in nicely.

As for how to improve the low end... on the one hand, your delta Es for 10 is very good, despite the blue channel being out of balance, so it may not be an issue.

Surprised that you weren't able to get a reading for 0. Did you find that with low light readings, the colorimeter took a while to measure? (if so, that's a good thing, it means it's in adaptive mode - a small bell is ringing in my head telling me that you may need the argyll drivers to get adaptive mode to work, but I could be wrong).

Installing Argyll allowed me to use dispwin and dispcal command prompts.
Here is my final calibration. Took me a long time to figure all this out so, although not perfect I'm satisfied. Anything that I could potentially correct let me know. I chose 2.4 gamma as my target will try 2.2 and compare which i like.
Question: I've created a .cal file. Would I be able to create an ICC or icm profile using these command prompts? There is a program called idisplay profiler which i would like to use in conjunction with the .cal i created, since I have another profile (ICC or icm i think) under that program for another monitor.

1598383862300.png

Last edited:
Looking pretty good! How's the image quality?

I'm sure you could bundle the information in the cal file into the icc file, but not really understanding your use case.

Why not just stick with the cal file you've just created? I also sometimes create a separate cal file for 2.4 and 2.2, and switch between them depending on viewing material. I don't ever use icc files. The only relevant thing inside the icc/icm profile for our purposes is the vcgt tag which contains the same sort of information as that inside the cal file.

Looking pretty good! How's the image quality?

I'm sure you could bundle the information in the cal file into the icc file, but not really understanding your use case.

Why not just stick with the cal file you've just created? I also sometimes create a separate cal file for 2.4 and 2.2, and switch between them depending on viewing material. I don't ever use icc files. The only relevant thing inside the icc/icm profile for our purposes is the vcgt tag which contains the same sort of information as that inside the cal file.

theres something called DisplayCal profiler that I use. I created an ICC profile anyways so it was all good. Which is actually from the screenshot above

Ok that should provide similar results, though I always get much tighter results than you when I use the command line approach (not sure if this is because of the command line approach, or something else).

Hi everyone, I'm getting into doing the WPB on a DELL P1130 (aparently it's a rebadge of the Sony CPD-G520 mentioned in this thread) I've had in storage which i last used about 10 years ago.. If anyone has any tips or tricks in calibrating it, please let me know! :)

Last edited:
Ok so thanks to the OP for the amazing guide! i managed to figure out WinDAS and the instructions, thanks to the help of a few posts in here with updates to the original post, figuring out the final step with "view images" that i couldnt find..i did my first calibration but after the SRGB thing my settings got all borked so I'll be trying 2 calibrations back to back this time in hopes of it turning out alright, now that i have the hang of this. :)

Also near the end spacediver you mentioned that we should have Contrast at 90 and Brightness at 31?? is that what we Trinitron folks SHOULD have set it to before we started calibrating? I didn't see it mentioned before the calibration in the OP. Or is it supposed to be set to 85 and 50 like default? which one is the right one to calibrate at for my P1130 please? thanks!

Last edited:
Also near the end spacediver you mentioned that we should have Contrast at 90 and Brightness at 31?? is that what we Trinitron folks SHOULD have set it to before we started calibrating? I didn't see it mentioned before the calibration in the OP. Or is it supposed to be set to 85 and 50 like default? which one is the right one to calibrate at for my P1130 please? thanks!

I don't think it matters what you set those to before calibration. The 31/90 is what WinDAS will set the monitor to after calibration (that's what I meant by "should be"). But I believe these values are for the FW900, and that those values may differ depending on tube.

I don't think it matters what you set those to before calibration. The 31/90 is what WinDAS will set the monitor to after calibration (that's what I meant by "should be"). But I believe these values are for the FW900, and that those values may differ depending on tube.

F520 and Artisan are set to 85 Contrast and 50 Bright after calibration.

ah, i understand. Thank you. By the way i rebooted the monitor and it seemed to forget all it's settings? :( Do i need to use the "Load to Set" function in WinDAS to load the settings onto the EEPROM? to save the data from RAM into the memory of the monitor?

-Also, I distinctly remember my P1130 remembering the OSD custom resizing i had done for all of my custom widescreen resolutions, but after doing the WPB.. now when i set a resolution- switch from it and then switch back- the CRT acts like it forgot the custom resizing i had done in the OSD? Anyone know about this, or know a fix? It's really quite frustrating.

And after re-calibrating, i ended up with a G2 of 108 for it to be pure it basically looked turned OFF when in a dark room now. :) and i have 18.5k hours on the P1130, is that a good G2 for that many tube hours? I believe initially it was set to 147

Last edited:
ah, i understand. Thank you. By the way i rebooted the monitor and it seemed to forget all it's settings? :( Do i need to use the "Load to Set" function in WinDAS to load the settings onto the EEPROM? to save the data from RAM into the memory of the monitor?

-Also, I distinctly remember my P1130 remembering the OSD custom resizing i had done for all of my custom widescreen resolutions, but after doing the WPB.. now when i set a resolution- switch from it and then switch back- the CRT acts like it forgot the custom resizing i had done in the OSD? Anyone know about this, or know a fix? It's really quite frustrating.

And after re-calibrating, i ended up with a G2 of 108 for it to be pure it basically looked turned OFF when in a dark room now. :) and i have 18.5k hours on the P1130, is that a good G2 for that many tube hours? I believe initially it was set to 147
Do you also have issues with the Gamma adjustment from argyll cms that there is always this error my Gamma when I set GDI in HCFR to 0-255 is at 2.7 with 16_236 it is 2.4.
I would like 2.2 with still got black level for gaming 2.7 is too high I use televison mode in CSGO bcuz of that.
Here is the issue with argyll cms can you maybe provide the Version of 2014 from this tutorial where it worked?

Attachments

• error_dispcal.png
    error_dispcal.png
    84 KB · Views: 0

No need to do load to set or anything, but did you follow the last two steps? (see image)

As for resizing, not very experienced with that workflow, jbl may have more insight. But if the issue is that you're not following the last two steps, then that may explain the loss of custom resizing.

Make sure that whatever you set the G2 at, that moving it one or two steps brighter will be perceptually noticeable. If it's not noticeable, you've set G2 too low. And even if it's not too low, and just right for best inky blacks, at that low black level, it requires better instrumentation to do the LUT fine tuning so that the dark range is separated nicely - particularly, something that is more sensitive, like the i1 display pro.

I've been experimenting recently with slightly lighter than inky blacks - for many, a somewhat lighter black level may be better so that you don't exceed your instrument's capabilities.

And it goes without say that if you're erring on the darker side, you absolutely will need LUT calibration to uncrush the image.

1604449903510.png

No need to do load to set or anything, but did you follow the last two steps? (see image)

As for resizing, not very experienced with that workflow, jbl may have more insight. But if the issue is that you're not following the last two steps, then that may explain the loss of custom resizing.

Make sure that whatever you set the G2 at, that moving it one or two steps brighter will be perceptually noticeable. If it's not noticeable, you've set G2 too low. And even if it's not too low, and just right for best inky blacks, at that low black level, it requires better instrumentation to do the LUT fine tuning so that the dark range is separated nicely - particularly, something that is more sensitive, like the i1 display pro.

I've been experimenting recently with slightly lighter than inky blacks - for many, a somewhat lighter black level may be better so that you don't exceed your instrument's capabilities.

And it goes without say that if you're erring on the darker side, you absolutely will need LUT calibration to uncrush the image.

View attachment 295697
So yes i did follow your last 2 steps properly...

By the way, I do indeed appreciate the guide, and I DID set my black levels so that moving it one step brighter was perceivable, but doing that totally does make my black levels crushed.. Don't get me wrong, it looks great to show off how black the CRT looks even in a dark room it looks OFF.. But: I'm glad your testing with slightly lighter than inky blacks, because I'd like to ask.. if i want to use your guide.. but instead of tuning for inky blacks, i want to tune for 2.2 Gamma or 2.4 gamma- how would i do that please?

Please, I think it's probably important to tune for either 2.2 or 2.4 gamma from the beginning, it's better than having the guide force us to use crushed ink black levels, and then be forced to use a LUT.. :(

So yes i did follow your last 2 steps properly...

By the way, I do indeed appreciate the guide, and I DID set my black levels so that moving it one step brighter was perceivable, but doing that totally does make my black levels crushed.. Don't get me wrong, it looks great to show off how black the CRT looks even in a dark room it looks OFF.. But: I'm glad your testing with slightly lighter than inky blacks, because I'd like to ask.. if i want to use your guide.. but instead of tuning for inky blacks, i want to tune for 2.2 Gamma or 2.4 gamma- how would i do that please?

Please, I think it's probably important to tune for either 2.2 or 2.4 gamma from the beginning, it's better than having the guide force us to use crushed ink black levels, and then be forced to use a LUT.. :(
If you did follow last two steps correctly, and it's still not saving settings, not sure what to do about that. May be a faulty EEPROM. You could do some experiments by modifying dat files, loading them into monitor, then saving to dat and seeing if the modifications were incorporated and saved properly. Maybe others can chime in.

As for achieving luminance curve with only hardware calibration, this is something you'll have to develop an eye for in setting the G2 level. That is a key step (as is the next step where you adjust the (G1?) of the green gun). For that, I recommend using the 16 graybar pattern I included. Good CRT service techs were those who could reliably set the "out of box" gamma by eye alone in the first two steps. You could also try a more quantitative approach, and figure out an "algorithm" that reliably produces the desired out of box gamma. It would take a few trials, writing down measurements, and may involve some math.

This is timely btw as today I just did my first calibration since March. Did an experiment where I set the (G1?) of the green gun (step 2) really high (and G2 in first step really dark) the first trial. It made reaching some of the luminance targets more difficult, and resulted in a washed out picture, even though G2 was low. Didn't produce a cast as far as I could tell (should have more carefully measured but was in a rush).

And I do recommend something at least as sensitive as an i1 display pro - really allows you to get really deep blacks without crushed image.

If you did follow last two steps correctly, and it's still not saving settings, not sure what to do about that. May be a faulty EEPROM. You could do some experiments by modifying dat files, loading them into monitor, then saving to dat and seeing if the modifications were incorporated and saved properly. Maybe others can chime in.

As for achieving luminance curve with only hardware calibration, this is something you'll have to develop an eye for in setting the G2 level. That is a key step (as is the next step where you adjust the (G1?) of the green gun). For that, I recommend using the 16 graybar pattern I included. Good CRT service techs were those who could reliably set the "out of box" gamma by eye alone in the first two steps. You could also try a more quantitative approach, and figure out an "algorithm" that reliably produces the desired out of box gamma. It would take a few trials, writing down measurements, and may involve some math.

This is timely btw as today I just did my first calibration since March. Did an experiment where I set the (G1?) of the green gun (step 2) really high (and G2 in first step really dark) the first trial. It made reaching some of the luminance targets more difficult, and resulted in a washed out picture, even though G2 was low. Didn't produce a cast as far as I could tell (should have more carefully measured but was in a rush).

And I do recommend something at least as sensitive as an i1 display pro - really allows you to get really deep blacks without crushed image.
ok so i was able to get the settings to save, i just had to go through the WPB Calibration again and then things saved..

Now about achieving the proper 2.2 or 2.4 Gamma luminance curve with just hardware calibration.. is there a trick to measuring nits with a colorimeter during G2 calibration, (using your 16 graybar pattern) to get the G1 level proper?

Sadly i only have an X-Rite DTP94.. could i set 2.2 -2.4 gamma using your guide with this colorimeter alone? I love the inky blacks for showing off the CRT, but for usability the black being crushed is really no fun.. :( Please let me know, thanks!

ok so i was able to get the settings to save, i just had to go through the WPB Calibration again and then things saved..

Now about achieving the proper 2.2 or 2.4 Gamma luminance curve with just hardware calibration.. is there a trick to measuring nits with a colorimeter during G2 calibration, (using your 16 graybar pattern) to get the G1 level proper?

Sadly i only have an X-Rite DTP94.. could i set 2.2 -2.4 gamma using your guide with this colorimeter alone? I love the inky blacks for showing off the CRT, but for usability the black being crushed is really no fun.. :( Please let me know, thanks!

Glad you were able to get the settings to save.

My guess is that you might be able to get away with something as simple as a ratio of luminances between two gray levels.

My advice would be to do the following:

Use the graybar pattern (I think it's called "Grayscale_16_bars_1920.png")

During first step (G2), adjust the G2 until the second patch is just noticeably distinguishable from the first patch.

Then, load up a full field image that is 50 IRE (RGB = 127,127,127 - you'll have to make this image yourself), and measure luminance. Write this number down. Do same with full field image that is full white (the included "White_1920x1200.png" will do fine here). Write that number down. Calculate the ratio of 100 IRE to 50 IRE, and write this down.

Repeat for second step, but this time, ensure that the ratio of 100 IRE to 50 IRE is the same as what you achieved in the first step (so instead of adjusting the slider until the second patch is just noticeably different from first patch, adjust slider until the ratio of 100 IRE to 50 IRE is same as from first step. Hopefully, this will correspond to the second patch being just noticeably different from first patch).

Continue rest of WPB, and then measure gamma using HCFR at end.

If image is too dark (gamma too high), then repeat the whole process, and aim for a slightly lower ratio of 100 IRE to 50 IRE during the first two steps. And if image is too light (gamma too low), then aim for a slightly higher ratio.

So you only use the graybar pattern once during the first step of the first trial (as a way to find a promising baseline using your eye). Step 2 of the first trial, and steps 1 and 2 of all subsequent trials should be adjusted based on target ratios.

Once you find a target ratio that reliably produces the desired out of box gamma, remember that ratio and share it with the rest of us :)

If you decide to do this experiment, please share what you learn!

actually, thinking about it more, I think you need at least three measurements. Stay tuned, I'll see if I can come up with a formula this evening.

actually, thinking about it more, I think you need at least three measurements. Stay tuned, I'll see if I can come up with a formula this evening.
OH SWEET, thank you so much spacediver ! I'm very excited to see what you come up with, I cant wait to finally have these black levels properly adjusted so that my Delta E's are as low as possible and everything is color accurate.

Do you think it would be possible to then create a LUT to have the meme-level inky blacks?

OH SWEET, thank you so much spacediver ! I'm very excited to see what you come up with, I cant wait to finally have these black levels properly adjusted so that my Delta E's are as low as possible and everything is color accurate.

Do you think it would be possible to then create a LUT to have the meme-level inky blacks?
Upon second thoughts, I think two measurements may be enough. So stick to the algorithm I suggested a couple posts up.

I don't understand your second question.

Upon second thoughts, I think two measurements may be enough. So stick to the algorithm I suggested a couple posts up.

I don't understand your second question.
Ok so i got a 50IRE pattern and used your 100IRE pattern, my luminance in HCFR (at 115 G2.. up from 100 lol) was 9.22 and 65.37.. what ratio would that end up being? how exactly do i calculate that ratio..

Last edited:
Ok so i got a 50IRE pattern and used your 100IRE pattern, my luminance in HCFR (at 115 G2.. up from 100 lol) was 9.22 and 65.37.. what ratio would that end up being? how exactly do i calculate that ratio..

Let's say 100 IRE produced a luminance of 80 nite, and 50 IRE produced a luminance of 20 nits. In that case, the ratio would be 80/20 = 4.

Let's say 100 IRE produced a luminance of 80 nite, and 50 IRE produced a luminance of 20 nits. In that case, the ratio would be 80/20 = 4.
spacediver I need your help. Awesome guide by the way, but I’m having trouble with some areas. First, I’m using an IBM P275, so the images aren’t fulllscreen for me. Is this a serious problem for calibration with WinDAS? Also, I’m confused about what images to use when. For example, on step 46, you have to calibrate for 8 nits for the “Cut off Max”. If I’m strictly following the guide, it seems to me that I should still be using the black image, but that doesn’t make sense in my mind. Should I be using the white image instead? Also, what about the calibrations for different whites? I only see one white image in the attachments, but shouldn’t there be different images for different whites? I’m slightly retarded about a lot of this so thanks for your help.

spacediver I need your help. Awesome guide by the way, but I’m having trouble with some areas. First, I’m using an IBM P275, so the images aren’t fulllscreen for me. Is this a serious problem for calibration with WinDAS? Also, I’m confused about what images to use when. For example, on step 46, you have to calibrate for 8 nits for the “Cut off Max”. If I’m strictly following the guide, it seems to me that I should still be using the black image, but that doesn’t make sense in my mind. Should I be using the white image instead? Also, what about the calibrations for different whites? I only see one white image in the attachments, but shouldn’t there be different images for different whites? I’m slightly retarded about a lot of this so thanks for your help.

Given that this is color calibration and not geometry, you should be fine with the included test patterns. Just make sure they fill your entire screen.

During some steps, the actual brightness will automatically be adjusted - so for example even though you're using the black pattern during step 46, the actual brightness during that step will be much higher than normal brightness.

And calibration for different whites should use the same test pattern. The "white" test pattern is just telling the video card to send equal voltages to each of the guns. When you calibrate the different color temperatures, you'll be adjusting the precise ratio of voltages for that particular temperature. The monitor will remember those settings if you choose to switch temperatures.

Back