Win7 upgrade questions

Eva_Unit_0

[H]ard|Gawd
I know there have been a million threads about Win7 upgrades but they all end up digressing into pointless fighting about what will happen to people's XP keys. My question has nothing to do with this, so I started a new thread. I have two questions, though I realize it is entirely possible that the answers may not be known as of now. If this is the case, please just tell me instead of bickering about rumors from random web sites who claim to know.

Preface: I pre-ordered a copy of Home Premium.

1. Is windows 2000 a valid upgrade OS? I've heard several times that it is, but then I keep hearing about how WGA is used in the upgrade process. How would this work with win2k? Win2k has some very rudimentary WGA support but nothing like XP does. I'd love to use my win2k copy to upgrade since it's bordering on useless now anyway (when itunes and office both stopped supporting win2k it was pretty much dead, IMO)

2. Will it be possible to seamlessly transition from the RC to a regular win7 install? Basically, my girlfriend really wants the RC on her computer but she doesn't want to reformat again when the final version is released. Can the RC be upgraded in-place to the RTM version when it comes out?

I can answer number 2 simply. Don't. With a simple understanding of what RC code is, compared to the final, released product, you'll see right away why you should wipe it clean and do a fresh install.

For #2, I've done three systems now RC to RTM upgrades and the only issue I had was the Intellipoint mouse application one of the laptops needed to be updated. Since it wipes out the entire old install and just reimports the settings it works pretty good.

That said, for my primary system I'm going to do a fresh install. I don't care if my laptop, media pc, or wife's computer have problems as much as my gaming system.

Note: You do have to change the ini file in order to use the upgrade over the RC, just like from Beta to RC.

Last edited:
I'd advise against trying to upgrade an RC to an RTM in place, but you can minimize your workload by partitioning the hard drive. Give about 30GB or so to your Windows boot, and a second partition for your other stuff with the remaining space. Move the My Documents folder to the second partition. Install all your programs to the second partition.

When you're ready to install the RTM, go through the registry and export some snippets for programs that need it (save them on your second partition). You might also want to move over your Start\Programs shortcuts. Then wipe the 30GB boot partition and do a fresh install there. After the install, point My Documents to the directory you made on the second HD, import the registry snippets, and copy back your Start menu shortcuts.

This will also save you headaches if your Windows install goes bad in the future -- just wipe the boot partition and reinstall. No need for messy Windows repairs.

Personally a clean install is the only way to go. Sure reinstalling apps is a pain but really, it takes WEEKS for me to install all the stuff I use. When building a new system I have a core set of things that I install, which really take only about 30 minutes of human intervention, the rest is just letting stuff install. A pain but it takes very little interactive time, just a lot of waiting.

WEEKS? Seriously? :p

Perhaps I should rephrase. Sitting down and installing everything that that I use at once would probably take the better part of two days if that's all I did. I just tend to install things over time as I need them. That usually takes weeks.

Perhaps I should rephrase. Sitting down and installing everything that that I use at once would probably take the better part of two days if that's all I did. I just tend to install things over time as I need them. That usually takes weeks.

That's why I always install applications to a different partition, and back up their registry entries. No need to reinstall, just reapply the registry data. For many applications, you don't even need to do that.

thanks for the responses guys. If microsoft's own site says win2k is fine then I guess I'll take their word for it :p I've just been worried that my upgrade will come and I won't have any way to install it.

What are these ini edits that people are referring to? I know that a fresh install is the best way to go and I'll probably just do that, but I want to at least test the upgrade on a test system and see the results.

thanks for the responses guys. If microsoft's own site says win2k is fine then I guess I'll take their word for it :p I've just been worried that my upgrade will come and I won't have any way to install it.

From my readings on Microsoft's site, Win2K is a valid upgrade for Win7 but you will have to install Win2K first and then run the Win7 setup using Win2K. You cannot boot from the upgrade Win7 DVD and use the Win2K Cd or key to validate your upgradable OS. :mad:

edit> Here's the response to the upgrade process,

In order to install the upgrade version of Windows 7, you must have a qualifying Windows operating system installed and activated. You cannot install an upgrade version of Windows 7 on a blank hard drive. The installation procedure does not ask you to insert a Windows disc in the drive for verification, the actual qualifying operating system must be installed.
If you do not have a qualifying Windows operating system installed with a genuine license activated, then you cannot use the upgrade version of Windows 7 - you would need a "full version" Windows 7 license.

In summary:

1. A qualifying Windows operating system must be installed, such as Windows XP or Vista. Windows 7 RC1 is not a qualifying O/S.
2. The qualifying Windows operating system must have a genuine license (product key) and it must be activated.
3. To upgrade, boot to the qualifying Windows desktop, insert the Windows 7 Upgrade disc in the DVD drive.
4. When the setup menu appears, select Custom (advanced) to initiate a clean install procedure.

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/GettingReadyforWindows7/threads

Last edited:
Back