Winamp...what version do you use?

MISMCSA

2[H]4U
I'm still using winamp 2.91 Full. I didn't even notice that they went up to 5.03. What are you all using? I'm formatting soon, so I thought I would gather some info. Thanks

The 5.x series is Winamp 2.x with "modern" skin support added via a plugin. It also has several extensions to the plugin APIs along with several improvements in the program itself. such as extended jump to file, media library, global hotkeys, etc.... And updated EQ code (though its not enabled by default)

The new skins are of course optional. You can still use 2.x skins.

I still use 2.91, I have been tempted to try out 5.03 though. I honestly like the simplistic look of 2.xx series, but I'm intereted in trying the Eye Candy approch to it as well, I just don't want a bunch of resources wasted on Winamp since I run it while I play games a lot. I'll probably try it soon though.

i tried foobar once a while ago, and didn't really like it; it was a very early copy though. I have been using winamp since like version 1.5 or 1.8 (forget which, was suggested a LONG time ago by someone on geocities). Have been using it ever since, i have gotten expert like with the interface after using it for almost 9 years. I use 5.03 now, and continue to use my 4 year old skin =)

I miss those days.

2.91, nothing since has worked reliably with the media buttons on my keyboards. If it weren't for that, I'd be on 5.

>i tried foobar once a while ago, and didn't really like it; it was a very early copy though

Early versions were rough, but when it got a seek-bar by default I left winamp behind, forever. I love the tabs, replay-gain support and the marvelous tagging- and customizable display capabilities it has.

Not to mention that it actually looks like a normal application per default. Now if I could only have a video-player that didn't try to look like a fucking set-top box.

I use 5.03. Sometimes I don't mind aesthetics when it's mixed with functionality.~ You can always turn off the modern skins option anyway.

2.91 on some machines, 2.95 on others.

I paid $10 for a license back when. The license was a voluntary contribution, really. I've been using Winamp before it was 1.0 when it was in beta. I can't remember the version release, but it's on a Zip disk around here someplace. Maybe I'll dig it up. I'll have to hook up a Zip drive, though. :D

I've been using the same skin all along. It's so old that probably none of you have ever seen it before. It's very sedate by today's standards, but I like it.

By the way, how do you work the ripper in 2.95?

lomn75 said:
2.91, nothing since has worked reliably with the media buttons on my keyboards. If it weren't for that, I'd be on 5.

I'm using 5.03 with my Logitech Elite :cool: Works beautifully, I don't need to use the global hotkeys because of those spiffy media buttons :D

Winamp 5 is amazingly efficient. The first version of Winamp to run smoothly on my ancient P75 laptop... (Even 2 is too slow for MP3 playback...) Pretty good design, no? Of course, I have modern skins turned off on it and use a low profile skin, but, you get the idea.

EDIT: Oh, and there's not really any reason not to update to 5 since it is completely backwards compatible with 2. None of the bugs or stupid crap they put in 3 that made it so worthless.

2.91.. i kinda want to find a pre-aol buyout version.. somewhere around 2.2 is when that happened... 2.2 was the first version that has the collapsible eq box... anyways... i too have been using winamp since before most people knew what an mp3 was...

i like 5 but it is a resource hog.. i don't care what anyone says... it takes a minute to load on a pII 233 that i have... it grinds my friends k6 500 laptop to a halt... i have used it on a ton of comptuers... but i still use it for internet radio

maybe this should be a different thread, but what happened to sonique, k-jofol (spelling?), umm. there were other ones too.. i used them all back in the day.. made skins for them too...

using winamp 5 is there a way to add all the songs w/o having winamp reading all the songs again and figuring out how long each song is? i used winamp 3 b4 and i have like !1G+ songs and when i deleted all songs off playlist and added them again, all the songs came up and showed how long each were in a sec. now im using winamp 5 and when i delete them all and add them all again...it reads all the songs 1by 1 to show how long each song is and it takes forever...is there a faster way of adding them w/o having to save the playlist?

Retardo said:
using winamp 5 is there a way to add all the songs w/o having winamp reading all the songs again and figuring out how long each song is? i used winamp 3 b4 and i have like !1G+ songs and when i deleted all songs off playlist and added them again, all the songs came up and showed how long each were in a sec. now im using winamp 5 and when i delete them all and add them all again...it reads all the songs 1by 1 to show how long each song is and it takes forever...is there a faster way of adding them w/o having to save the playlist?

Just use the library feature and have it scan the media folders. that way, whenever you go to it, all the songs are always there, and you can select which songs you want loaded into a playlist (if not all). Hope this helps.

Your issue is merely with one of the settings. There is a setting to make it read the information on file loading, or, optionally, when played. I think there was a third too that only read manually or something, but, I can't really remember.

The library thing will also work in the way it was intended to. Personally though, I just can't stand stuff like that.

Nazo said:
Your issue is merely with one of the settings. There is a setting to make it read the information on file loading, or, optionally, when played. I think there was a third too that only read manually or something, but, I can't really remember.

The library thing will also work in the way it was intended to. Personally though, I just can't stand stuff like that.

you can set it to "read file info" on: load, display, or play

Yes, that's the option I was thinking of. However, now that I look, it seems they changed it with this latest version. Now, instead, it's under "Titles" in the general preferences. It says metadata. If you set it to read when loaded, it will slow down like crazy while loading a large number of files, but, then it won't freeze up when going through the list. Another option, read when played or viewed will load all on the current "page" of the list which is a bit slow, then freeze up for a split second as the list is scrolled down. The final option, and this is probably what you want, is read only when played. This makes almost no noticable effect, but it won't show any more than the basics until after it starts playing.

Of course, since, by default, the decoder has a high priority, it keeps playing without fail. So it's more a minor annoyance than anything else.

5.03. Im very happy with it. I have been using WMP9 for a while, but it would lock up my machine every once in a while, but not Winamp, stable as a rock. ;)

evildre said:
I'm using 5.03 with my Logitech Elite :cool: Works beautifully, I don't need to use the global hotkeys because of those spiffy media buttons :D
See, I've got that same keyboard, but once I adjust WA5 normally (say to select a given song), the media buttons crap out.

Retardo, I'm glad you love it, I think everyone should. d-: Personally, I can't help but love this new winamp with all the functionality of the old, but somehow more efficient. Lol, it's funny really to see how long it took them to realize winamp 3 was a lost cause. Sure a few people like it, but it seems like a bare minimum of 3/4 of the winamp users hated it.

Anyway, about the keys, I have a logitech navigator and gladly enjoy using the play controls on it. lomn75, I suspect your problem is a conflict with something else trying to use them. Perhaps try closing the logitech program if you have it running (the one that comes on that disc with the keyboard.) If you have Windows XP, it will be able to use more than the basics on it's own in fact. All of which can be configured using the TweakUI powertoy for XP. If you have an older version of windows like 98, you might still get some of the functionality of a few things like the volume controls. If you don't need the other keys, this is still better than having such a program running 24/7 even if it doesn't waste much.

Just for testing purposes anyway, close the program for a short while, start up winamp (or close it and start again if it was already opened) and see if that helps any. If it doesn't, then my guess was probably wrong.

I just put 5.03 on my main rig. It is a nice step up from 2.91.
I like it. :)

Fine, I just upgraded from 2.93, to 5.03. It's not faster, but newer is better (except in the case of WinAMP3 ;)).

My fear was that 5.03 would be like 3, but I've been proven wrong. I don't like the modern skin, so I just used the Nucleo AlienMind skin for 2.93 in 5.03, because it supports the classic skins.

I've got 2.91 at work and 5 at home. I think I like 2.91 better. I don't care about all the extra stuff. It's nice and simple.

paco said:
I've got 2.91 at work and 5 at home. I think I like 2.91 better. I don't care about all the extra stuff. It's nice and simple.
You are right. I take back my last post. After a couple of days with 5.03, I am discovering that I like 2.91 a lot better. I don't need all the crap. Besides, 5.03 locked up yesterday. It's my first lockup ever on this rig that I built in April of '03, so 5.03 goes bye, bye.

Back