Winamp Is Officially Dead

I have it running right now. I've been using it since it came out, and I'll continue to use it for years to come. Because it works.

:(

Kickstarter? I'd pay actual money for a well designed reboot that didn't break compatibility with most plugins...

Used it forever; lots of good memories. Probably from about 1999-2010. But ultimately I found that foobar2000 is superior in every way, if you're willing to spend a few minutes to installing and configuring the ColumnsUI plugin. I'd definitely recommend that route to anyone needing to jump ship.

I've had good memories using it during my junior high school days but it's been years since I've used it. I switched to foobar2000 (ftw).

Ah the good ol' days. Man I loved having the WOW thing for Winamp, thing made my $3 speakers sound good for the first time. Hope the creators moved on to good things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Kzj0fa5kiU

winamp_59490_2.jpg

That's the version I use. Are the newer versions any good. I think I stopped upgrading at 2.93 (give or take a hundredth). I can play mp3s, vorbis (maybe AAC/m4a...don't have any, so don't know) and FLAC. What more could I ask.

Sad to see it go. I still use it daily and prefer it over any other player I've found.

I ripped all my CD's back in 96 using a DOS app and encoded them to MP3 using a command line version of Fraunhoffer. I've been using WinAmp ever since it first came out in 97.

If they are just totally shutting it down, what AOL should do is give the current source code back to Justin and let him either continue it or give it out as freeware going forward. As far as that goes, it would probably be better off to just go back to the 2.95 source tree and move forward from there (before AOL fubar'ed it too badly).

Honestly, if I go digging, I may have at least a bit of early source code from either Nitrane or the original integer decoding engine around somewhere. Justin sent it to us back in the 98-99 time frame when we were looking to license/port it to QNX for, if memory serves, the 3Com Audrey. At that time his old integer based MP3 decode routines were of high interest to us due to the Cyrix MediaGX/Geode's rather, well, abysmal floating point performance).

if they let the source free and go back up the tree a bit they better not break the visualisations. i kept using winamp for that reason, and some of the Milkdrop settings available now really do leave the original visualisation abilities in the dust. i suspect if id would up into maths instead of language/english writing vis code would likely have been something i would have been into.

dunno if Milkdrop team are internal or external to winamp, i hope its possible that whatever software supersedes winamp - if there is anything - allows for such a plugin.... i aint giving it up without a replacement!

Older software just seems cooler and more sophisticated than newer....iTunes.

A part of me just died.

I think I stopped at 2.71 whrn aol fired the levacy team of awesome coders.
Anyway no regrets foobar 2000 and its tabs rock!

I've been using WinAMP since about 1998 sometime (took me a few months to learn how to use a PC and about Digital Music and then how it was played *and then* what the best player was to play it! lol

Been using it ever since. Its like the top few apps that are a "must have install" right after a clean O.S. install. And it will be for a long time to come. :)

I can't remember how long I've been using it but I couldn't imagine my PC without the winamp icon on the quicklaunch anymore.

I can't remember how long I've been using it but I couldn't imagine my PC without the winamp icon on the quicklaunch anymore.

And this is whats wrong with consumers these days. You do realise you can still install and use WinAMP? It will continue to work.... for a long time! It won't become unusable the instant they stop active development (like our (un)trusty game developers/console manufacturers DRM would have you believe). ;)

Sad; I have a lot of obscure music formats that only Winamp has plugins for, so I'll obviously need to backup the latest install .exe.

Sad; I have a lot of obscure music formats that only Winamp has plugins for, so I'll obviously need to backup the latest install .exe.
I'm pretty sure compatibility-wise foobar2000 is completely unbeatable... :D

And this is whats wrong with consumers these days. You do realise you can still install and use WinAMP? It will continue to work.... for a long time! It won't become unusable the instant they stop active development (like our (un)trusty game developers/console manufacturers DRM would have you believe). ;)

Oh I am well aware of that and I do intend to keep using it for a long time, I just wanted to express how much a part of my everyday computing experience it is.
I should have worded my post a little better ;)

talk about memories...

I always felt such geek cred back then for having a low icq #...

icq and winamp were staples of every desktop i used in highschool.

I can STILL remember my ICQ number, and I haven't used the program in better than ten years.

Winamp was awesome back in the day. Then, AOL happened. They killed it themselves (like everything they touch). Like ICQ, once they get it, they destroy it. I went to Foobar after Winamp started declining. Still, a damn good music player.

It really isnt dead nor did AOL do anything to it, they just added some free crap you can uncheck on install, otherwise it really is the same core winamp

Man, this recent news just flooded my thoughts with old memories of using Winamp and I'm starting to miss it :(

I stopped installing it ever since I started listening to music less frequently and eventually stopped. Gonna fire it up again for some good times. I think I still have a Vegeta skin from DBZ long, long ago.

Winamp and EQ for the win. I spent waaayyy too much time with both of those running on my first PC build.

Noooooooooo :( Goddamn onion ninja's cutting onions in my room! I just went out and made sure I got the most recent pro version. I'm sure someone will create an archive site and even if they don't it will likely live perpetually through torrent sites.

I too have used it since 1997. I quite using it for a while when my wife bought an Ipod. We used Itunes for a couple of years. I then got fed up with how Itunes kept changing my file names and ignoring the tags. I was not even using Itunes to download because I wanted MP3s with no DRM. So I purchased all my stuff from Amazon. I then went back to Winamp. I even have the Winamp app on my Droid. It is nice that it auto syncs with the Winamp on my PC. I am more worried about not being able to have the Winamp Android app than I am the PC version.

One of my favorite things to do is just get high, listen to music and stare at Milkdrop for like, an hour. :cool:
I know exactly what you mean. I love starring at Milkdrop at 5760x1200.

I did spend a lot of time in collage picking out skins and plugins. I used to have a saved folder with hundreds of them. I saved them for clean installs of my OS so that I would not have do download them again. I quit messing with the skins in the newer version. I figured the base skin was good enough for me.

Now that I think about it though. I do not listen to that much music anymore. I rarely have time, but when I do, I like my Winamp.

I wonder what he and Tom Pepper are up to now?

Justin has been working on a music/audio program REAPER for many years now. It's a pretty sweet bang-for-buck app. I've been using it since pre 1.0, it's a pretty sweet community and Mr. Frankel is a helluva nice/funny guy, super smart too :p

Not sure if it'll ever rival top DAWs like Logic, Cubase, Pro Tools... but performance and features/flexibility are top-notch, much like Winamp back in the day

Oh well, I guess I will continue to use Zombie Winamp until it no longer accepts the music files I play.

Wow it brings back memories ...i remember back in 1997 when I was 17 in highschool and my friend introduced me to it and mp3s. I've been using it eversince for 16 years. :eek:

Justin has been working on a music/audio program REAPER for many years now. It's a pretty sweet bang-for-buck app. I've been using it since pre 1.0, it's a pretty sweet community and Mr. Frankel is a helluva nice/funny guy, super smart too :p

Not sure if it'll ever rival top DAWs like Logic, Cubase, Pro Tools... but performance and features/flexibility are top-notch, much like Winamp back in the day

I use this off and on. I usually lean towards audacity because I'm normally in linux. In Windows its a great little app. I just do recordings for fun and with friends were I don't need to worry about stomping out any and all imperfection.

It does work just fine in WINE last I checked but WINE caused hell with my audio server doing that. Been a while, though.

winamp was great in its earlier form.

i loved dling skins for it. was badass for its time!

Back