Win7 - Reboot during chkdsk on 2nd drive

fubak

Supreme [H]ardness
I've been getting some disk errors on my 2nd drive (non-system), and so I decided to run chkdsk via the Win7 utility today. Well, it told me that it had to dismount the drive in order to run, so I said Yes. Part of the way through it, my son hit the power button, causing the system to shutdown.

So, it finally booted into Windows, although very slowly. Now I am in, but my 2nd drive isn't showing up in Device Manager or anywhere else. any ideas?

Last edited:
Check Disk Management window. Just type in Disk Management into the start/search field. The second hard drive should be listed as Disk 1.

It's not there either. I tried doing a 'Scan for new hardware' and nothing...

I just rebooted again and the BIOS isn't seeing the drive anymore. Any ideas?

I just rebooted again and the BIOS isn't seeing the drive anymore. Any ideas?
Yep. Power down the system and disconnect the second HDD power and sata cable, then power the system back up. Once it's powered back up, shut it down and reconnect the drive to a different sata port.

Sometimes uninstalled hardware can get 'stuck' in Windows configuration and it needs to be removed and reinstalled. It happens to me at work some times. If I have an image of a machine and reimage a workstation but one of the peripheral cards is not in the same slot as the one that was copied from, I'll have to unplug the card, bring the system back up, then shut down and put it back in, and bring the system back up. It will grab the driver and quickly reinstall.

Last edited:
It can also occur that the chkdsk + sudden power outage caused the drive to die. (Espically if you were already getting errors on the drive.) We used to see this in setup all the time, I ran setup and then my HD died! Setup must have killed it! (We'd then run diagnostics and see S.M.A.R.T. failures up the ying-yang.)

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

It died. Shortly after making this post, I could hear metal grinding sounds coming from the drive. I ordered a new one :(

If there is important data you need off of it, you can try the freezer trick. Put it in a ziploc bag, and freeze it for a couple of hours, and the plug it in fast and see if you can pull data off of it.

(Cold cause the parts to contract, which sometimes gives you just enough time before the parts heat up to pull the important data off)

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Back