Win7 -> Win2008 Slow in one direction

I've got an interesting issue that I can't seem to pinpoint the issue of it.

My setup is like this:

Windows 2008 Server with 1Gb network card -> 1Gb Switch <- Windows 7 with 1Gb network card

My issue is this:
I'm trying to transfer a 2.8GB file from the Windows 7 machine to the Windows 2008 machine. On the Windows 7 machine, if I drag the file from the Desktop to the Windows 2008's network share the transfer runs at 5MB/s. Now the interesting thing is that if I get on the Windows 2008 machine and open up the Windows 7 machine's network share of the Desktop and drag the file across I get transfers of 27MB/s. What I can't understand is that it's the same transfer, from the same computer to the same other computer, yet depending on which computer starts the transfer I get a 500% speed difference.

So far I have tried disabling Remote Differential Compression on both computers, as well as disabling any firewall, active file scanning, etc.

Anyone have a clue?

Last edited:
It almost sounds like the HDD on the Server 2008 machine can't write (receive) the data as quickly as the Win7 machine can write to it's HDD. What kind of HDD are you using on your Server 2008 machine and if you have RAID, which type are you using? Also, is the Server 2008 machine dealing with heavy usage from other areas of the network?

No. I must've not made myself clear. The file transfer is always from Windows 7 to Windows 2008, the question is which computer does the copy-paste process. If the copy process is done on Windows 2008, I get 27-33MB/s, if it's done on Windows 7 I get 5MB/s. The transfer is always done from the same source hard drive to the same destination hard drive over the same network. The only thing that is different is which computer starts the copy from Win7 to Win2008.

I get that. What I mean is, your server 2008 machine may be having issues writing to the HDD drive. Even though it can send data to the win7 machine just fine, writing data to it may be the issue. What kind of specs do each machine have? Proc/Mem/etc.

No, you still aren't getting it. Data is always being written to Windows 2008 machine. Data is never being written to the Windows 7 machine. If I go to the Windows 2008 machine and copy the file from the Windows 7 machine I get 27-33MB/s. If I go to the Windows 7 machine and copy the file to Windows 2008 machine I get 5MB/s. The flow of data is always from Windows 7 to Windows 2008.

The specs are:
Windows 2008
Intel Core 2 Duo 3.0Ghz
4GB of DDR2 memory
1.5TB SATA 3.0GB/s HD

Windows 7
Intel Core 2 Duo 3.0Ghz
2GB of DDR3 memory
1.5TB SATA 3.0GB/s HD

It sounds like the server2008 machine is ok with sending (reading) the data to the win7 machine and the win7 machine has no problem writing (receiving) the data to it's HDD. The problem sounds like the server2008 is having problems writing (receiving) to it's HDD.

Ah, ok, I take it back! ;)

Let me do some research, I've heard of this before.

I think I've hit this issue before. What's the RAM usage like on the Server 2008 machine when you initiate the copies from either location?

Back