Win98 networking problems

_cashel

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm having some trouble trying to establish a solid network connection between two aging windows 98 machines.

Background info:
*There are two machines: FRONTDESK and SERVER
*The network had worked fine before replacing SERVER with a slightly newer pc and formatting it.
*Both machines are running Win98 SE, the network settings being the same for each: everything is set to default/set to auto acquire.
Ipconfig /all was run, and this was what came up:

SERVER
network001.jpg

FRONTDESK
network002.jpg

It appears as though the SERVER isn't retreiving an IP address from the router, and so it isn't able to really browse the internet. Could this be affecting local network browsing as well? I'm really not sure at all. Also, if these two machines are both Win98, why would the ipconfig appear different, showing slightly different info?

Problems:
*The network between the two exists, sort of. Half the time, the two won't connect, and when they do, browsing/transfering files takes eons.
*The second machine, FRONTDESK, is able to browse the internet just fine. However, SERVER appears to have an internet connection (it will contact pages, load the titles in title bar), but it will not load pages, it just takes too long.

I realize I'm probably missing some key info. Just let me know and I'll supply it.

windows 98 is not a network OS. without an Ip address the server is usless. If you insist on using win98 you need to setup wins on the server.

Uh, you don't need WINS. 98 works ok however without a wins server or a maintained hosts file you will have to use broadcasting and master browser elections as the name resolution mechanism. Having each in the same workgroup will help significantly. I would disable one machine's ability to be the master browser. Looks like your running ICS for your internet sharing. That would probably be the best candidate as a permanent master browser.

I am curious. Why do you think it isn't getting a DHCP lease? Both look like they are getting IP's from the DHCP server, which is 192.168.0.1

It does look like you have a second ethernet interface card in the "server" machine.

ktwebb said:
Uh, you don't need WINS. 98 works ok however without a wins server or a maintained hosts file you will have to use broadcasting and master browser elections as the name resolution mechanism. Having each in the same workgroup will help significantly. I would disable one machine's ability to be the master browser. Looks like your running ICS for your internet sharing. That would probably be the best candidate as a permanent master browser.

I am curious. Why do you think it isn't getting a DHCP lease? Both look like they are getting IP's from the DHCP server, which is 192.168.0.1

Lol I have no idea why I was thinking that. Both machines are in the same workgroup. I'm not however using ICS for internet sharing, or atleast, not to my knowledge. How would I go about enabling broadcasting and disabling one's ability to be the master browser? Enabling ICS?

I've messed around with it some, and here's where I'm at now. I removed the dialup adapter from the server machine, and that seemed to do something to where it's now showing the same info as the frontdesk is when ipconfig /all is typed. The only difference between the two now is that IP routing is enabled for the frontdesk, and disabled for the server. I'm still having the same browsing issues/internet access problem however. Could this be what's holding me back? Also, I enabled the server to be the master browser and disabled it for the frontdesk, but it hasn't fixed anything. More insight would be appreciated.

edit: I've enabled routing on the server machine by inputing a new string value "Enable Routing" with the value of "1" under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\MSTCP. That hasn't solved anything however. I'm really all out of ideas here guys. I mean all settings are the same for both computers.

_cashel said:
I've messed around with it some, and here's where I'm at now. I removed the dialup adapter from the server machine, and that seemed to do something to where it's now showing the same info as the frontdesk is when ipconfig /all is typed. The only difference between the two now is that IP routing is enabled for the frontdesk, and disabled for the server. I'm still having the same browsing issues/internet access problem however. Could this be what's holding me back? Also, I enabled the server to be the master browser and disabled it for the frontdesk, but it hasn't fixed anything. More insight would be appreciated.

edit: I've enabled routing on the server machine by inputing a new string value "Enable Routing" with the value of "1" under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\MSTCP. That hasn't solved anything however. I'm really all out of ideas here guys. I mean all settings are the same for both computers.

thus why i said run wins. master browser should be used a a last resort. it unp[redictable and un reliable IMHO. Its not the proper way to network 95/98/nt4 if you have a server. btw i assume you mean winipcfg on the 98 machines.

Is the server getting an ip address? if so can you ping the router and other pc's? if so how about an external ip like 206.13.31.12?

PLEASE stop using Win98... you're just asking for trouble in wayyyy too many ways.

Cost should NOT be an issue AT ALL. Even WinXP Home can be made a server significantly better than Win98.

Certainly WINS is preferred but it hardly seems like a practical solution for you. Have you tried just editing your hosts file. On two machines I'd probably opt for this solution first. This would facilitate static IP's or like on most SOHO router solutions, a lease that is indefinite at least.

You'd just add the IP and computer name to your hosts or lmhosts file. Ping by name to check and see if that helped.

Back