win7 rtm: "a required cd/dvd drive device driver is missing"

Eva_Unit_0

[H]ard|Gawd
I got win7 rtm from MSDNAA and I'm having a very bizarre issue trying to install it. When it gets to the part when it shows the hard disks it says "a required cd/dvd drive device driver is missing" and prompts me to insert a disk or usb drive. I understand that this means it needs sata/raid drivers. But here's the weird part: I definitely shouldn't need to load drivers. Win 7 RC sees the disks just fine. Win XP and 2000 see them fine. It's just win7 rtm that doesn't.

I've tried on two different systems: one is an Geforce 6150se/Nforce 430 and one is an old i830/ich2 pentium 3 system. They have both run the win7 rc just fine. Why is this happening? Could my .iso be incomplete or corrupted? I would assume that the MSDN downloader does a checksum, but maybe not? My md5sum for the 32-bit rtm iso is 2316da980f95120702a7c3568a4bf9d9. Does anyone have one to compare? Or does anyone have any ideas why my rtm disc can't see any hard disks, even plain old IDE disks on old machines?

EDIT: ok, it only affects my 32-bit image. My 64-bit image works fine. Normally I wouldn't care since 64-bit is generally the way go to, but I was hoping to install this on an old XP rig which is 32-bit only. I guess I'll re-download the image and see what happens.

Last edited:
I had this problem once before, and replacing my ancient IDE burner with a $25 SATA model did the trick. Oddly enough, booting the CD from an external USB burner worked, too.

i had this same issue last night!

my PATA cd/dvdrom is connected with one of those PATA-->SATA converters (so i can connect the PATA drive to SATA port on mobo)...i took taht out and connected the drive via PATA cable and it worked.

luckily my new mobo had a PATA port ...

So it sounds like perhaps this is a weird cdrom drive issue? In that case I'll try making a bootable USB drive and installing from there. I'll post back with the results after work.

My IDE DVD-ROM drive that was about 9 years old didn't work either. I have a new SATA DVD/CD writer on the way from newegg:D

In this case, it turns out my download was corrupted. I don't know how--honestly, I'm rather surprised that the little downloader program doesn't do a checksum. I re-downloaded the iso and now it's a little bit bigger and (obviously) has a different md5. Interesting that some people are having problems with older dvd drives though.

Back