Win7 stops responding to mouse clicks on windows or taskbar

IcarusSC

Gawd
Started happening a couple of days ago; no new software that I'm aware of. After running for a while (after fifteen minutes in one case, after twelve hours in another) the computer suddenly stops responding to mouse clicks in windows (active or inactive) or in the task bar. I can still right-click on the desktop and choose stuff from the desktop menu, but on the windows that pop up (like the customization window), I can't choose anything.

I've switched mice and ports to confirm that the mouse is not the problem.

The only way I've found to make it stop is to reboot the computer.

Anyone have any idea what's going on? :confused::confused:

sounds like explorer is crashing, not sure why though, have you installed any new applications recently?

I'd run an sfc /scannow and a checkdisk /r /f (though i've been told the /f is redundant as the /r is all encompassing)

Started happening a couple of days ago; no new software that I'm aware of. After running for a while (after fifteen minutes in one case, after twelve hours in another) the computer suddenly stops responding to mouse clicks in windows (active or inactive) or in the task bar. I can still right-click on the desktop and choose stuff from the desktop menu, but on the windows that pop up (like the customization window), I can't choose anything.
Do you get the same results in safe mode?

OK, I'm back with more data (and more frustration). The symptoms, such as they are, seem to be worsening. Now it starts about one minute after logging into Windows, and I can no longer right-click on anything. The mouse pointer still moves around, and when I unplug it and plug it back in, it'll work for a split-second before it stops working again -- just long enough to click once.

I ran sfc /scannow and got no errors. I ran chkdsk /r (and waited for five hours for it to finish!) and also got no errors. But the problem is still there.

I did a system restore back to the day before I started having problems (the restore point was a critical Windows update on 3/23), but it didn't help at all. I can't move to an earlier point, as that's the earliest one I have.

Yes, I get the same results in safe mode.

I seriously have no idea at all what to do next. I will be deeply grateful for any insight that anyone can offer me.

Tried live-booting into Linux out of frustration, and it works just fine. It's a Win7 thing. I have NO IDEA what's going on. Any suggestions?

I think I've accidentally figured it out. It IS the darn mouse, after all. Here's the deal -- if the mouse receiver is plugged in when Windows starts, it screws up the mouse for the duration of the session, even if other mice are plugged in.

If I reboot with a different mouse plugged in and the wireless mouse receiver unplugged, the other mouse works just fine. Bizarre! I'l try a driver update for the mouse (a G7) to see if I can fix it permanently.

I think I've accidentally figured it out. It IS the darn mouse, after all. Here's the deal -- if the mouse receiver is plugged in when Windows starts, it screws up the mouse for the duration of the session, even if other mice are plugged in.

If I reboot with a different mouse plugged in and the wireless mouse receiver unplugged, the other mouse works just fine. Bizarre! I'l try a driver update for the mouse (a G7) to see if I can fix it permanently.
Glad you've zeroed-in on this. Make sure your mobo/chipset drivers are also updated (BIOS, if needed too), just in case the mouse is only a symptom of the problem.

Well, I realized it was the mouse when I decided to switch over to using my laptop, plugged in my wireless mouse receiver, and the same thing happened. Since they're completely different makes, models, and types of mobo/chipset, I'm thinking it must just be the mouse itself. Yes?

Well, I realized it was the mouse when I decided to switch over to using my laptop, plugged in my wireless mouse receiver, and the same thing happened. Since they're completely different makes, models, and types of mobo/chipset, I'm thinking it must just be the mouse itself. Yes?
Yes, this information does change the suggestions. Change out the mouse.

Back