Win7 through Boot Camp: 32-bit or 64-bit?

ryken

2[H]4U
Ok, I'm putting win 7 on my 13" macbook pro, and I wondering if I should go 32 or 64 bit. It is a stock 2.26, with 2GB of RAM. Anyone have bad experiences with one or the other?

I would go with 64 bit there are no differences, and if you ever decide to upgrade to 4/+ gigs of RAM, you will be able to use all of it no problem. There is also no difference in the installation process, and all of the BootCamp drivers work in 64 bit.

I'm running 32 bit, but that is simply because I haven't been able to boot from any of the 64 bit disks I've tried. I'm running a 2.2GHz C2D based MBP, so I'm not sure what the issue is.

Thanks for the advice guys! I went 64 bit, and all is well and good, except of course the touch pad, which is abysmal in win7. Come on Apple, I promise to use OSX 95% of the time, and I'll buy a magic mouse, if you just give me some better touch pad drivers for windows!

What's the deal with Apple indicating new drivers and what not for Win7 before the year's end? Is that "official" support for Win7? Glad to see it's working for everyone so far.

Is that "official" support for Win7?

Bingo. There'll be improvements when the official support comes, but nothing's stopping you from installing Windows 7 in Boot Camp or a VM right now.

I personally went w/ 32 bit on my macbook just due to some inconsistencies that I experienced w/ some of the keyboard utilities. I had 64 bit on there but then none of the apple specific utilities wanted to function.

Having an MSDN license makes it convenient though... I have Win 7 64bit on my desktop and wouldn't have it any other way :)

I have had Windows 7 on my Core Duo iMac fulltime since the public beta (now the retail) and its been great. Obviously since my iMac is a Core Duo model with no EMT64 support, I had to use the 32bit version of WIndows 7. Doesn't hamper its ability to be a great beadroom HTPC though.

I'm only using it for taking exams, so if some of the little stuff doesn't work, it's fine. The program limits use of anything that isn't basic text editing anyway.

None of you had audio issues with 7 on bootcamp? I have the 64bit version installed on my MBP 13" and I had sound issues. It was really low sound and everytime audio plays, the optical light in the headphone jack comes on. Had to get a modded driver for the audio to play loud, but the light still comes on...Just curious if you guys running 64bit are having the problem. Apparently it's with bootcamp 3.0 and only 64bit windows.

None of you had audio issues with 7 on bootcamp? I have the 64bit version installed on my MBP 13" and I had sound issues. It was really low sound and everytime audio plays, the optical light in the headphone jack comes on. Had to get a modded driver for the audio to play loud, but the light still comes on...Just curious if you guys running 64bit are having the problem. Apparently it's with bootcamp 3.0 and only 64bit windows.

I had something similar on my wife's mb... I never tested the audio but I had the same red optical issues. That was when I decided no x64 on our apple laptops :p

Ah, that blows. I hope my wife's doesn't break as she has to use the headphone jack daily for school.

I don't think I've ever plugged headphones into my uni mb in the year that i've had it.

Back