Win7 USB Flash drive install - Works fine but won't accept code

DaMaDo

Gawd
I followed the instructions in the sticky to get my Win7 DVD over to my USB drive and the whole install process works perfectly fine.

However, it won't accept the registration code after the installation.

The code works fine when I install off the DVD, just not off the USB drive.

Any ideas?

Are you sure that you are installing the correct version of Win7? Installing from a USB drive allows you to delete the file that forces the install of one version -- if you removed that file you may be choosing the wrong version.

Also, are you doing the proper installation method? If you've got an upgrade key and do a fresh install you'll have some challenges to overcome. If you've got a retail key then you shouldn't be having any problems as long as you're choosing the correct version.

If you did an install from USB and it wouldn't accept your key, then did another install do the same drive with the DVD, it would see it as an upgrade and allow your key to function. So is it possible you did the "double install trick" without realizing it?

Actually that's right, it is an upgrade and I'm trying to do a fresh install. I downloaded it directly from Microsoft when they were having their half off pre-order promo and followed their instructions on burning it to a DVD.

I guess I'll try the double install trick then (once I learn about it). I really don't want to have to install vista 64 beforehand.

Edit:
Yep, it worked, thanks!

Last edited:
Back