Winchester 3000 or 3200?

digiram

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm planning on moving over to socket 939. I've been hearing great things about the 3000, but does the 3200's higher multiplier make a big difference in overclockability at all?

Also, what motherboard would you guys recommend. The chaintech nf4 for 100.00 sounds good. Anybody have experience with that board at all?

Well I was unlucky and got only 2.2ghz with my 3000. Just ordered the 3200 just for that 10x multiplyer..As for Mobo I would recommend DFI or MSI but thats a $50 price difference. For around $100 I would go chaintech or gigabyte.

my 3000+ winny does 2.6ghz stable, but that 10x multiplier like he said would sure come in handy

I would spring for a better mobo over a better cpu if you are looking at 50 bucks. It really is worth if in the long run and you might just get a better oc off a better mobo.

agreed, i'd personally recommend the msi k8n neo4.. seems to be doing exceptionally well.

and the 3200 over the 3000 just for the 10x multi when overclocking is really handy

If you're looking for a moderate overclock (nothing too extreme) and would be happy with results in the 2.2Ghz range, go with the 3000+.

However, I was hoping for 2.4~2.5 stable, and my 3000+ (0503) is really struggling with hitting that. If I had sprung for the 3200+ with the 10x multiplier, it would have been much much easier to hit the range I was looking for.

With the 10x multiplier, you only need to hit 240~250HTT. That's well within the reach of the Winchesters. And the 166 divider for the memory puts you at 199Mhz-207Mhz, again well within the reach of any decent value memory.

As I've discovered, with the 9x multiplier, to hit 2.4-2.5 you have to run stable at 267-278HTT. At those speeds, you're likely going to be beyond what your average PC3200 can do with the 166 divider (230Mhz at 278HTT) and going to be well below 200Mhz using the 133 divider. Something to consider if your board doesn't have inbetween multipliers (ie 150).

Not that the 3000+'s can't bring in a good overclock, but in my opinion, with the multiplier/HTT options, and the talk about the '05 chips simply not overclocking like the older chips, I'd say going with a 3200+ is a better buy. Kind of bummed that I didn't go that route myself. If I had, I could have just dropped it in, went 240HTTx10, bumped up the voltage a little, and set the memory to 166. Presto, 2.4Ghz in a matter of minutes and I would have been satisfied. Instead, I spent about 6 hours over the weekend trying to fiddle with HTT/memory settings trying to get a stable overclock, and gave up tired and frustrated at 2.25Ghz. I'm not giving up since I did get a successful (but unstable Prime95) OC at 2.6Ghz, but fiddling with HTT and memory settings were driving me up the wall. Looking back, the $25-$30 would have really saved me some hassle and likely would have made a much cleaner and easier overclock.

Thanks for all the replies guys. I may rethink my strategy and go with a better mobo, and a 3000. I might be able to hit the high fsb with my trusty old bh-5.

paladiin said:
If you're looking for a moderate overclock (nothing too extreme) and would be happy with results in the 2.2Ghz range, go with the 3000+.

However, I was hoping for 2.4~2.5 stable, and my 3000+ (0503) is really struggling with hitting that. If I had sprung for the 3200+ with the 10x multiplier, it would have been much much easier to hit the range I was looking for.

With the 10x multiplier, you only need to hit 240~250HTT. That's well within the reach of the Winchesters. And the 166 divider for the memory puts you at 199Mhz-207Mhz, again well within the reach of any decent value memory.

As I've discovered, with the 9x multiplier, to hit 2.4-2.5 you have to run stable at 267-278HTT. At those speeds, you're likely going to be beyond what your average PC3200 can do with the 166 divider (230Mhz at 278HTT) and going to be well below 200Mhz using the 133 divider. Something to consider if your board doesn't have inbetween multipliers (ie 150).

Not that the 3000+'s can't bring in a good overclock, but in my opinion, with the multiplier/HTT options, and the talk about the '05 chips simply not overclocking like the older chips, I'd say going with a 3200+ is a better buy. Kind of bummed that I didn't go that route myself. If I had, I could have just dropped it in, went 240HTTx10, bumped up the voltage a little, and set the memory to 166. Presto, 2.4Ghz in a matter of minutes and I would have been satisfied. Instead, I spent about 6 hours over the weekend trying to fiddle with HTT/memory settings trying to get a stable overclock, and gave up tired and frustrated at 2.25Ghz. I'm not giving up since I did get a successful (but unstable Prime95) OC at 2.6Ghz, but fiddling with HTT and memory settings were driving me up the wall. Looking back, the $25-$30 would have really saved me some hassle and likely would have made a much cleaner and easier overclock.

on thing he failed to mention is that the multipliers are not completely locked; you can set it down. so say you have a 3000+ and you have memory that can do like 220, 300x8 giving you 2.4ghz and a 133 divider which would put your memory at like 199 i.e. pc3200 value :)

just dont get an epox 9nda3+

Yes, get a epox ep-9nda3j, i have mine running at 300fsb, 3xmulti=900mhz hypertransport. So my 3000+ is running nice and cool at 2.7ghz. It needs a little over 1.7volts to do it, but the options on the motherboard go much crazier than that. Onboard sound sucks, but i got all the fancy nforce3 ultra doodahs (nvraid, firewall, onchip gigabit ethernet) on a motherboard for 92.50. I would suggest putting any extra money you might have twords a better videocard, sadly you will be needing something like a good overclocking 6600 or better to get the full advantage of your cpu in some games. I have a 9800pro and I know its holding back my a64.

Whichever cpu you choose the overclocking has a lot to do with being lucky and getting a good chip. You have an equal chance either way really.

Back