Win98 install trouble

Taffy Apple

Limp Gawd
I have a Dell OptiPOS which I recently formatted.

Now that I'm trying to do a clean install of Win98. I keep getting "windows setup requires largest executable program size to be 442368 bytes in size.

Anyone sorted this out before, cos I'm so close to taking a hammer to it!

I put the disk into another box, and 98 loaded fine on it so its not the disk.

Your current configuration of you config.sys and autoexec.bat are no leaving anough DOS memory below the 640k limit for the setup program to start or the Dell needs to have a specific switch added to its himem.sys line.

Reconfig to a really bare config.sys something like the following:

dos=high,umb
devicehigh=<correct_path_for_your_machiene>\himem.sys
devicehigh=<your_CD_driver_with_appropraite_device_names>

And use a really bare autoexec.bat along the lines of

mscdex <cd_device_name>
<correct_path_for_your_machine>\smartdrv

That should get you going, or if you have the boot floppy for your 98 CD use that.

did you run fdisk and totally recreate partition?

boot from cd

boot with cd rom support

d:

fdisk

hit option 4 perhaps first to see how everything is layed out ..then hit 3 and delete everything

then recreate using full size of hard drive ..then what I do is:
d:\cd win98
format c:\
c:
c:\mkdir win98
cd win98
copy d:\win98
take out cd and then type
setup ..and then go about reinstalling win98
with cab files on hard drive already (providing you can swing the space) ..you wont have to put in your win98 cd for every little thing and sourcepath in registry will already be pointing to win98 folder on c drive..

I mess with alot of old boxes installing win98se ...never ran into that error .. micorsoft has this to say about that error:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q289727/

..also maybe double check bios and just set hdd detection to auto as microsoft says problem could be cause by system misreading size of your hard drive

[F]old|[H]

Back