Win98-Connecting to a 2000 machine

jordan12

[H]F Junkie
I have a 2000 machine that has a printer attached and shared.

I have a 98 machine that I want to connect to this 2000 machine so that it can print.

All that the 98 machine can see on the 2000 is the desktop. The 2 machines have the same workgroup name.

Any thing you would try?

make sure that the file and print sharing boxes are all checked
right click the lan connection and go to properties, also make sure that the win2k machine has the drivers for win98 or your print quality is not going to be consistent.

the win 2k machine will not let the 98 box anywhere if it does not have permission. You will have to enable sharing at the printer and make sure that the win 98 box has an account on the win 2k machine that is in a group that is allowed to use the printer. I suggest making an account on the win 2k machine(admin tools/comp mangmnt/local users groups) using the same login and password you use on the 98 box(you have to log into the 98 box with password to get it to network) then add the account on the security tab for the printer. Also you can set the shared printer to supply additional drivers for win 98, which means that the win 2k machine will supply the drivers for the printer to any win 98 box that might need them and is allowed to access.

Back