WinAmp is Coming Back From the Dead in 2019

I used only Winamp from 1999 to about 2014. I tried the Winamp Android app and kept having syncing problems. I tried Mediamonkey and have been mostly using it ever since. I loved the customization of Winamp with the skins and plugins. When I was younger and loved to tinker and customize with programs, Winamp was one of my first programs that I would install on a new Windows install. Now that I don't have much free time, Mediamonkey pretty much does what I want out of the box, minus getting the sync process to work properly with my phone, but once I get it set up it is smooth sailing.

I still use WinAmp, but version 2.80, and it still works with windows 7, 8, and 10. I use the Alpine skin.

WinampAlpine.jpg

"What I see today is you have to jump from one player to another player or aggregator if you want to listen to a radio station, to a podcast player if you want to listen to a podcast - this, to me, is not the final experience," he explained.
Wish I can listen to FM radio on WInamp. It had better come out with a tech that makes it possible. Perhaps 20 years later?

I hope they keep it as pure as possible. That's why I still use it. Still so darn simple and it lets me manage my iPod Classic without using iTunes.

The only thing that I wish they would do is to make the UI infinitely resizable. Not doublesized, it is tiny. I can't imagine how microscopic/blurry that it'd be on a 4k display.

The modern skin has window scaling. Works great at 4k.

Used to love WinAmp.

But I don’t know the last time I played a music file on my computer.

I still have all the files, don’t get me wrong, but nowadays it’s all streamed through my Plex or DLNA server in my NAS to my entertainment center or streamed from my phone to something via bluetooth.

All I do on my computer anymore is work, the occasional game, and mandatory fapping.

They need to create it so that it works on desktop with the same features as mobile. What people really want is a universal device. If I have an MP3 I want it to cloud sync to my phone, even too alexa. And being able to flip between playlist, music, local, streaming, radio ya, that would all be great if you can do it on every platform.

If 20yo winamp still run on win10, then you gotta commend Microsoft for a stable api.

I too still use winamp on my pc, best of ever app, Back in 2004-05, I use to host a winamp server for music. So, I hope they keep the bento skin, and just update what ever needs updating like the dll's. Now for android, if they come out for android, it's going to be very hard to beat poweramp beta.

Will be hard to beat androids poweramp beta! I rip and scan all my music and albums.
PrsuNXp.png

I also utilize the shortcut keys which makes seeking and fastforwarding fantastic while gaming.

I'd love to see WinAMP as the primary audio/radio GUI inside the new touchscreen units of vehicles...the EQ adjustments alone would kick so much ass.

Never stopped using it... been registered since it first started.. love the program. Been using it since MODs, VOCs, S3Ms, & Midi files evolved and WAVs joined the pile. Adlib, Roland, and then Sound Blaster changed everything... Turtle Beach had some nice gear, but compatibility was a serious issue

I used Winamp, then Foobar, then streaming services became available and I never looked back.
Yeah, kind of the same here. When I switched over to linux as my primary platform; there are several good bloat and bot fly free media players for linux. The only thing I missed was the visualizers.
For Linux I've been using Pithos to stream Pandora ad free without a subscription for a long time. I never liked the android apps for Pandora because they of the ads.
I only recently subscribed to Pandora for the $5 a month membership because I became interested steaming while driving.

I too still use winamp on my pc, best of ever app, Back in 2004-05, I use to host a winamp server for music. So, I hope they keep the bento skin, and just update what ever needs updating like the dll's. Now for android, if they come out for android, it's going to be very hard to beat poweramp beta.

Will be hard to beat androids poweramp beta! I rip and scan all my music and albums.
View attachment 112631

Been using Poweramp for years on my phone, but wasn't aware of the beta. Thanks!

Back