Winamp Has New Owner, May Relaunch Again

Musicbee (used to use MediaMonkey and of course the dreaded iTunes :D). But before that: Winamp. Honestly if there were plugins that managed music just like these others did (able to drag and drop into it and it automatically moves it to the right folder, etc. etc.) then I'd go back to Winamp.

Not sure which is more surprising, that so many people still use winamp, or the reason they use it is because they notice resource usage issues with other programs. I have never had my system get bought to its knees playing mp3 or a cd.

Media Monkey was my winamp replacement for quite some years now. Same style interface and compatibility while still developed.

I use winamp for windows and Android. It plays mp3s, AAC, and most importantly FLAC. Foobar2000 needs a lot of work in the UI department, I used it last year and was unimpressed. I'll have to check out Media monkey since my G3 doesn't like winamp :( I haven't tried stuff out on my V10 yet..

Still using Winamp to this day. Did try out Foobar for a little while but switched back to Winamp after a couple of months. Probably the oldest software i continue to use.

Not sure which is more surprising, that so many people still use winamp, or the reason they use it is because they notice resource usage issues with other programs. I have never had my system get bought to its knees playing mp3 or a cd.

I always liked Winamp. It's small (both physically and in terms of the space it uses). I don't see much point in a music player with a large footprint. I just want something to play my music. I could live without some of the stuff that's in Winamp too (like the browser).

I still use Winamp every day -- and I still prefer it to every other player out there I've found so far. Nice, small, fast, simple UI, etc. -- what's still not to love about it?

And, actually, the 2.x versions are still the ones I prefer over the later ones.
Basically, Justin wrote it right to begin with and it's never been equaled IMHO.
His biggest mistake was in selling it to AOL -- who tried to ruin it along with everything else.

I actually spoke with him on the phone back in late '97/early '98 when a coworker was trying to get him to license his integer MP3 code to us for a project we were working on back then.

No I don't use Winamp. I was using Microsoft's Zune app (it really was good I swear) but since they've dumped that I've been using the Microsoft music app that keeps changing names Zune Music->Xbox Music->Music->Groove Music. It seems to get buggier with every new name-change and release so if someone releases a new, modernized Win Amp I might give it a go.

Yep i use WinAmp still. Its lite and has a deep set of UI customisation so it doesnt get in the way and i can tweak it just how i like it. Works great.

I still use Winamp with WASAPI + Milkdrop, along with a huge pack that has a craptonne of visuals.

Best player ever, hands down.

I have been using it since early v2.x days (~2000 or so) and made a few skins for it back then.

I used it as my only music player from 1997 until about a year and a half ago. I tired Media Monkey. It was the closest thing I could find that was like Winamp. When I reinstall my OS, I am probably going to go back to Winamp. I have always loved Winamp because it can be a very basic, very easy to use program, or you can customize it to do so many things and make it very powerful with all the settings and user created addons.

2.x all the way baby!!!!

Justin is pretty awesome, working on REAPER now, which is like the FooBar2000 of the Audio DAW world...

I downloaded the last version before it went away and I still use it. It just ... you know ... works well every time. It's small, has more skins/plug-ins/whatever than nearly any program I can think of save photoshop. It really was nearly the perfect player app. If they incorporate voice into it it would be epic. Who knows maybe someone has already.

Yes i still use winamp as my audio player is most of my machines... been using it since i can remember because it's very light, opens very quickly and has some nice plugins available.

I always liked Winamp. It's small (both physically and in terms of the space it uses). I don't see much point in a music player with a large footprint. I just want something to play my music. I could live without some of the stuff that's in Winamp too (like the browser).
My feelings, exactly. Been using Winamp since 1998. But I'm never going to touch a new version that has Vivendi behind it.

Been using Winamp since the late 90s and still using it today on all of my Windows systems. I see no point in using anything else :)

I still use winamp 2.51, wont upgrade, does what it needs and just works, doesn't kill CPU either.

I still use Foobar2000 primarily because of plugins I refuse to give up. foo_dsp_delta.dll (Noise Sharpener) is one of my all-time favorites and I haven't found anything that is as good. I'm using an Aphex 204 aural exciter and even with that I still use a little bit of the Noise Sharpener plugin. It does things to the audio that nothing else I've found can do, even with various VST plugins.

you are aware that winamp is a windows port of a linux program called...wait for it...amp?

Wait. By that logic windows is a windows port of the *nix programs dows. I've never heard of dows before you must be wrong :D

After all these years, is the historical codebase for winamp even intact? I would see it open sourced.

I feel like im the only person thats been a computer enthusiast this long and has always hated winamp. Used foobar for a long time, switched to musicbee and couldnt be happier.

I use winamp for windows and Android. It plays mp3s, AAC, and most importantly FLAC. Foobar2000 needs a lot of work in the UI department, I used it last year and was unimpressed. I'll have to check out Media monkey since my G3 doesn't like winamp :( I haven't tried stuff out on my V10 yet..

Foobars UI is whatever you make it. There are some gorgeous foobar setups out there go look at some.

foobar 2000, everything that was great about winamp only better. Low on resources, great ui that's not cluttered, plays anything even somethings media monkey wouldn't play. Get it you will love it.

I still use Winamp Lite. It does what I want and has nothing else on it. All I want is a music player. I disliked the newer players as they start jamming in all kinds of crap. Like it's a music player, video player, burning software, etc.

Back