Winamp Is Officially Dead

HardOCP News

[H] News
Winamp, has officially whipped the last llama's ass it will ever whip. :(

Winamp.com and associated web services will no longer be available past December 20, 2013. Additionally, Winamp Media players will no longer be available for download. Please download the latest version before that date. See release notes for latest improvements to this last release. Thanks for supporting the Winamp community for over 15 years.

Wow. That brings back memories of FTP sites, Audiogalaxy, and (of course) Wesley Willis.

And the llamas slept soundly, knowing their asses were safer.

Winamp was my media player of choice back in college. So many great app skins!

I still use Winamp all day every day. Sad to see it "officially" die, but really... Hasn't it been effectively "dead" for years?

I am disappoint, I think I've been using Winamp for 14 years

Winamp is all I use for my music. It will never die!

Also for all you Winamp users download the Enhancer 0.15 DSP Effect its nice! :cool:

They should really at least release source code and all if possible. :(

WinAMP has been the greatest music player out there. Surely someone will be spinning up a legacy Winamp archive website.

The AOLlama has whipped its ass

Pretty much. I remember cringing when I heard AOL had bought Nullsoft and am pretty surprised Winamp lasted this long.

I've switched to foobar a couple years ago, but I still miss ol' Winamp.

back in the day it was all about WinAmp and WinMX. I miss those days:(

Sad, I still use it.. Daily..
Im using it right now actually.

Its the only media app I can load my entire collection into at once and it not tank.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Kzj0fa5kiU

winamp_59490_2.jpg

Big deal. The llama rode off into the sunset and is finally free. Ride off little llama.

Been using Foobar2000 ever since I can remember... never really liked Winamp after it started using lots of RAM, back in the days where people only had 128mb ram on average.

Damn it! It's the only audio player I use for Windows. Does anyone know of a good alternate that shows full album art & isn't iTunes? I've tried a ton of players but they all fail at the album art library part...

Winamp is worth my money. I've checked out foobar before, but it doesn't even compare to the quality and features of Winamp. Even if foobar had a paid feature, that program isn't even worth the money. I once submitted a question on their forums asking if there is any plugin for foobar that is similar to a plugin I use for Winamp, and my thread was quickly closed with the reason of 'troll'. I had even worded my thread to be as kosher, friendly, and politically correct as possible -- just wanting human and friendly guidance, but instead the responses were somewhat negative and thread closed. :(

I am fine with open source, but most open source software out there lacks professionalism (first and foremost) from its community and people, and lacks in the polishing & quality department. Typical fanboyism and egonostic developers stereotypes.

(Luke screaming on the Cloud City platform in Ep5)

Bastards. Been a loyal user since 98 and was happy to fork over my $$ for Pro when it came out. Like the others here, using it right now. Hopefully audio file formats won't change enough to make the current version useless.

I think they started closing the doors when they didn't really step up to support Vista/7 and left it to plugin makers.

RIP, Llama!

They should make the pro version available for fee before d-day, not like it is going to hurt their "sales".

Sad in a way since it was so big way back running 0.x version on Windows 98.

This is terrible, I loved WinAmp. I remember streaming music videos over it like 10 years ago, and the quality was terrible, but this was pre-Youtube days so I didn't have anything else.

EQ was awesome, playlists were awesome, and yes, it did whip the llamas' ass.

I might have to grab it just for nostalgia sake.

WTF. I still use it to this day. Still IMO the best music player for the PC.

There better be sites archiving releases as we speak...

First illegal download I ever listened to was on winamp. Been using foobar for a long time now though. Goodbye old friend.:(

Back