Win7: Stream MKVs to media center extenders w/o transcoding

SC385

[H]ard|Gawd
DivX has created a new Media Foundation codec that will allow extenders such as the 360 to play MKVs with h264 encoding and ac3 audio without transcoding. I haven't tried this out myself since my router died and my xbox is no longer networked but people on thegreenbutton are saying it works.

http://labs.divx.com/mkvwin7preview

The venerable AC3Filter has an ACM filter as well as a DirectShow filter.

After a clean install of the Win 7 RC build, I installed the DivX MKV Preview - tried an MKV.. No sound..

Then I installed AC3Filter, unchecked the "DirectShow Filter" at the installation prompt - tried and MKV again.. Annnnd... Sounds! And Pictures! :)

Seems that people on TheGreenButton have gotten it to work flawlessly. I'm going to wire my htpc directly to the xbox to try this.

Thats awesome, Im totally going to try this. I love my PS3 as a media extender hopfully now I can fraking play the other 50 percent of everything Ive aquired.

I might have to try this with my PS3 soon. I need to get the Windows 7 RC first however. :p

wow... i always thought how cool the 360 would be if it could stream high def... coool

So, does this work in Extender mode or only from the Dashboard??

So, does this work in Extender mode or only from the Dashboard??

From what I've read, it works in extender mode. So far I've only tried it on my htpc for splitting mkvs but I seem to get the audio to work but that was only trying one file for about 10 minutes today. I plan on putting some time into it this weekend when I have time and a new router.

Now this is a cool new thing... gotta love how DivX automagically classifies .mkv as a DivX 7 format, though... funny. I'm going to guess there's no way to make this some kind of proprietary thing that only plays back DivX 7 encoded .mkv contained content, of course. It better play any .mkv h264/x264 file you can throw at it or that'll create a rift...

But very cool, I hope it works out as they're hoping.

Back