Win7 + X-Fi: Can't decode DD/DTS (Isn't this built into the drivers?)

jmk396

Gawd
I'm getting a little frustrated because the latest Creative X-Fi drivers say this:

Added Features or Enhancements:
For systems using Windows 7 or Windows Vista

* What U Hear feature is enabled.

To find out the Product ID of your audio device and if it supports the following feature in Windows XP, click here.

* Dolby® Digital and DTS® decode re-established for sound cards that included decoding in their Windows XP drivers (Not applicable for products that included a 3rd party software DVD player license in the package).
I've checked the compatibility, and my Xtreme Music supports this DD/DTS decoding.

However, in the audio console I do not have a decoder tab and my SPDIF I/O tab has the SPDIF drop-down grayed out and set to "Default".

How do I get my X-Fi Xtreme Music to hardware decode DD/DTS? (under Windows 7)

Please help!

No, but I'm trying to play my PS3 and X-Box 360 through the PC so that's not really the same thing :(

Did you mean that you have a decoder tab or that your SPDIF In isn't grayed out?

I think you linked to an older version of Daniel K's support pack (eg. there is a 2.0 now) so I'll give that a shot. I actually already tried to reinstall it on top my drivers and it didn't change anything but I'll reinstall Win7 later tonight and install them fresh to see what happens.

The SPDIF I/O Tab isn't greyed out for Input Settings; I can choose from Default, DTS SPDIF In-Decode, and SPDIF Bypass. I'm assuming the DTS option will decode Dolby Digital too, but I haven't actually tried it yet.

Do you have the Drive I/O (the drive bay), the Console I/O (the big unit that sits on your desk), or the Digital I/O module (the dongle that connects to the soundcard)?

...or something else?

I have a front drive bay. I assume the options will also be available with the console I/O, but the four-port I/O module never allowed DTS/Dolby decoding either back in the XP days from what I remember.

The SPDIF I/O Tab isn't greyed out for Input Settings; I can choose from Default, DTS SPDIF In-Decode, and SPDIF Bypass. I'm assuming the DTS option will decode Dolby Digital too, but I haven't actually tried it yet.

Not necessarily. DTS and Dolby Digital are two different compression standards. What decodes one won't decode the other.

Have Creative Drivers been updated to allow DTS connect on Windows 7 yet, or will DTS be a feature only on Vista?

So.. any chance you can say which daniel_k support pack for Win7 you're using? The old link you provided is not accessible. There's even a 2.5 out now. I installed support pack 2.5 under Win7 64bit; but I still dont have "Decode" tab nor a SPDIF-in option. Instead, I have a "Encoder" tab; which isn't related.

I only have "SPDIF bypass" and "Default" option under the "SPDIF Input Settings" tab.

What do I need to do in order to get those options. I am currently using my sound card's analog 5.1 output channels via the back of the sound card. I hope that's not causing the problem.

I also saw a 2_18_0013(X-Fi_DD_DTS_FIX).rar floating around. I applied that as well; but that didn't help either. I've posted on 5 different forums; but nobody seems to know anything about this whatsoever.

I suppose there is hope that they are still watching this 2 year old post and will answer your question.

Back