Win7 x64Pro...DHCP "enabled" on an adapter not sticking?

Skripka

[H]F Junkie
I've had this issue for a while when hard-wired, but it was only once in a while. Now with a wireless adapter it is practically a daily occurrence. Powering off or sleeping my machine overnight makes no difference, will almost certainly happen the next day.

Symptom...out of the blue websites stop loading.

Fix:
Right-click on network sys tray icon>Troubleshoot Problems>Problem with an adapter>All Adapters....gets me this:

F9toYPO.png

And for the record this is the one and only time a Windows "Try this repair" actually works. Windows claims it works in the troubleshoot prompts, and it actually does work.

Any great minds have an idea why on Earth Windows would keep turning DHCP off on my network interfaces...and more importantly how to stop it?

I'm guessing you already went through the adapter settings and made sure "Obtain IP address automatically" and "Obtain DNS automatically" is selected on the adapter?

Instructions:
http://windows7themes.net/en-us/how-to-enable-dhcp-in-windows-7/

Also would turn off IPv6. I've noticed more problems than not when having it on and not using IPv6. For whatever reason Microsoft thought it a brilliant move starting with Windows 7 to enabled IPv6 by default and assign it a higher priority than IPv4, meaning requests will always try IPv6 first then IPv4. It's caused a lot of real quirky ass issues, especially when I was using a 802.11g adapter years ago.

I'm guessing you already went through the adapter settings and made sure "Obtain IP address automatically" and "Obtain DNS automatically" is selected on the adapter?

Instructions:
http://windows7themes.net/en-us/how-to-enable-dhcp-in-windows-7/

Also would turn off IPv6. I've noticed more problems than not when having it on and not using IPv6. For whatever reason Microsoft thought it a brilliant move starting with Windows 7 to enabled IPv6 by default and assign it a higher priority than IPv4, meaning requests will always try IPv6 first then IPv4. It's caused a lot of real quirky ass issues, especially when I was using a 802.11g adapter years ago.

Corrected the above (both Obtain fields, and turning of IPv6)....Windows disabled DHCP on its own again within 24 hours. WTF?

Have you tried deleting the driver and reinstalling? Like completely uninstall the driver and all traces of the driver

Anything in the Event Logs?

I'm wondering if the DHCP Client service in Windows Services is set to something other than the default settings (i.e., Automatic, Local Service).

If anything, are you able to just give yourself a static IP address on your WLAN network adapter, and match it on your home router? This might help you troubleshoot the "dhcp" issue.

I did some experimenting last few days:

Uninstalled and reinstalled drivers...no change.

What I also found...whenever my VPN tunnel would cut out, windows would reset not only my adapter DHCP settings but also my adapter DNS settings. That is apparently the trigger.

Back