Win7 slowed by Linux FW, Other OS's fine??

Cryptic1911

Limp Gawd
Hey guys, I have an odd problem with a relatively new Win7 machine and my firewall at the house. I have a Linux fw setup on an older pc, and I have been using it for a while now. We upgraded to 60Mbit internet from 25, and we noticed an issue with the Win7 machine:

OSX to Linux fw to cable modem = 64Mbits
FreeBSD to linux fw to cable modem = 64Mbits

Win7 to Linux fw to cable modem = ~22Mbits
Win7 to cable modem = 64Mbits
Win7 to FreeBSD fileserver = gigabit speeds (~100-110MB/s)

Now the weird part is that ANY other OS I get 64Mbits going through the fw.. Xp, Mac OS, FreeBSD, etc. it seems like only Win7 is getting limited when going through the fw, and I don't have anything fancy setup.. just have a couple ports forwarded

I even tested this with 2 virtual machines running on my mac. Ubuntu gets 64Mbits, Win7 vm gets ~22Mbits, so its definately a 7 issue only

speedtest.net, and other sites for quick numbers. I know speedtests don't show the whole picture, but even downloading files are slow on that machine compared to others. It is faster than my Mac hardware wise, but the Mac can download files at ~7800kb/s, and the Win7 machine is in the 2000's

I can goto speedtest.net and pick a site that I know will max my connection, and get 64Mbits on the Mac, and then turn around and pick the same site on the Win7 machine, and get 22Mbits. It isn't a matter of powerboost, as I have a straight 60/5 package without powerboost

Oh, and I forgot to add, both the Win7 physical machine, and the Win7 vm, and the Ubuntu vm are all brand new installs

Well, I don't know what the exact issue was, but I think it was a combo of Windows 7 not liking something with my Iptables + Linux setup. I ended up swapping machines and installing pfSense, and now the Win7 machines operate at full speed like I was expecting

Back